Outdoor edge Razor lite VS Havalon

TimeOnTarget

Whats the verdict on these 2 knives?

I'm looking for a knife to use in the field for quartering/gutting elk/deer.

I hear great things about the havalon in terms of sharpness but seems a little to breakable for a guy who is hard on knives. (me)

Is the razor lite from Outdoor edge better in terms of durability? Is it as sharp?

Has anyone used both? did one stand out as a better knife than the other?

Looking forward to your hearing your input.

I also just went through the pros and cons of each of these knives. I ended up going with the outdoor edge. Everyone I talked to said that they havalon was a pain to change blades on when you're cold and your hands are wet. I haven't gotten to use the OE yet, but so far I am pleased. It seems a lot more durable than I expected. Hopefully I will be able to provide some insight on how it holds up on an elk after this weekend!

Havalons are easy to break and hard to change. Sharp though, very sharp.

I have both I think the havalon with the thicker blades is sharper, easier to carry, butchered a lot of animals last few years with the havalon system, I just break the blade off to change lots easier,

I have bought a few of the outdoor edge EDC and blades for me and my son and father, been butchering birds with them so far, cant wait to try on a elk next week,,,,

I actually just bought a razor-blade. I'm impressed by it. Although I've never held a havalon so I can't compare them, it's plenty sharp enough. Easily shaves the hair on my arm. Feels great and the lock is solid. Changing the blades is a breeze too, the button release is very nice.

The blades are big enough you can sharpen them after you're finished if you'd want to. Besides the 3-4 oz weight loss and it probably losing it's edge quicker than a havalon, I didn't see any additional benefit of the havalon. I preferred the peace of mind of using a bigger, more solid knife and went the the OE one.

I don't really think you can go wrong either way, just a matter of which knife works better for you.

i have been using the havalon for the past 5+ years and will never even bother to look for another blade. my dad got the outdoor edge for free for buying a magazine subscription or something, and i really wasn't too impressed (says something to me that they were giving it away...). the havalon blades really aren't that bad to change, and if you carry a leatherman, then they are super easy. as for durability, i can usually bone a deer with one blade...two for an elk. when i do break a blade, it's usually only in separating a joint or at the end of the process when i'm taking the hide off the skull. i'm at the point where i really don't care what else other companies release...i'm sold on the havalon.

I used the OE for the first time last year on two deer and an elk. VERY sharp (just ask my thumb :) ) and plenty durable. There is a BIG difference in the ease of changing blades. That was the big gest factor for me. Go to the store and try them while imagining cold, wet hands and blood. Both will cut like nobody's business but the OE is great IMO.

Havalon Bolt and I ordered size 60 blades from a surgical supply online. The size 60 is thicker than the 60XT or 60A you can buy from Havalon and half the price from a surgical supply. Easy to change the blade with a Leatherman or a needle nose plier.

Ditto on a lot of what has been said. I have both and use both. I prefer the size of outdoor edge for skinning and replacing blades without pliers is much easier.
For any work around the skull or more precise cuts it's tough to beat the havalon.
Also I believe blades for havalon may need replacing more often but are much less expensive

I just got back from an antelope hunt and used the Razor Lite for the first time. It was OK and did what was expected of it. I also have a Havalon. I sharpened both of them before use, as they are not really as sharp as the claim. If you cannot sharpen a knife, they are both a good option, though.

As has been stated, the ease of blade replacement makes the Outdoor Edge a better knife in my opinion and they are both light and handy.

I prefer my fixed blade knives for heavy work, as I can sharpen them to my specifications and they can be used a lot harder. The Havalon is a great knife for skinning coons, etc., but for me is a little light for the elk work.

I don't go through many blades, as I sharpen the blade until it breaks or whatever.

I helped a buddy bone out an elk and he was using an Outdoor Edge knife. I was using a Bubba Blade and it performed much better than the knife that he was using. I had to sharpen his knife several times. It seemed like it dulled quickly, even after he replaced the blade.

Overall, I think the Razor Lite is a bit more durable and the blades are easier to replace. Both it and the Havalon are good knives for what they are. The razor will ride in my pack along with my heavy knives during my elk hunt.

i have been using the havalon for the past 5+ years and will never even bother to look for another blade. my dad got the outdoor edge for free for buying a magazine subscription or something, and i really wasn't too impressed (says something to me that they were giving it away...). the havalon blades really aren't that bad to change, and if you carry a leatherman, then they are super easy. as for durability, i can usually bone a deer with one blade...two for an elk. when i do break a blade, it's usually only in separating a joint or at the end of the process when i'm taking the hide off the skull. i'm at the point where i really don't care what else other companies release...i'm sold on the havalon.

This has been my experience as well.
I now carry a Piranta and a Bolt in my pack.

My old Piranta had a few screws fall out and the lock back quit working,
HAVALON sent me a brand new knife, sheath and 12 blades FREE!
It was 7 years old. I am sold on Havalon.

I have used the Havalon for the last 3-4 years. I have the small one and the filet knife.

I liked it so much that I bought 60 blades for the small one and 30 or so for the big one so I don't see myself changing anytime soon in the near future.

I have both knifes,,and actually got both of them "free" with subscriptions to eastmans,,,,havalon about 5 yrs ago and oe last year on a subscription promotion also.both are nice,,havalon is lighter but I have broke a few blades,,,oe also works nice and is easyer to change blades but heavyer,,havnt broke a blade yet on the oe..I recommend both,,especially if you can get them for free.

I used the OE this year. I was expecting more. Not terribly sharp and didn't hold an edge as long as I had hoped. Certainly not a bad knife but didn't live up to all the hype either. I'll just stick with my spyderco and benchmade.

I have both and really like them. I use the Havalon for skinning and gutting where I'm not getting into any sort of heavy work that I may break the blade. I use the OE for quartering and deboning where I need a more sturdy blade to work in muscles and joints. I find it silly when people complain about blades snapping on a Havalon when quartering and deboning an elk, when you look at the thin blade, it should be obvious that it's not made for that sort of use. But, the blade are scary sharp on both knives. I also use them when I break down hogs at home for butchering. I also can't sharpen a knife to save my life...lol It's one of those skills I never acquired no matter how hard I tried.

Last edited:
I have both and really like them. I use the Havalon for skinning and gutting where I'm not getting into any sort of heavy work that I may break the blade. I use the OE for quartering and deboning where I need a more sturdy blade to work in muscles and joints. I find it silly when people complain about blades snapping on a Havalon when quartering and deboning an elk, when you look at the thin blade, it should be obvious that it's not made for that sort of use. But, the blade are scary sharp on both knives. I also use them when I break down hogs at home for butchering. I also can't sharpen a knife to save my life...lol It's one of those skills I never acquired no matter how hard I tried.

I quit sharpening knives for the most part too. I just send mine into the manufacturer and have a knife back in a few days that is scary sharp. I believe my spyderco and benchmade both come back sharper than the OE blades are.

I still have to sharpen the kitchen knives though. My wife has those dull in about 30 seconds.

I have both and like both. I have noticed on the OE if it gets gunky in the works the blade won't stay in until cleaned well. I would like to try the Gerber too (I'm a knife junky)

I do think I will look into those heavier blades for the Havalon.

I do always carry a good fixed blade knife for the heavy cutting.

I bought the OE this year and we used it on two mule deer. I was really impressed with it like stated above they do get gunky at times. I was able to gut skin and debone one deer without the blade getting dull. did have to switch half way through the second deer though. Jut a side question what does everybody do with their spent up or broken blades? I feel some of the weekend warrior road hunters would just leave them in the gut piles for critters to eat. I had a small plastic container I put mine in the size of a deck of cards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back