OR Show threatens to leave Utah

theat

Looks like the outdoor recreation industry is not too happy about Utah's attempt to force the federal government to hand over the majority of BLM and FS lands in the state. I cant blame them. The federal land management agencies certainly are not perfect, but I trust them to keep these lands open to the public much more than I do the individuals in power in Utah. I have a feeling that if Utah gets its hands on these lands they will sooner or latter end up in the hands of private individuals and no longer be accessible to the rest of us.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-block-in-keeping-outdoor-retailers-show.html

Money, money,money, money, MONEY! Not one mention of wildlife.
Well, they are outdoor recreation companies, not wildlife conservation groups or hunting industries. Where are those groups on this issue?

My guess is the Utah based groups that wield the most power, are the folks that pushed the Governor's plan.You know the guys that got wolves delisted in Mt and Id.LOL.

This was a slight prompt of Idaho's Santorum soapbox (lost my support) speech. Not a chance would I want federal lands turned over to states. It would be such a checkerboard of private and state public - we would be dealing with issues Randy ran into in Colorado a while back... On a larger scale... Roadless rules gone as ATV nuts (Not the ones who crash 'em of course... :eek: ) and Cattle Ranchers would expect free range (of course at free pricing) and thus open roads to atv their way to round em up and "tear it up"... as some of the atv slogans go...

Keep it as it is. Keep Federal land Federal and State land State.

Outdoor Industry Association President and CEO Frank Hugelmeyer said the industry is often "surprised and frustrated" by Utah's unfavorable positions on public lands policy.

"Of greatest concern is the governor’s lawsuit challenging the federal government over jurisdiction of the federal public lands and some road claims within national parks, monuments and wilderness areas. We have not and will not sit silently on threats to the nation’s recreation infrastructure," he said.

Hmmm, Utah, was there not something with the head of wildlife n fish a bit back? Naaa.

The Oregon Dept. of Forestry is in the tree/lumber business, and all other uses of state forests take a back seat to that. Most of my old traditional hunting area has been sold to lumber companies or the timber has been thinned on the remaining land and elk refuse to live there any more and its impossible to hunt because all the slash was left on the ground and you (and the elk apparently) can't walk around in the stuff.

I have a feeling that if Utah gets its hands on these lands they will sooner or latter end up in the hands of private individuals and no longer be accessible to the rest of us.
IME with the state of Utah it wouldn't be a matter of if but of when. They can't afford to do anything with the state lands they have now!

Back