OYOA Goes to Utah - Archery elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, a few winks of sleep here in Pocatello, and I am heading the truck back south to prepare for the next episode of On Your Own Adventures.

This will be an archery elk hunt in Utah. A good friend, Andrew Crow, drew this tag at the Western Hunting Expo in Salt Lake City, last February. As he was filling out the application, he laughed and said if he was lucky enough to draw, he would love to let OYOA film it. Little did he know.

This will be a different type of hunt from a production standpoint. We are going to try do this different than all our past episodes. I am not going to be in the episode, but will be there to help with all aspects of production. Especially the most important aspect, such as carrying an extra pack of batteries, water, tapes, supplies; cooking and anything menial that needs to be done around camp; and doing whatever the two camera guys tell me to do.

Andrew's side kick on this hunt will be his brother-in-law, Mark Seacat. Yup, this is the Andrew and Mark of Mystery Ranch Backpacks. Not only are they co-workers and have been friends for a long time, but they are also now related through marriage.

This hunt will be on the famed Monroe Unit. Not sure how famous it was prior to last year, when a big bull, called the Spider Bull made his appearance and became the talk of the hunting web world as he grew all summer, and then when we was shot last fall. I don't think Andrew has any Spider Bull expectations.

I am going to try my best to keep you updated on the hunt, but will also try to give you an idea of what goes on behind the scenes of producing one of these episodes. Something Bugler probably got too much of while being the focus of the New Mexico archery antelope episode.

My goal is to show just how much extra work goes in to producing 22 minutes of hunting TV. Not just following guys around and taping a kill shot, but telling the entire story. How tags were acquired, why the hunters find OYO hunting so compelling, providing information so others can learn from this hunt, bringing to a focus the history of these hunters and their experiences that have brought them to this point, and many other things.

I am still amazed to see how much tape we end up with, and how little gets used. Not because lots of it is low quality, but because we end up with so much good stuff, that it is hard to pick what to use. Example - we just returned from New Mexico and on that archery antelope hunt, we took 25 hours of tape, for 22 minutes of TV. We will use less than 1/60th of the tape we took.

That is a lot of extra work. You cannot take that much tape without have some disruption to time you would have been hunting, or to the tactics and strategy of the hunt itself.

If you saw all the tape, you would see why we set up in a manner that might be our fourth choice option from a hunting perspective, but a slam dunk strategy from a filming standpoint. When you make capturing the best film as your highest priority, you have to make a lot of accommodations to your hunting. And as such, you will need a stroke of good luck, or plan on working very hard to muster many more opportunities, hoping one of them will come together as that perfect set-up, and an animal is taken on film.

Anyhow, re-loading for Utah. Wish us luck. More tomorrow.

Good luck and I look forward to your future posts! I just can't wait for the Arizona Elk Hunt in the near future! Any word from Buschy on his scouting trip?

I have been on that mountain a few times, you will have a fun hunt and see alot of elk. but good luck! there is decent cell service on alot of the mountain. if i had time today i'd buy you lunch when you pass thru Tremonton.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing some big bulls from this one.
Any word on Mark filling his tag yet?

Sounds great looking forward to seeing what becomes of this hunt for sure.

Have you heard any reports from them yet as to what they are seeing?

.....Have you heard any reports from them yet as to what they are seeing?

Big, Really Big, and Even Bigger than Really Big. But, with it being so far in front of the rut, it will be a difficult hunt. Keeping my fingers crossed that Andrew can get lined up on a lunker.

Any word on Mark filling his tag yet?

Nothing yet. He saw a lot of bulls, but so far, no blood on the ground.

Good luck guys I can't wait to follow the hunt. Glad to be in the bleachers this time as I know it is a lot of work, filming. Randy you have your hands full. Thanks again for everything.

Good luck!! If you need a pitstop in the SLC area, I'm willing to hand you a shake as you blow past on NB I-15.

Dam Fin already ! I am ready for a break away from the computer Im not sure I can take another week of this!! :) Good luck !! Im limiting myslef to checking the thread to only 10 times a day

Randy, I hope you can put something together on a volume one(season one)year ending on your own adventures dvd.That would be a good way to utilize some of that valuable footage that doesn't get used on the t.v. show.Show us not experienced (to the west)hunters some tricks on setting up a proper camp,proper hunt strategeis,quartering and taking care of game ect.The stuff you guys are used to out there but could make a hunt miserable for the not so experienced.Keep up the good work.

I agree with cornfed. Especially on the footage showing the field butchering and meat hauling the network won't let you show.

These Mystery Ranch guys will go to any extent to chase elk. We are about 30 miles back into the forest, and it took 2.5 hours to get here. Midnight now, so we are sleeping under the stars tonight. I came in here in the dark, so I hope I don't get turned around tomorrow, as I have no clue how the hell I would find camp.

Andrew and Mark scouted this evening and saw.........nothing. From their discussions, it sounds like "Go big, or go home." And, they plan to do it "spot and stalk," so this should be an interesting one to film.

Tired. Very tired, so I am signing off now. More tomorrow, after a morning of hunting. The things a guy will go through to get a cell reception, just to keep the Hunt Talk crowd informed.

I could definitely think of worse positions a guy could be in than that right now.....
Awesome that you're keeping us informed. Good luck!

These Mystery Ranch guys will go to any extent to chase elk. We are about 30 miles back into the forest, and it took 2.5 hours to get here.
World class times.:D Good luck.

Well, hiked into some glassing areas this morning. No elk. Came back and finally have camp organized.

Andrew and Mark have listed all the places they have been told to investigate, from talks they have had from hunters they have met. They must ask every customer who buys a pack, if they have hunted elk in Utah, and then de-brief them for info.

There is no way we will have time to check out all the places on their list. I think they have taken "internet scouting and research" to a new level. I thought I did pretty exhaustive job of scouring the web for info and contacts, but I might have to take a few notes from these guys.

This afternoon, we are all splitting up and going to different glassing locations, as it will take a lot of work to get eyes on a good bull. The more eyes, in different locations, the higher the odds of locating one.

It is really thick country here. I am wondering how a bull will be taken, once he is located. No calling - too early. Water everywhere, so plotting a waterhole strategy could be a gamble. Pretty much leaves spot and stalk. Hmmm.

Time for an afternoon nap.

Randy, how do you like that mini HP from Verizon? I havent ordered mine yet and since you are giving it the full test these last 2 weeks, figure your thoughts on it would be the most realistic for me.

You are making it really difficult to work! Good luck. I can't wait to hear what was spotted on todays outting.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back