Oregon’s Version of Shoulder Seasons

The rationale of lack of suitable habitat on adjacent public lands and pressure from predators sound alike a lot of bullshit. Maybe it should read the allure of irrigated alfalfa and pressure from hunters on adjacent public land.

The rationale of lack of suitable habitat on adjacent public lands and pressure from predators sound alike a lot of bullshit. Maybe it should read the allure of irrigated alfalfa and pressure from hunters on adjacent public land.
Pretty much the wrong time of year for hunter pressure to be high. Between Mt. Emily, Minam, Catherine Creek, High Valley-Keating, and Wenaha wolf packs, predators shouldn't be eliminated as a reason for lots of elk in the Grande Ronde Valley. Add in the allure of alfalfa on the rancher's dime then it makes sense to try a find a workable solution.

The bill doesn’t define “excessive damage.” Shouldn’t that be quantifiable? Money could be allocated to make up for lost revenue due to losses. I’d gladly pay more for my license and tags.

And spotlighting elk as a legal method of take? Come on.

Pretty much the wrong time of year for hunter pressure to be high. Between Mt. Emily, Minam, Catherine Creek, High Valley-Keating, and Wenaha wolf packs, predators shouldn't be eliminated as a reason for lots of elk in the Grande Ronde Valley. Add in the allure of alfalfa on the rancher's dime then it makes sense to try a find a workable solution.

I absolutely agree on finding a workable solution. I just find the RMEF response a little disingenuous.

Should it be a surprise to anyone the Grand Ronde valley is full of elk? I would hope not. I’d pin it a lot more on snow than anything. I’ve see a lot of elk damage occur in areas with no wolves at all. Sure wolves are a piece of the puzzle, but I have a hard time believing they are the driving force here.

It’s pretty easy to build stack yards to keep elk out of hay. That seems a lot more reasonable than jack lighting elk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back