Out of nowhere I may be getting a new rig......

Love my 28 and I don't handload. I feel the recoil isn't much different than my 300WM. BC is better though for long range shooting.

You have an '06, so that tells me you are fine with the tried and true. Why not just stick with a tried and true .300WM then?
On the other hand, having a .28 NOS would be pretty cool too.
That is part of the draw of the 28 to me....outside the old school :)

I was an '06 only hunter for nearly 20 years until I got a 300 RUM. The recoil in a light 700 Rem CDL made it awful to shoot and really took the excitement out of a new rifle. 2 years ago I got a Tikka in 7mm RM. I loved it instantly, started reloading, and love it even more. If this new rig was a factory gun I would say go with your gut, get something fun like the 28 and if you change your mind, sell it. However, a custom gun you would probably want to hold on to for a long time so I would go with a standard 7mm or 300WM and let the fun be the new rifle itself. You will enjoy it more the more you get to shoot it.

30 cal guy wanting more "punch" why not go with the 30 nosler?

I am thinking about building my own 30 nosler. In the mean time I keep going back to the tikka t3 in 300 wsm. With a 24 inch barrel can still push the bullet to almost max.

30 cal guy wanting more "punch" why not go with the 30 nosler?

I am thinking about building my own 30 nosler. In the mean time I keep going back to the tikka t3 in 300 wsm. With a 24 inch barrel can still push the bullet to almost max.
Not an available option...or, believe me I would :)

Not an available option...or, believe me I would :)
Can't go wrong with the 28 nosler. Barrel life might be shorter than with the 30. Personally I would rather own a 280 AI. My hunting rifles go on a pack. Even with a 22-24 inch barrel , I still get it caught on limbs in the bush. When I build the 30 nosler, it will pull double duty in the field and on the range.

If you are going to shoot the gun a lot I wouldn’t go 28 nosler. Especially if it’s a once in a lifetime gun

Truth is that even the '06 doesn't get shot what most would call a lot. My shooting shoulder has had work done and will only tolerate so much (yes anything more powerful, and maybe even the '06, will be getting a brake and cushy recoil pad). I generally won't shoot more than a box of '06 unless absolutely necessary. I shoot the 17HMR quite a bit for practice.

First, I hope this happens for you, Merry Christmas! Because of your shoulder issue, I compared these cartridges by recoil. Low to high: Creedmoor, 6.5/284. 7 mag, 300, 28. My pick would be the fast 6.5 because of efficiency. You can rev up your '06 to near 300 wm power just by using Hornady Superformance ammo.

Buy a 28Nos. Its not going anywhere. Many manufactures are making guns for it now., and many ammo makers are also. My buddy has one in Browning. Its a great gun, shoots 3/4 MOA.

I have a Nos 30, in Nosler M48 custom just because its that much better than the .30 for big game, but not as good as an all around gun. Mine shoots 1/2" MOA, with two types of ammo. If I were looking for one gun it would be the 28. It may be the .27 when it comes out.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back