Oregon Powers Unit Roosevelt Elk Help

I drew what is arguably the best rifle roosevelt elk tag in Oregon, the Powers unit any bull rifle tag, and I am looking for some info from people willing to share. Or, if anyone knows someone who knows the unit well I would love to talk with that person. I don’t know anyone who has ever hunted this unit or who even wants to hunt this unit, so any secrets shared are between me and you. I have a lot of experience elk hunting the Oregon coast, so I know what to expect. I don’t expect to shoot a monster, but I do plan on holding out for the first mature 5 or 6 point bull I see. I will hunt hard all 9 days, plus I will have about a week to scout right before the season starts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In exchange, I would be happy to share some of my honey holes with you in a private email. I can share some great info on where to find elk in the Siuslaw unit, Rogue unit or Snake River unit. I have hunted all three extensively and have taken several mature bulls.

Is the Wild Rogue Wilderness worth hunting? My first impression is that trying to find a mature bull in there is probably a waste of precious hunting time, but if the elk hunting is good I would be willing to backpack hunt in. I have been studying the map of the unit in addition to looking on onX maps, and I have several areas in mind that I'd like to ask about.

I am also ready and willing to hike down into the thick, steep canyons if I can get a good tip on which ones consistently hold bulls during rifle season. Having never hunted this unit before (and probably never will again) I don’t want to waste a lot of time hunting hard where there are not likely to be elk. Having hunted Siuslaw unit a lot, I know the Coast range rosies are not evenly distributed. Their in pockets, and I don’t have the benefit of spending several years getting to know where these pockets are located in this particular unit. Since this is arguably the best rifle roosevelt elk tag in the state, I am really hoping I can hang my tag on a mature rosie this year.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out!

did you get an elk? might have enough piobts to draw this tag this year or next.

did you get an elk? might have enough piobts to draw this tag this year or next.
Use your piobts (sic) ... but you're on your own. Don't think Jeremiah is going to jump back in after 2 1/2 years to help you out.

It begs the question, "Are you just here for help and then gone too?"

Use your piobts (sic) ... but you're on your own. Don't think Jeremiah is going to jump back in after 2 1/2 years to help you out.

It begs the question, "Are you just here for help and then gone too?"
Well yeah I am looking to use my points to draw a tag as like to get 1 nice Roosevelt elk one day. So of course am looking for help or info should decide to apply for it this year or next. But don't just intend to dissappear after. I've helped others on other species hunt in other areas.

not that im a rosee expert or anything,but my expierience is to look for logging areas a few years old surrounded by big timber,,and watch the edges,,on x or google earth should show ya logging areas to waypoint and ck out.they tend to stay in secluded holes.

I hunted the powers unit on several occasions when I was younger and had good knees. Mostly for bear, a little for deer and maybe 4 or 5 times for archery elk. That was before they made it spike only. I don't know why old Jeremia Johnson thought it was such a great tag. The elk are pretty scattered all over the unit with the western 1/3 of the unit having the highest concentration of elk. But that isn't very high. Most of the applicants for that tag are people who live in or near the unit, know it well and or have access to private ranches. The country is about as nasty as you're going to find in Oregon. Not high elevation but steep, rocky and brushy. Those steep rocky slopes are covered with poison oak and tan oak. There are lots of rattlesnakes in the brush on those steep rocky slopes as well. The loose rocky ground on the steep brushy slopes is made even more treacherous by the November rains. Most people just drive the roads looking for elk and the roads are everywhere. I assume the tag in question is the second season since the first season is spike only. So, by the time you get to hunt there has been a month of archery hunting, a month of rifle deer hunting and a week of elk hunting as well as three months of bear hunting. The elk are not hanging out where they can be seen from the road. They are in the steepest, rockiest, brushiest, nastiest canyons they can find. Did I mention that it is very steep, rocky and brushy?

Forgot to mention but if you get the tag, I will be happy to help you in any way I can. That does not include helping pack an elk out of one of those steep, rocky brush covered canyons.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back