other hobbies

vikingguy and greyman. learned to scuba when I started sailing, love it!

Devon Deer--Ireland (-:

JLS and sawtooth, love to ski but everybody else snowboards now )-;

Rut Junkey, I am without a doubt the worlds worse golfer--even miniature golf

mt miller you wont regret having "captured" all these special memories

Brent. Best of Luck, that sounds like a ton of fun! The extra plus, is the world travel. Set aside a few days on each trip to explore the country you are in, you wont regret it . Good luck Brent

JTHomp. we took a paddle boat trip up the Mississippi and back after Mardi Gras one year and throughly enjoyed it. Sounds like great family fun.

noharleyyet, now I know what influences your music selections--guitars, motorcycles, whiskey (-; Did you like the last scene in the movie Harley Davis and the Marlboro Man LOL

Blueridge, that might be the best group of all--not fitting neatly in any one group

Alaskahunter snow shoeing is one of the best exercises and fun but as I got older I liked snowmobiles or even dog sleds better lol I remember at an early age my father pulling me around the pasture in my sled behind his truck or tractor

Bobbydean, my husband loved horse racing. He actually owned 1/4 of a thoroughbred at one time. His horse was more like racing stripes than secretariat ---but he enjoyed it so what the heck

Art Vamdalay (-: a man that knows what he likes

Dave N, that cruise had to be fun, wish I had been there. I would have bought you and your wife a drink--not an umbrella drink btw lol Best of luck on your move sir. when you get there try to make time to see the finish of the dog sled race, great fun, tough mushers and great dogs.

1100 remington man wine tasting always worked for us--where were you--Calif, France, Italy, or ??

Backcountryhubter. Thank you for doing that, very commendable.

traerdavis, no not a master of none, I would say a Renaissance man. Also you did it all and enjoyed doing it all, then started raising a family and as you said, nothing is any more fun than that. I didn't enjoy their teenage years as much however back when I was raising a family, but I digress---LOL

And I would say the phrase "Renaissance Man" fits all you gentlemen---well done guys.

Johncushman John, thank you for your service and I am so happy you found something to help you move forward. it certainly is not always easy and wasn't for you--keep the fiath, keep moving forward your glass is half full not half empty, you are worth the struggle sir--we all are

I will be gone for a few ( I hope only a few ) so will reply to any further replies at that time

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing, I enjoyed your comments and I dare say many others on the forum has as well. To be honest I wish I was young enough tag along with you guys on whatever your next adventure is. Thanks Guys
and if i missed anyone, please accept my apologizes ---sometimes both my typing or should say eye hand coordination is not what it once was and I mis things--and if I missed anyone it was not intentional

Last edited:
First thing is spending time with the kids and wife. I enjoy doing whatever the kids are into, because I know that time is limited and going by fast. One day I'll miss painting old turtle shells and roller-skating on Saturday mornings.

I enjoy older cars and pickups. I have an old Trans-Am, Camaro, and Jeep that I work on intermittently. I also spend a lot of time keeping my old Ford Ranger that I bought in high school up and running (it's my daily driver still), and am in the process of reconditioning my '03 Dodge pickup (mostly body work). I am a terrible mechanic though and don't have much patience for it, so it's kind of a love-hate affair.

I really enjoy day-hikes and backpacking trips when I can swing the time off for them. My only big trip has been to the Chinese Wall in the Bob, but usually do 1 or 2 weekend trips per year. I'd like to do the Knobstone Trail here in Indiana this year, sometime after spring break but before turkey season.

I also really enjoy travelling with my family, even just exploring new state parks for a weekend or a weeklong trip to the beach, Appalachians, great lakes, etc.

All of these things though, with the exception of family time, I consider only hobbies that I could give up fairly easily if need be. Family and hunting are the only things that would fundamentally change my life if they were to be taken away.

It's interesting how hobbies change over time. Kids change things of course; not better or worse, just different. As much as I love hunting I could be pretty content u.l. backpacking, climbing, long distance hiking, and fishing mountain lakes for the rest of my life. I enjoy the reloading piece of the puzzle, but I feel I'm most like myself in the hills. I've eased back on alpine and ice climbing the past several years because of the associated objective hazard. I expect I will re-engage it when my kids are a bit older, as it still inhabits a fair bit of my thought space.

Gearing up for twin falls.
24965533048_02ab8b995e_c.jpg

Some gully in the Bridgers.
38752796911_7f93250ba7_b.jpg

Hyalite somewhere.
46505537764_f7a7402297_c.jpg

Hyalite's Matrix on a snowy day with a bud.
32286918827_5bed73e244_h.jpg

My problem is that I have too many hobbies.

If you go strictly based on time my running has really become my biggest hobby even over hunting. The crazy thing is that I don't really love running, I just really like the benefits I get from running. Since 2011 I've spent over 2,000 hours running almost 13,000 miles. Right now I'm training for some ultras with a 50K trail race coming up next weekend and a 100K trail race coming up in April.

Probably the most money that I've spent on a hobby is when I was really into salt water aquariums.

I have a 415 gallon saltwater reef aquarium that at one point was pretty impressive.
7102124.jpg

To give a size perspective I have a picture I took with my wife and a couple of my nieces inside the aquarium when we were setting it up. It is 122" long by 28" wide and 28" tall.
8654448.jpg

One of the neatest things that I did when I was into that hobby was raising baby fish. I raised several batches of clownfish and banggai cardinals.
clowns_batch1.jpg
banggai_batch__2.jpg

My tank is pretty sad right now though and I haven't raised any baby fish in quite a few years. I keep hoping my son will get into it but he doesn't seem very interested. I just don't have the time anymore to work on it.

Lots of other hobbies have come and gone over the years for me. I've also done quite a bit of scuba diving, have pretty much completely given up golf, had a koi pond for a while, and I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few others.

I'm looking forward to retirement so I can spend all my time on my hobbies! Hopefully I will still be able to afford them.

Nathan

In my younger days I was a sportbike rider and really had it for speed. My Army career has gotten my body to a point where that isn't an option anymore. Like a few above have mentioned I too love to work with wood. I have built some furniture, a couple of sheds, a playhouse for the Hunting Princess and a garage. Last year I took a welding class and loved it. Now I am a lab assistant for a couple of classes a week with a work force development welding class. As for outdoor stuff not hunting.....I love to camp and do all things mountain related (ski, hike, etc). Related to hunting I have really started to enjoy off-roading. I also love to travel, especially to beach locales where I can get some diving in. Finally, this past year I have been able to start volunteering with a great organization that enables me to get other disabled vets into the woods and waters.

Attending and serving at my church is probably my biggest hobby outside of hunting. I also enjoy playing guitar, smoking meat (pulled pork, brisket, etc.), and weightlifting (powerlifting lifts primarily). Although I haven't gone scuba diving in a while it's something I greatly enjoy as well.

Skiing is really my first love, but after college my body just couldn't take the abuse that it use to and I got into hunting through my in-laws and now that has become the primary outdoor activity. That said I still like to get out there and make some turns. Recently I got to do a company ski trip and brought my dad's GoPro, I managed to put together a little movie on my phone of the trip and really enjoyed the process, this video is kinda lame but the process definitely got me interested in playing around more with video editing.

Aside from skiing and hunting I love to mountain bike, waterski, travel, and make maps of places I want to explore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still an intermediate skier and a beginning crosscountry skier. Fishing gets some attention though I don't specialize so I'm just ok at a little of everything. I have a small crew that we backpack together though we do a lot for work so sometimes our weekends are just lazily sitting in the sun on a float tube. I do some weightlifting and trail running though I'm not particularly strong or fast.

I'm really good at making beer disappear though have to watch it because I'm still trying to lose weight.

I have so many hobbies, most revolve around making stuff: woodworking, leatherworking, winemaking, beermaking, baking, stained glass work. I garden and grow my own grapes. I enjoy traveling although with a family of 4 that can be very expensive. Luckily we enjoy road trips and camping trips as much as far flung beach vacations.

Running, I like to trail run and recently ran a 50km trail run in the New Zealand hills. Keeps me fit for hunting.

Whatever keeps me married. Really, I like to do whatever my wife puts on the calendar the rest of the year. Thankfully, that includes good doses of fishing.

Volunteering for a variety of other endeavors is something I enjoy. Summer is hiking season, when not fishing. Beyond that, I am pretty open to anything that catches my interest that day. Guess by looking at this list, I don't have many other hobbies.

Photography and birding are probably my favorite non-hunting ways to spend time outside. Headed to Belize in a couple weeks so will hopefully be able to do a bit of both. I love to cook, and experiment quite a bit in the kitchen. Enjoy working in the garden, mostly landscaping with ornamentals. I have a hard time getting excited about growing veggies for some reason. I also like repurposing or refinishing antiques and salvaged old stuff. Have some salvaged glass paned French doors in the garage waiting for warmer days ahead.

Old hobbies: wrenching on old cars, drag racing, building jeeps, rockcrawling, shooting pistols, caving, sailing, brewing
Current hobbies: handloading, mules, growing hay, gardening, 4H, scouts

Still have some old hobbies, raising 2 kiddos introduces me to new ones. :)

My hobbies have now become my life. I started a fishing charter business 18 years ago that I look forward to every season. My dad ,who's now 92 and still helps in the business, started me fishing 60 years ago and I took to it like a fish to water. Now I use what he taught me to make a little income and getting others into fish gives me a lot of satisfaction. I love going to the Or,Wa coast fishing when I can get away. My land I live on is my other hobby. 160 acres of river canyon with irrigation, fencing, spring water, an old log house and wildlife habitat improvements keep me busy and any improvement I get done feels really good. Hobbies in the past were body surfing, (even tried the Wedge) and rodeo, ( bulls & bareback). I used to hand wrap fishing rods and tie jigs but arthritis in both thumbs has but a stop to that. Planning hunts that I can still do alone at 65 is my driving hobby and purpose in life. I can't imagine life without an animal to hunt, butcher,process and cook.

Last edited:
My wife reminds me nicely that I have too many expensive hobbies and too little time to enjoy them in any event. My favorite hobby beyond hunting/shooting is scuba diving. Truly amazing times and experiences across the Carribean and South Pacific. But I have converted my vacation over more to hunting so haven’t made time for awhile.

What’s your all time favorite spot, I got to dive in the Maldives in ‘16 that one will be tough for me to beat.

I used to be into cars, and foolishly persued a career doing restorations, rods, and collision work after my stint working for Uncle Sam. Cured me of that.

I thouroughly enjoy doing metalwork. From trinkets to functional to sculpture.

I dabble in woodwork. I have made a few rifle stocks, taxidermy bases, a house or two, and some furniture pieces. Usually these projects take the most time because I'm not as comfortable with wood as I am with metal.

I hike whenever I can although its always with an agenda be it hunting, fishing or simply seeing whats over the next ridge.

Lately my most consuming hobby is trying to keep up with our 1 1/2yr old. It's like chasing a wild raccoon around. I love it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back