PEAX Equipment

OTC Snow

Cutlass

2nd rifle was a tough hunt. I had camp set up already which was a little over four miles into an area I’ve hunted for a few years. A friend joined me and he used a tent my uncle left up there after first rifle. Basically we had to much gear for two guys. I normally pack in alone or with my dad, but friends and family wanted to try pack hunting this year.
The snow started Friday, lifted on Saturday, then continued for the rest of the time we were there. Honestly if a friend wasn’t there I’m not sure I would have stuck it out for five days of wet and cold.
C234D7A5-9B5E-40E5-AF01-25632BE1F4A0.jpeg
There were only a few herds of 5-10 animals running around the area the first three days. We didn’t push them hard because we had the whole area to ourselves due to the weather. When the weather would break for a few minutes we would spot herds above timberline which surprised me. Never seen elk that high in weather that bad. 4553403B-52F5-446E-931B-334CDB1A668F.jpeg
Opening morning.
770E9B3F-4B72-4E47-A81F-6B3650E5A842.jpeg
Sunday morning.
Tuesday morning I hear bugling about a mile north of me. it was a still morning and the snow was falling straight down. I work my way to the bugling and sneak into the aspen grove which the bugling was coming from. I crawl up a small rise and peak over to see a large herd spread out threw the trees. There were only cows, calves, spikes and really small 5x5s. I settle in and wait. A small 5x5 digs out a bed a lays down about 20 feet from me. Then the cows start bedding. After about twenty minutes the wind starts blowing and the bull near me looks over his back, right at me. He stares for a minute then gets up. The other elk all get up and start walking off. That’s when I hear a bugle from below and catch a glimpse of another bull. As he is walking next to another 5x5 and he looks bigger. I could tell he was only a 5x5 too but he looked big compared to the other bulls in the herd. I pick a lane and when he steps into it I put a round into him. He took about five steps and was done.
He ended up being a normal 5x5 but will be good eating. The two day pack out was brutal! The last day was 22 miles each A677B2E0-2A79-4FA7-8943-B841F887D2C5.jpeg
Thanks to my dad and friend who hiked in the 1.5 feet of snow all day with me to get him out.

It looks like you probably weren’t far from me. We did a drop camp through an outfitter this year. The wall tent and wood stove really helped keep moral up. Another storm coming to the area Sunday.

Cur Dog. I’ve met the outfitter and he seems like a good guy. We had little pack stoves that burn small logs. Without those we wouldn’t of stayed. Hopefully you guys had fun and got into elk.

Cur Dog. I’ve met the outfitter and he seems like a good guy. We had little pack stoves that burn small logs. Without those we wouldn’t of stayed. Hopefully you guys had fun and got into elk.
We did well. We both shot bulls. I had cow tag that didn’t get filled. The highlight was hundreds of deer migrating past our camp. It was hard to believe.

We did well. We both shot bulls. I had cow tag that didn’t get filled. The highlight was hundreds of deer migrating past our camp. It was hard to believe.
Glad to hear your success. I heard some shots north of me Monday when the clouds broke for about forty minutes. Hopefully someone got the nice 6x6 that gave me the run around on Saturday. Post your bulls here if you want or send me a message. Im curious about your experience with the outfit.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back