Our WY meat bucks… lol…

Nice Bucks! My WY buck had a 3/4" fat cap this year, it was insane. The locals were pissed when I told them about it. Said it meant a terrible winter was ahead for them. I figured it meant he was loading up on fat for the upcoming rut (and winter).

They should be happy. It’s more likely it meant that forage was great this spring and summer.

They should be happy. It’s more likely it meant that forage was great this spring and summer.
Yes we had a very interesting year in WY. Technically we are in a drought, but early moisture especially across the South 1/2 of the state means there is a ton of feed and in good shape.

There were places this fall where the grass was waist deep and so think you could not see the ground. The brush all did better and put on good new growth.

I feel a couple things happened. Wet spring and early summer meant good early growth. Population of deer and elk are down, more feed… The number of cattle on most ranches are down due to economic issues, again more feed.

I also fully believe that recent horse round ups have also made a big impact on the range. Almost immediate improvement in some areas…

Yes we had a very interesting year in WY. Technically we are in a drought, but early moisture especially across the South 1/2 of the state means there is a ton of feed and in good shape.

There were places this fall where the grass was waist deep and so think you could not see the ground. The brush all did better and put on good new growth.

I feel a couple things happened. Wet spring and early summer meant good early growth. Population of deer and elk are down, more feed… The number of cattle on most ranches are down due to economic issues, again more feed.

I also fully believe that recent horse round ups have also made a big impact on the range. Almost immediate improvement in some areas…
Yes. I own a little place is Carbon County and the wildflowers were crazy this year, and went well into July. My wife’s pronghorn this year was loaded with fat, more than I’ve ever seen on a pronghorn.

I transplanted a few trees this year, and due to work I had to be gone most of August. The wife didn’t make the two hour drive up there, and I expected them to be toast when I got back. I was honestly pissed, I had probably 500 bucks in gas invested in planting and watering through trees.

Got back up there finally in September and they looked great. The ponderosa looked better than the last time I got up there water. On the one hand, I picked a terrible year to do this with gas prices. On the other hand, it was a good year for moisture up there, and the habitat seems to have improved with good feed and fewer mouths to feed.

Saw a lot of young deer this year too.

Yes. I own a little place is Carbon County and the wildflowers were crazy this year, and went well into July. My wife’s pronghorn this year was loaded with fat, more than I’ve ever seen on a pronghorn.

I transplanted a few trees this year, and due to work I had to be gone most of August. The wife didn’t make the two hour drive up there, and I expected them to be toast when I got back. I was honestly pissed, I had probably 500 bucks in gas invested in planting and watering through trees.

Got back up there finally in September and they looked great. The ponderosa looked better than the last time I got up there water. On the one hand, I picked a terrible year to do this with gas prices. On the other hand, it was a good year for moisture up there, and the habitat seems to have improved with good feed and fewer mouths to feed.

Saw a lot of young deer this year too.
Always wished I had a cabin/place down that way. Love the area…. Maybe someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back