Our version of your Steelhead

devon deer

Things have been very slow for me this year hunting our Sea Run Brown trout, they return to spawn and are then called Sea Trout.
I had 14 night time visits (they rarely get caught during the day unless the river has a little colour in it) to no avail, but finally I have started to catch, this was one of three I caught last night, I returned the other 2, I started fishing at 10.25pm and things went dead so finished just before midnight.
They range in size from 12oz (Peal) up to the largest I have ever caught, 9lb, many years ago they would get to 11lb on our river but not these days.
Fingers crossed this is just the start.

In the second photo you can see the 'wake' lure I skated across the river surface, you should try it on your Steelhead!

Cheers
Richard
IMG_20200715_233816693.jpg

IMG_20200715_233828597.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the photos. I didn’t realize your browns also silvered up after a sea run, but makes sense I guess. Hope they keep biting for you 😁
Thanks!
We affectionately call them the silver leaper, this one had been in a few weeks, but I put up a video on my Instagram page today releasing the peal, it was very fresh and silver.
Cheers
Richard

Let the fun begin. Best of luck to you for the rest of the season. Do you have a client in tow or are these trips for your own personal mental health?

Let the fun begin. Best of luck to you for the rest of the season. Do you have a client in tow or are these trips for your own personal mental health?
Thanks Sawtooth, I don't guide Sea Trout, just for friends, I caught these on the same stretch I took you, in fact the first one was where you almost stumbled into the river, I shouldn't laugh, I almost did the same thing releasing the fish!
So yes, just for my own pleasure really.

I have my first clients tomorrow since lock down, a mother and son fishing for brown trout, she is very experienced, he has been taught to cast by her recently, it should make for an interesting time on the river.

Cheers

Richard

Nice photos. Word on the street is some steelhead are showing up.

Now that is a Sea Trout, I am aware they have some awesome Sea Trout fishing there, a bit windy though? ;)
I also hear the Falkland Islands have some big fish there too.
Cheers
Richard
The wind can really blow but generally down river. You can almost always find a pool in your beat that you can have it to your advantage.

Ever since Fish Locker became my favorite fishing youtube channel I have wanted to head to the UK for a fishing trip.

Ever since Fish Locker became my favorite fishing youtube channel I have wanted to head to the UK for a fishing trip.
I never knew of that channel, mainly because I mainly fly fish the rivers, lakes and coast.
But, my friend runs a guiding service off the North coast of Cornwall, he would be your man.
We have some great fishing in the UK, and of course deer hunting too!
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back