Yeti GOBOX Collection

Our elected always hard at work!

Hilljackoutlaw

Unbelievable.. but it has its benefits. Lmao
They renamed “Squaw Creek” to “Storm castle” here a couple years ago.. I was told that was why… now when people say where you catch that fish? Where you shoot that buck? Instead of the “don’t tell em spot” you can say the former name, and very few know the original. I’ll share my spots with the OGs. 😂 it comes full circle.

Post is not meant to argue with anyone on this topic...I just find it ridiculous that this is what these people are being paid to do....🤮🤮🤷‍♂️

The political credo now is "If you can't fix hard problems, do something to make some of the base happy. "

but also, let's be honest, the N word really has no place anywhere in society
If you cant use the word on customizable consumer goods like shoes and headphones probably doesn't belong on a map, or trail head sign.

Dead N---- Spring

I mean really... how was that not changed 50 years ago.

@Nameless Range didn't you have a post about doing this a while back, either you were doing it directly or Montana was or something like that.

TBH, I lol inside every time I read or hear "Grand Teton". It literally means Big Teat/Tit...

They recently renamed "Squaw's Tit" to Bald Eagle's Peak in the Canadian Rockies. I'm honestly in favour of that. There's a difference between keeping proper names of historical value and squashing names that were as ridiculous 2-300 years ago as they are now.

Dead n***** spring??? Damn that’s harsh I haven’t seen one that bad… we can agree to change THAT one for sure. It’s too bad it’s an all or nothing deal though… Half of us were taught that Lincoln freed the slaves. The other half were taught Lincoln freed only the northern slaves and encouraged the southern slaves to defect for their freedom, only to gain combatants for the civil war… History is written by the victor. I disagree that we should abandon the names of yesteryear as they provide us with traditional history. Just because something is named something we don’t like, we shan’t let it define us or our beliefs.. does your wife get mad when you mention the “rule of thumb”? Lol mine doesn’t! But she knows the history behind the term.. sounds like sissy-ness.. just my opinion though. And I’m far from racist… I think white stereotypes are just as funny as black ones… if you’ll banner BLACK lives matter over ALL lives matter, I believe YOURE the rasict… read the manifesto of Christopher dorner….

Derogatory terms for races and ethnicities should go. The N word referred to in the article is negro. Though, I have caught the worse N word as a variant place names in the GNIS. I have tracked the lineage of particular place names, from the worst N word to the next N word, to now, black.

Squaw, N word, etc - they probably shouldn't be toponyms on the map. They just shouldn't.

That said, I have mixed feelings about a lot of the current push to change place-names. In fact I'm opposed to it in many instances. From the text of the Bill: Basically to change names that"

"honor of individuals who held racially repugnant views, committed atrocities against Native Americans, or supported or effectuated discriminatory policies.....to recognize individuals who carried out injustices against racial minorities...."
"...contains a sexual slur"
"..... American place names should be equitable and just, honor America’s cultural diversity, and advance dignity for all Americans"

The former criteria could be applied to essentially anyone. It's arbitrary, and a slippery slope, and starts at prehistory and certainly to the writers of the bill, delusionally ends in contemporary times. I don't even know what the latter means. Place names are not for "advancing dignity". Flat out, that's never been what they are for.

I want Roosevelt County, even though Teddy said some offputting things at times. I want all 23 Gobblers Knobs in America. I want the Suicide Cabin in the Southern Boulder Mountains, even though suicide is certainly offensive. I want the Devils Fence, even though the devil is arguably a religious name and certainly inequitable. And like Ben Lamb, I want Bloody Dick Peak to stay as it is and I'll fight to the death for it. I want kids to cringe and wonder at place names. You won't find anyone who thinks more that our place names are often boring, poor at description, and unnecessarily duplicative than me.

Folks may disagree, but this woke stuff has a tendency for scope creep, and though it may start with getting rid of a confederate general here or there, it will certainly head toward getting rid of Lincoln, Montana - due to Abe's actions toward minorities at the time, and renaming the Pioneers, because everyone knows Pioneers are the sacred cow of Manifest Destiny and all it's evils.And on and on it goes. This bill should get rid of place names derogatory toward ethnicities and races, and that's it. The rest is just 21st century puritanism.

A nerfed world has little character.

All that said, I would be interested to look at the thousand or so place names that have been flagged. Can't find it anywhere.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back