Oregon mule deer

This one kind of confounds that:
View attachment 220163

People want to both hunt every year and have a better quality hunt.

I would rather hunt deer every few years if that means the quality is increased. I'll hunt bears on the interim years and scout for when I can draw my tag.
Sadly, with lions, bears, and now wolves being protected/introduced, ODFW has its hands tied, even if they agreed with us philosophically. The fish and wildlife folks in the woods and doing the management aren't the same kind of folk that were there a generation or two ago - I don't believe hunting is valued in Oregon, and that the goal is determining how to simply turn it off.

Sadly, with lions, bears, and now wolves being protected/introduced, ODFW has its hands tied, even if they agreed with us philosophically. The fish and wildlife folks in the woods and doing the management aren't the same kind of folk that were there a generation or two ago - I don't believe hunting is valued in Oregon, and that the goal is determining how to simply turn it off.

I think the disconnect in management has more to do with public input. The biologists down here are all hunters with strong foundations in science. They're in a predicament between the nonhunting input and the more mainstream hunt every year/ opportunity first hunters.

We're stuck in the middle wanting opportunity reduced which goes against most hunters beliefs, and wanting greater predator management which goes against most nonhunters beliefs. So we get nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back