Outfitter recomendations

huntaddict

I am looking for recommendations on archery drop camp outfitters in Colorado. I prefer wilderness camps based on lack of travel options for other hunters, but am open to other lands. Also would like to be in OTC or units that typically have leftover tags. Travelling from Michigan, so distance isn't an issue "what's another couple hundred miles" Thanks and good hunting.

The only thing I'd say about drop camps, (or fully outfitted hunts too), is to gather all the references you can from the Outfitter and call the hunters that hunted out of the drop camp. I'm sure there are some really good deals and hunting camps, but some I've seen are not in good areas, and not particulary well run outfits. Many of the camps are in areas with not all that much game, and walk in hunters are competing with the drop camp clients. In short, do your homework and try to ask questions that will help you discern the good from those that are not so swell.

I'm sure there are some really good deals and hunting camps, but some I've seen are not in good areas.

I agree, from what I have seen, the outfitters' best areas are reserved for guided clients. Get references and follow up with them. Also, ask to talk with successful and non-successful hunters. Ask them if they would go back.

We went with Bar H Outfitters on a drop camp hunt first rifle season in 2009. http://www.jbarhoutfitters.com/

Real good folks to work with. Good numbers of elk. We went 2 for 4 (1 cow 1 5x5). Should have gone 3 for 4. One buddy missed a chip shot on a bull opening morning. Only complaint I had was the number of hunters in the area. I heard more shots fired opening morning than the law should allow. From the references we talked to this seemed unusual for the area. We rode horses for 4 hours to get there. But apparently so did a lot of other folks. Overall good hunt.

We rode horses for 4 hours to get there. But apparently so did a lot of other folks. Overall good hunt.

I had to chuckle when I read your remarks about the 4 hour horse ride. You may be 100% accurate with an inference that you were 4 hours into the back country.
However, I once got packed into a camp that was at least as long a ride as that. A couple days later, we exchanged bugles with a "Big Bull". Turned out that Bull was another walk in hunter. I was a bit confused, as it was 8 am, and he had walked into the drainage. He pointed to a saddle between two peaks, and said he parked on the other side of that saddle. Later, when I got a quad map of the area, I noticed while we'd ridden up the drainage from it's end, he'd walked into it from it's head.
Moral of the story, know the country! Thing is, most Outfitters may want to be a bit vague as to exactly where they're taking you, as they don't want folks to bypass them and show up as DIY hunters.

Is this to be Outfitter Your 'Own' Adventure?
Please, post some pictures and scenery of your outfitted hunt at least?
So where was this exactly, I am looking to apply with some friends and have pp?

Has anyone used Smithfork ranches (Landsend outfitters) that operate out of Crawford ? Or San paghre outfitters ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back