oregon 2013 spring bear

I grew up in The Burn and never see bears that time of year. Maybe because I don't go out in the woods much till after the 4th of July. There is a lot of logging and OHV use that will tend to put bears out of sight in some areas, so I'd find some place away from the crowds with lots of grass. Go behind gates, get up early, go often, walk abandoned grassy roads, glass secluded clear-cuts. I have no idea what the success rate is in the Wilson/Trask, but I suspect its low, despite there being a lot of critters. Have fun. Keep us posted, post pictures.

I'd spend April looking for areas away from roads and people zeroing in on open clearcuts. The bear hunting in the spring heats up in May (the later the better) and by that time hopefully you've found some spots.

A lot of guys like hunting over drainages with water in them and in areas where skunk cabbage is abundant. Usually the best bear sitings are between 2 pm until dark from my experience.

Spend a lot of time behind your optics. Bears will appear out of no where and its common to glass an area for hours with limited success and then there they are.

Behind the gates on the coast range is a smart move as well.

Good luck...can't wait to get out there again.

Thanks for the info, got snow last night in the mountains slow things down a bit I think. I look forward to posting pics in the next month or so. Scouting the next couple days,and talking with loggers.

Ive hunted bears in wilson trask units,,,its not as good as s w ore but there are bears there,,,hunt where you can see as alot of the area is too thick to glass,,,hunt the higher areas,i got a few spots.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back