Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

OTC Colorado Deer Tag Suggestions

Comets98

I am wanting to do an OTC Colorado Deer Tag but do not know the state well enough to even consider it. Is there any recommendations for areas that have a healthy population of Deer herds? Appreciate the insight.

Pretty sure all deer tags are on a draw basis, I may be wrong and there might be some OTC whitetail tags or something, but don't think so. You might be able to pick up a left over tag, but the pickings are probably pretty sparse.

I would suggest spending some time on the Department of Wildlife page and review all the pertinent deer information you can find. READ the regulations and get a handle on how their season structure works, bag limits, etc.

Then make a list of what you want in a hunt... as in do you want a wilderness hunt, a rut hunt, what type weapon hunt, big or any buck, etc etc. Then refer back to all the information you previously looked up and start narrowing it down as to when and where.

I realize its overwhelming, but the question you asked is like how blue is the sky... I would say most all of Colorado has a "healthy" population. How healthy could be debated.

All deer tags are on a drawing. There are some OTC whitetail tags, but success rates are low, like 5% if I remember correctly. If you want to hunt deer in CO this year you can look at LO vouchers if your budget allows. Most quality hunts can be drawn with 2-3 points for a NR. I would recommend you start building points next year. I really like the units in the NW corner. 3, 301, 4, 11, 211, 22 all provide a quality opportunity. 62 and 70 are great as well. Good Luck!

In my opinion since I've been hunting 70 for the past 7 years...it's become a 'popular' unit and has been way over hunted. I hardly see any deer when I hunt elk out there during archery season. The only good season would be 4th, and that takes a crap ton of points now. 2nd and 3rd have OTC elk tags going on at the same time and all the elk and deer get pushed on to private. There's a huge outfitter that has control of a large portion of dry creek basin area and there's a couple of large ranches and hay fields that are private that don't allow access. Deer numbers are also low over the past couple of years. We used to be able to get PLO doe tags in leftovers that never sold out, but now they are about impossible to get. Don't get me wrong, there are deer, bit it's difficult to find anything with any maturity in the areas I've hunted. But, Miramonte lake has some awesome trout fishing with green powerbait. :)

Thank You all for the insight, it is much appreciated. There was mention of OTC Elk tags, maybe looking for Rifle, 2nd/3rd season. Is there any recommendations for areas to hunt?

There are some units that you can get 2nd or 3rd rifle season deer tags with 0 points, that would have OTC elk tags as well. Archery would be a really good bet for easier tags to get, and sometimes muzzleloader. You'd be looking at better weather during those seasons, plus getting elk in the rut. If you go to the DPW site you can go to the statistics page and see the different units that were drawn with 0 points and go from there.

All deer tags are on a drawing. There are some OTC whitetail tags, but success rates are low, like 5% if I remember correctly. If you want to hunt deer in CO this year you can look at LO vouchers if your budget allows. Most quality hunts can be drawn with 2-3 points for a NR. I would recommend you start building points next year. I really like the units in the NW corner. 3, 301, 4, 11, 211, 22 all provide a quality opportunity. 62 and 70 are great as well. Good Luck!

One of the meetings I attended CPW said the WT hunts were actually too successful, especially to the guys who don't know the difference between a WT and a mule doe....

The leftovers are coming up soon, so all hope is not lost.
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Leftover.aspx

Cushman, what would you say has contributed to that popularity? internet, tv, hunting mags? Do the population estimates show a decline? or does the herd preferences need adjusting?

There's a lot of good 0 point or 1 point archery draw hunts. Pm me if you are interested

One of the meetings I attended CPW said the WT hunts were actually too successful, especially to the guys who don't know the difference between a WT and a mule doe....

Cushman, what would you say has contributed to that popularity? internet, tv, hunting mags? Do the population estimates show a decline? or does the herd preferences need adjusting?

I'm not sure, but I see a lot of NR license plates in the area. I think the area is too easy to draw for how many deer are actually there. I drew my buck tag there 7 years ago as a second choice, now it takes a few points as a first choice. I still think, even a point or two to draw it for 3rd season is still not enough for what the actual capacity is. I also see a whole lot of really young deer in the backs of people's trucks. And there is a lot of public land in the area too, so I think that is a contributor.

On public? Huh I thought I read somewhere that they were really low success hunts in an area cpw did not want whitetails deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back