Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Owner of Deadhorse Outfitters LLC charged and fined $20,000

AlaskaHunter

From the local newspaper:
Big game hunters told troopers in September 2021 that they had rented equipment from Deadhorse Outfitters LLC at mile 366.5 of the Dalton Highway. They reported that they rented drop camp equipment for approximately $300.
Callison, 44, was charged on June 22, 2022, and July 8, 2022, with felony perjury, four counts of misdemeanor outfitting or advertising a big game hunt without a license, and violating probation conditions.

Callison pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of misdemeanor outfitting or advertising a big game hunt without a license.
Judge Ben Seekins sentenced Callison to one year of probation and a $20,000 fine.

Gotcha.

Is it that big of a deal for a guiding service like them to have that license?

A $20,000 fine seems pretty steep. I think this must not have been their first time being talked to about this.

I might be wrong but I think they have their Transporter license but transporters are not allowed to provide equipment or “guide” the hunters being dropped off.

I might be wrong but I think they have their Transporter license but transporters are not allowed to provide equipment or “guide” the hunters being dropped off.
Yes and the whole "can't provide equipment" part seems a little grey and dumb to me. I've booked with a transporter on a past trip and I have two more on the books for October and next May. Flying into AK commercially and on a float plane restricts you from having isobutane on you. So no jetboil unless you get one where you land. From my two transporters coming up, one said they are legally allowed to provide me with isobutane and the other says its against the law for a transporter to provide it. I honestly don't know who is right.

Last edited:
Yes and the whole "can't provide equipment" part seems a little grey and dumb to me. I've booked with a transporter on a past trip and I have two more on the books for October and next May. Flying into AK commercially and on a float plane restricts you from having isobutane on you. So no jetboil unless you get one where you land. From my two transporters coming one, one said they are legally allowed to provide me with isobutane and the other says its against the law for a transporter to provide it. I honestly don't know who is right.
When I fly to remote places where I know I won't be able to buy fuel canisters, I take my MSR Dragonfly, XGK, or Whisperlite International because you can run them on anything; gasoline, diesel, kerosine.
NZ 2011 031 (2).JPG

When I fly to remote places where I know I won't be able to buy fuel canisters, I take my MSR Dragonfly, XGK, or Whisperlite International because you can run them on anything; gasoline, diesel, kerosine.
View attachment 286575
The guy that told me he could provide it just told me he can't charge me for it. Providing the fuel canister for free is legal, charging me for it would make it illegal.

The guy that told me he could provide it just told me he can't charge me for it. Providing the fuel canister for free is legal, charging me for it would make it illegal.
Idk but I think faa rules prohibit carrying the isobutane canisters in a plane

Idk but I think faa rules prohibit carrying the isobutane canisters in a plane
You are correct and thus the problem - I can't bring my own. Both of my transporters this year are by boat, not plane. So when I land and meet them on the docks to head out, I've asked them if they could have a few canisters of isobutane for me so I don't have to run around the town trying to find and buy some.

I
You are correct and thus the problem - I can't bring my own. Both of my transporters this year are by boat, not plane. So when I land and meet them on the docks to head out, I've asked them if they could have a few canisters of isobutane for me so I don't have to run around the town trying to find and buy some.
think that’s fairly common practice for stove fuel and bear spray.

Alaska’s regulations regards outfitting and guiding are really not that complex as long as you operate above board and follow the regulations. 20 years of guiding up there never got a citation never got a warning except one time I had neglected to sign my King Stamp. Got a warning for that. Alaska is full of people who want to be guides who just don’t want to be bothered with being licensed or bonded, or otherwise accountable when things don’t go well.
That being said, we had, when you included operating on Federal land; 17 different permits/licensing. Pain in the ass but you just had to do it. Really pissed me off when someone with no permits started trying to operate under the radar.
Biggest problem is folks coming up from America who are trying to cut a deal.

Yes and the whole "can't provide equipment" part seems a little grey and dumb to me. I've booked with a transporter on a past trip and I have two more on the books for October and next May. Flying into AK commercially and on a float plane restricts you from having isobutane on you. So no jetboil unless you get one where you land. From my two transporters coming up, one said they are legally allowed to provide me with isobutane and the other says its against the law for a transporter to provide it. I honestly don't know who is right.
The float plane doesn't have an outside the cabin storage area or pod for the iso and bear spray?

The float plane doesn't have an outside the cabin storage area or pod for the iso and bear spray?
If going on a float plane, yes they typically do from the two times I've been transported via float plane. That still doesn't help as you fly commercially in. Once you land, you are still in need of getting those items. Depending on the town and the time of day (and day as well) it may not be feasible to get those items from the local store. Plus you run the risk of them being out or in short supply.

For my trip to Kodiak in October coming up, the biggest concern for me was being able to get 4 canisters of bear spray for myself and the three others helping me on this hunt. We get in Saturday morning and likely can hit up Rays which isn't far from the docks to get them. However, I didn't want to risk not being able to get them as where we are going, it sounds like its almost a guarantee we will be seeing and having run in with a grizzly or two. Our transport out of Kodiak to the island my tag is good for will be from a boat and I asked the Captain if he would be able to secure some spray as well as butane for us so we can just arrive at the docks and go without having to worry about it. He said he couldn't charge me for it but was willing to help us out.

Quick question- can you buy butane, bear spray, etc. online, and then have it shipped to a local post office as “General delivery”, so they hold it there until you pick it up? I feel that any place with commercial flights would have a post office and shipping of some sort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back