OTC CO Unit 751

Tubb2402

I'm new to elk hunting and this is one of my first post. I'm looking to do an OTC 2nd or 3rd rifle hunt in unit 751 in CO. The area I'm looking at seems to have all the right things from google earth and OnX maps. It's in the Weminuche Wilderness area, near a burn, and in migration corridors.

I'm not looking for coordinates or anything, just wandering if anyone has had any luck in this unit? If so which OTC season was it? Were you seeing elk mainly on private during 2nd or 3rd rifle season? Also if you know of any access issues that I should be aware of?

Any help would be much appreciated as this will be one of my first elk hunts and I've never been to this unit. I'm also traveling from Mississippi so I will not be able to scout until a few days before the trip. Thanks

I have no experience with this unit but hopefully some guys can chip in an help you out but will what I will say is make sure that your are in shape and have the right gear/be ready for quick changes in the weather. Really can't stress the being in shape part enough as a fellow flatlander being in shape helped me wonders while out hunting the mountains

I was there in 2016 the second week of September with a OTC archery tag. There are definitely elk on the public ground I spent most of my time in 75 but was in 751 some. Never been there during either 2nd or 3rd rifle season. Getting in shape is a good idea thick steep terrain. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

I’ve hunted it a few times. The reason I’ve been successful there is because of being in shape and being willing to kill elk in places most guys won’t hunt cause it’s a pita to get an elk out of there. My brother in law hunted there with me once. He has never killed an elk. We had a couple bulls spotted across a canyon and he said it wasn’t worth it to hike across and go shoot one of them. So my brother and buddy went and killed a bull over there. Point being be in the best shape of your life.

Good luck

I’ve also hunted in that country. It’s big, steep, and high. If you’re hunting the Weminuche, I’d get the number of a packing service (outfitter) and bring a sat phone. Trying to haul 150 lbs of elk meat around country that’s 10,000 feet above home is a tall order. This isn’t to discourage you. I have awesome memories of 751. It’s beautiful. But it’s tough and you need to be prepared in order to make it enjoyable. Best of luck.

I've archery hunted the area, and these people aren't joking. Get in shape! Granted I archery hunted, but I found that you could get into elk closer to the road than you might think as long as you put an obstacle between you and the trail or road. Whether it's a Ridgeline, thick timber, slowdowns, steep terrain...you get the idea.

Back