Yeti GOBOX Collection

Poachers or unfairly treated ranchers?

mtmiller

I didn't read all the comments at the end of the article, but some certainly make me shake my head.

http://billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/02/06/news/state/43-sacoranch.txt

Saco ranch family members admit to hunting scheme
By CLAIR JOHNSON
Of The Gazette Staff

Three members of a Hi-Line family admitted Thursday that they ran an illegal hunting operation that brought in nonresident hunters who paid thousands of dollars to shoot big game on their ranch near Saco.

The scheme ran for five years, until investigators with the state Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks learned of it in 2003, federal prosecutors said. Investigators have since fined and seized mounts of poached animals from dozens of clients who participated in the illegal hunts.

In the fall of 2003, 10 whitetail and mule deer bucks were killed on the ranch by nonresident hunters who didn't have valid licenses.

Leo O. Bergtoll, 74, his wife, Anna Lou L. Bergtoll, 68, and their son, Darrel L. Bergtoll, 44, pleaded guilty to federal charges during their first appearance in U.S. District Court in Billings. A fourth defendant, Anthony J. Bazile, 60, of Braithwaite, La., was indicted separately, has pleaded not guilty and is set for trial April 6. Leo Bergtoll pleaded guilty to felony conspiracy to violate the Lacey Act, which regulates the sale, transportation and purchase of wildlife. Anna Lou Bergtoll and Darrel Bergtoll each pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of violating the Lacey Act.

Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert Anderson of Missoula said in court documents that the Bergtolls worked with Bazile, a longtime associate, to run a hunting business on their cattle ranch, the Frenchman Valley Ranch.

Bazile recruited clients for weeklong hunting trips in which he charged $800 a person to apply for a Montana landowner-sponsored buck deer license. Bazile would forward the client's name and application fee of $300 to Anna Lou Bergtoll and pocket the rest. Anna Lou Bergtoll would submit the client's name for the license drawing. Darrel Bergtoll, who owns a separate parcel of land nearby, also would submit clients' names from Bazile for licenses on his property, even though the clients hunted on his parents' ranch.

If clients failed to draw a license, Bazile urged them to come to Montana anyway and assured them that they would get licenses, Anderson said. The clients each paid another $1,200 outfitting fee when they arrived at the ranch.

Meanwhile, the Bergtolls got resident hunting licenses and asked other family members and hired hands to do the same. Leo and Anna Lou Bergtoll would buy the resident licenses from their employees for $100 and resell them to the nonresident hunters, who used them to tag animals they shot.

Trophy parts of illegally killed animals were sent to a nearby taxidermist for mounting or were sometimes taken home by the clients.

The Frenchman Valley Ranch had about 20 permanent wooden hunting blinds, a bunkhouse for clients and vehicles for Bazile and clients. Bazile cooked for the clients and told them which blinds to use. As payment for his "client wrangling" services, he kept at least one $1,200 hunting fee each season, Anderson said.

Leo Bergtoll faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine on the conspiracy count, while his wife and son face a maximum of one year in prison and a $100,000 fine on the misdemeanor.

U.S. Magistrate Carolyn Ostby continued their release without bond.

Published on Friday, February 06, 2009.
Last modified on 2/6/2009 at 12:41 am

Some interesting comments.....

The one about taxing ag land as Recreational or Commercial if they allow leasing/outfitting is one "back door" way to address the issue...
Again, it is time to call for higher taxes on all properties that sell or lease to outfitters. if the landowner wants to profit from the game, then the state (county) should tax that land at recreational or even commercial rates.

And a couple of the "miscellaneous" types...

while this is not legal its these people who are criminals not the landowners. quit your whining about not being able to hunt if you aren't a land owner. my suggesting is put your a** on the line or hundreds of thousands of dollars of land and you can hunt to. if you are a city person that is upset about hunting then don't live in the city. you don't deserve to hunt just because you exist. wake up and realize the risks that landowners really take. landowners have to insure themselves so when you are hunting/trespassing, trip, and shoot yourself they won't lose their land and lively hood. these people are not the norm, so don't criminalize all land owners.
The above one is interesting. Idaho gets around that by not allowing suit by hunters on landowners if no fees were charged for trespass. You can sue, but it will get tossed.

People make mistakes. These are Great people. I know them personally. They just got caught up in a bad situation. You can't judge people from one wrong doing. It is NOT our job to make such harsh judgements against other people. Especially if you do not know them. What they did was wrong, yes. I am not saying it is ok to do this. But STOP personal attacks. How would you feel if you were in their situation. They have family members that get on and read your comments. Would you like YOUR family members...children, parents, siblings...reading these types of comments towards you?! The Bergtoll family is one of the nicest families you will ever meet. I pray for them, and you should too!

These folks with their spiteful comments seem to be jealous other people have land. They want the priviledge of hunting where they choose, when the choose, and to he*% with the landowners. Well tough, as ranchers we darn well have a right to allow or not allow people on our land. Its our choice to let people hunt in certain pastures and keep them away from our livestock for the safety of our livestock and our livelihood. So darn tootin, you don't like it, go buy your own place. And for all those that enjoy hunting on block management acreage, stay on the block management areas. Don't force us ranchers to catch you sneaking around our cow pasture and run away when you see us coming. You know you were wrong to trespass, but you did it anyway. If you are a good hunter that is respectful of our land, animals, and us as owners, then we usually let you in. But the ones sneaking around, leaving gates open, and getting in around the livestock - run for the hills! So yep, don't like us ranchers when we stand up for ourselves, then go buy your own land. Then you can get whatever taxation and access you want.

This one is good....
Did I miss something? From what I read, all the animals were tagged. Does it matter if the hired hand uses his tag for someone else. There are say 1000 tags issued, and 1000 animals taken.

Wow, really a hotbutton issue up there. I enjoyed some of the comments, too.

Why not give each landowner 5 to 10 tags and let them give them out as they see fit? It wouldn't matter if they were out of state or in state hunters and they could charge what the market would bear. Would this work? What's wrong with it? Would it decrease the poaching?

So they made a few bucks. The deer would get hit on the highway anyhow.

Whipsaw-you mean to say our government was stupid enough to purchase lands that are land locked? Sounds like it is our governments own fault in the first place. Perhaps our government should sell all land locked parcels and only purchase public land with access.

Ranchers have been shooting wild game (which were called "nuisance animals" and still are by some) since the settling of this land, to protect the ranching families' interests (hay consumption and fence destruction to name a few). Might as well get paid for it.

They were only shooting one or two deer. These are some of the hardest working people you have ever met. Get off your own soap boxes and pull your heads out of your butts. I am not going to be attacking my own friends because they did something wrong.

From what I read, all the animals were tagged. Does it matter if the hired hand uses his tag for someone else. There are say 1000 tags issued, and 1000 animals taken.

WOW, mot -- "the evidence is clear that at least ten animals were taken one year, and probably a lot more, every year" -- There were probably more than that killed by vehicles on the road between their place and town every year. Not to mention that their ranch contains several hundred times that amount of animals for the hunters to choose from.

I must say alot of you are so quick to judge. But lets look at the facts. The news paper made Bergtolls out to be the bad guys. How about that Anthony. I haven't seen any comments about him. did any of you posters know that Bergtolls didn't go find him and tell him to round up hunters? thats an absolute true statement. Anthony knew Bergtolls and pushed for them to let him manage the hunting trips. Anthony was the one that told what hunters to go to what stand and sometimes drove the hunters to the stands. I don't see how this is guiding. Anthony didn't show the hunters where the deer were. Yes Bergtolls let stuff slide and didn't keep track of what Anthony was doing so yes they are in Fault there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back