OTC Idaho Elk Tag Sale

SPDSpappy

Not sure how many other folks from here tried getting a tag today. I ended up w/ a random number of 2921 and my hunting buddy was in the 11,000s. I STILL didn't get the tag I was wanting even w/ my lower number and there's quite a few tags in that unit. They really should just go to a draw so we're not having to sit monitoring our computer for hours only to find out we can't get the tag we want. Yes, I know they were posting what wasn't available on the main page, but what I was looking for didn't show up as sold out until I made it to the selection window. On to CO, NM, AZ, and WY I guess..........

Not sure how many other folks from here tried getting a tag today. I ended up w/ a random number of 2921 and my hunting buddy was in the 11,000s. I STILL didn't get the tag I was wanting even w/ my lower number and there's quite a few tags in that unit. They really should just go to a draw so we're not having to sit monitoring our computer for hours only to find out we can't get the tag we want. Yes, I know they were posting what wasn't available on the main page, but what I was looking for didn't show up as sold out until I made it to the selection window. On to CO, NM, AZ, and WY I guess..........
My gawsh what the hell has happened to western hunting

I just logged out. I could have got a decent tag, but its not worth the cost (dav already sold out) for every unit.

My number was up, redirected and said my session had expired and to log back in. Logged back in and took me straight to my account. Lots of zones sold out (A&B) that haven't yet displayed on the waiting room message: Bear River, Big Desert, Diamond Creek, Selway, Salmon, Pioneer, etc. TIP!: I kept cancelling, re-adding the Nonres Elk tag, and sometimes a unit would open back up with a single tag. After the 5th or 6th time, my zone popped back up with 1 available and I was able to snag it. So if yours hasn't been listed as sold out on the waiting room yet (I could look at my son's computer next to me), worth the time to keep opening back up that option. (Hope that made sense)

My number was up, redirected and said my session had expired and to log back in. Logged back in and took me straight to my account. Lots of zones sold out (A&B) that haven't yet displayed on the waiting room message: Bear River, Big Desert, Diamond Creek, Selway, Salmon, Pioneer, etc. TIP!: I kept cancelling, re-adding the Nonres Elk tag, and sometimes a unit would open back up with a single tag. After the 5th or 6th time, my zone popped back up with 1 available and I was able to snag it. So if yours hasn't been listed as sold out on the waiting room yet (I could look at my son's computer next to me), worth the time to keep opening back up that option. (Hope that made sense)
Did the same thing to me when redirecting but when I logged back in sent me back of the line after 6 hrs of waiting. If you’re going to have a first come first serve system it has to work every time for everyone and I have fiber optic internet so I know this wasn’t on my end

6 hours of waiting- no luck for me this year. Was hoping to capitalize on what I learned last year. Damn!

Both of my buddies were able to secure tags but the area they got was sold out by the time I got my chance. Still planning on tagging along and holding a camera and hopefully aiding on the pack out! :)

This is my first go around with ID. I was thinking about trying my chances at a controlled deer hunt but with all the hoopla about the OTC today (which I didn't realize was today, learned that lesson) are controlled hunts frowned upon or not as quality an opportunity as other states offer?

This is my first go around with ID. I was thinking about trying my chances at a controlled deer hunt but with all the hoopla about the OTC today (which I didn't realize was today, learned that lesson) are controlled hunts frowned upon or not as quality an opportunity as other states offer?
No hunt is frowned upon here! Lol.
I would say you may find higher quality draw hunts in other states, you may not. It all depends what you draw. Controlled hunts will almost always be a higher quality hunt than an OTC. Better dates, better unit, better weapon choice may be some of the reasons why.

I forget (prob because I haven’t ever done it) does ID still allow you to get an OTC (if you survive this mess) and then enter the controlled draw and turn back the OTC if successful? If so, I wonder how many fewer folks would have been in line yesterday if they had to “commit” to just one or the other🤷🏻‍♂️

I forget (prob because I haven’t ever done it) does ID still allow you to get an OTC (if you survive this mess) and then enter the controlled draw and turn back the OTC if successful? If so, I wonder how many fewer folks would have been in line yesterday if they had to “commit” to just one or the other🤷🏻‍♂️
It does allow controlled hunt apps still (just swap tags) and no 5 day wait for NRs like residents have

personally the tag price increase idaho put on non-res,,{$185 for non res hunter licence,651 for non res elk,$80+ for muzz permit,as well as the nearly $20 app fee and a couple other $5 type fees}makes idaho a pretty expensive "bang for the buck" for elk in comparison to some of the other states prices,,they did not get my money in 2021,,and i dont think they will get my money in 2022 either.i know other states are upping prices too,but i would think the price increase would make some kind of difference in less non res applying i would think.sorry idaho.

If not mistaken the "convenience fee" is about 11% on top of all the other fees, its why i stopped applying big 3, fees alone were around $250 non refundable plus license purchase.

Back