Outdoor Expo Salt Lake City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooting a semi tame buck on an island state park. It’s so great the wonderful hunter conservationist is able to shoot a buck and put it in their trophy room. Would be a true shame if a deer just died of old age
Only way that seems to happen anymore is to be a dink azz buck its whole life and live a trophy management unit.

Usually with the AZ statewide tag, guides and outfitters will have some deer in mind already that they know of that they will use as a selling point to get the tag buyer to go along with them. It is a huge marketing opportunity for the guides to take the auction tag buck. Typically, not always, Mossback is already working with the tag buyer prior to the auction taking place and then helps find the guide who knows of a buck that can meet the buyers expectations. Many years that buck comes off the strip, but in some of the more recent years, the auction tag buck has been killed on the Kaibab. It's been a rough couple of years on the strip. Hope the recent moisture and removal of cameras helps it recover. It will be interesting to see what this year looks like.

I agree. If any of us had an obscene amount of money we wouldn’t hesitate to spend it on hunting tag auctions. It’s all relative based on a person’s net worth. If someone has enough money, these tags are an equivalent percentage of net worth to the amount many people pay for multiple out of state DIY hunts in a single year.

I agree. If any of us had an obscene amount of money we wouldn’t hesitate to spend it on hunting tag auctions. It’s all relative based on a person’s net worth. If someone has enough money, these tags are an equivalent percentage of net worth to the amount many people pay for multiple out of state DIY hunts in a single year.
Sign me up for that club.

Not that it will ever happen, but I wonder how I would go about doing any hunt I wanted and $$$ would never be a concern.

I hope that I wouldn't be the guy that gets a call from one of my guides on retainer telling me they found a ram for me in 680 and he is in a good place...we verified twice with an airplane. "When can you be here?"

I will have to dream that I wouldn't be that guy, but no way to know for certain. :D Shoot outs scare me a bit, so lucky me.

Antelope Island is probably a whole different experience.:ROFLMAO:

I wonder how much one of these guys would be willing to pay for a Greenhorn guided MT sheep hunt? Guaranteed you will have memories of a lifetime, but you will have to set aside 21 days. Backpack and meals will be provided by your guide, GH.

Sign me up for that club.

Not that it will ever happen, but I wonder how I would go about doing any hunt I wanted and $$$ would never be a concern.

I hope that I wouldn't be the guy that gets a call from one of my guides on retainer telling me they found a ram for me in 680 and he is in a good place...we verified twice with an airplane. "When can you be here?"

I will have to dream that I wouldn't be that guy, but no way to know for certain. :D Shoot outs scare me a bit, so lucky me.

Antelope Island is probably a whole different experience.:ROFLMAO:

I wonder how much one of these guys would be willing to pay for a Greenhorn guided MT sheep hunt? Guaranteed you will have memories of a lifetime, but you will have to set aside 21 days. Backpack and meals will be provided by your guide, GH.
Depends. Hippy hiking chick sightings or not?

Last year the AI tag was purchased and donated to a wounded veteran. Not sure if Jimmy John will do the same.
Would the AZ deer tag fetch the same price at another venue?

My African outfitter has a booth at the show. I think he would do better setting up at Calgary or Regina shows. Those oil patch guys have money ... and they usually know how to hunt. Very few if any African outfitters there for competition.

My African outfitter has a booth at the show. I think he would do better setting up at Calgary or Regina shows. Those oil patch guys have money ... and they usually know how to hunt. Very few if any African outfitters there for competition.
You can’t compare oil patch Canadians to the lower 48. You gotta remember why you moved north, less competition…

You can’t compare oil patch Canadians to the lower 48. You gotta remember why you moved north, less competition…
Those guys have the money and they like to hunt. It would be a lot more productive to take the,advertising to them than expect them to jump on a plane and fly to Salt Lake or Dallas. Yeah, sure there may be less competition for hunting up here, but I suppose one can only shoot so many moose and elk before thinking about expanding horizons, especially if they have the funds to explore options. For me, the opportunity to see fabulous new country and shoot nine or ten different animals in as many days while seeing maybe a thousand more critters of endless variety just beat any experience I've had hunting here all to pieces. No contest. And I've had some very memorable experiences hunting in Canada, Montana, and Idaho. I would never have gone to Africa if I hadn't met a fella at our local gun show who told me about his experiences. It was not what I thought it would be.

Last year my outfitter in Africa had thirty-two cancelations. Thirty-two! I was the only client at the lodge the nine days I was there. The cancelations were mostly Americans from the West. 2021 was worse but blame that on COVID (not cancelations, just no bookings). I think most of the 2022 cancelations were people too anxious to get away who discovered late they didnt have as much money on hand as expected. They opted instead to do more domestic tourism for whole family. You folks who live in Montana saw the consequences of that first hand. Tourists camping in parking lots etc. Anyway, you'd think that many cancelations would have made the lodge think more seriously about changing tactics. But they like visiting Salt Lake City so there ya go. It was NEVER my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Also $725k for the Arizona deer tag?!! I’m guessing the poor buck is already picked out
I apply on the strip after hunting it in 2005 and getting skunked. I doubt I'll ever draw again, but would like round #2. Very cool place.

You want to interpret that question?
Yeah the people watching. Did you notice the gaggles of dudes with pearl white teeth from overdoing Crest white-strips, the pearl beads on men's jeans back pockets, the EXCELLENT finely trimmed LONG beards, tight MMA fight shirts, accompanied by thick makeup women wearing the same clothes with bolt-ons WAY too big pushing baby strollers?

I only went to the first couple years and that was enough. The lure of premium ($5 🤣) hunts that had to be validated in person was only worth it a couple times when I was younger and before I suspected it was likely rigged. Thanks @Big Fin for making my last trip unnecessary. We kinda look alike. :D

I did go with a couple great crews and in 2007/2008 was thrown out of a family restaurant with numerous others, and made a "Mormons Gone Wild" video after hours that was just excellent. I'll take my chances in the regular draw.

But your primer find. That would have made it worth the trip for sure.

I have friends that are required to go for work. Will get their perspective as I can't believe it's better now, than a decade plus ago. They refer to it as the "Halloween for Hunters." The UTAH idea of big game permit allocation is FPHUCKED and that show is the end all of it.

Yeah the people watching. Did you notice the gaggles of dudes with pearl white teeth from overdoing Crest white-strips, the pearl beads on men's jeans back pockets, the EXCELLENT finely trimmed LONG beards, tight MMA fight shirts, accompanied by thick makeup women wearing the same clothes with bolt-ons WAY too big pushing baby strollers?

If you want to be able to expand further on your vivid description, become familiar with the soft swinging Mormon housewives of momtok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back