Optics/Bullet for First Elk Tag

I went on a moose hunt in 2019 and thought that I needed a new rifle. I bought a 300wsm off of 24 hour campfire and upgraded my scope to a nightforce. I shot my moose at 50 yards and my 7mm-08 would have been as good. Since then I have flubbed shot on deer and elk with 300.
My advice is to focus on what makes you more confident. Practicing with rounds down range builds confidence, a new gun, might also but old tried and true may be better.
The 06 is perfectly fine- spend $ behind it.

Yeah bad year to get a new rifle. Looking at a Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 for $930 lightly used at Scheels. Might grab that and then search for some ammo.
That'd be a dandy scope!! Not light, but won't have to baby it. I've used Sportsmatch Rings to mount 30mm scopes to two different Tikkas and like them a lot. Really like the recoil pin they use/include for the front ring.

IMO, the mental gymnastics over a 7mag/300WM being better than 30-06 isn't worth worrying about. Especially if you are spinning dials. Its just gravity... The terminal performance is the same between them all. Trying to convince yourself an elk is more dead after being shot with one or the other is impossible. I've seen them soak up lead from a 340 weatherby and run off 300 yards and seen them flip on their back after being shot with a 243... I've seen a crap load of them shot with both a 30-06 and 7mm. They all died just the same. Then you also have the familiarity aspect of a new rifle. If you don't shoot a lot, will you really be ready to make the shot in an instant if needed as you jump a bull at 50 yards in the trees? Having a dial doesn't mean you get to use it.

Sorry to be a downer, but IMO, wasting time and money on a hunting rifle is about the last thing I spend my money and time on when it comes to hunting. I'd spend it on a spotting scope, or binos, or a pack, or nice boots, or camp gear, or... a vacation with the family to make up for all the time away hunting. I have way too many rifles that never get used. To include a 7mag and (used to be 300wm). :D

I don't see why a 30-06 wouldn't work. My personal bias would be away from Sierras otherwise it seems like you should be good to go
I killed my first elk with a borrowed .30-40 Krag. The next year I bought my first centerfire rifle, a .30-06, and used it to kill my next 7 elk with either 150 grain Hornady or 180 grain Sierra GameKing bullets. That rifle wore a Weaver 3-9x40 scope on it for the 10 years that it was a .30-06 and the 20 plus years that it was a .30 Gibbs.

For many years I wanted a 7 mm Rem mag, but I couldn't justify it as the ballistics between that and a .30-06 and my .30 Gibbs are too close for the elk to tell the difference. Finally 40 some years later I bought a 7 RM and killed an elk with it. That elk was just as dead as the ones that I killed with my .30-06.

Has anyone used the Leupold CDS? They reliable?
My current elk rifle is a .300 Weatherby. Both it and my 7 RM (now) have Leupold CDS scopes on them, as do 3 of my other rifles. Yes, they have been reliable for me.

I personally am in the opposite boat, having a Tikka 7RM that has proven itself. But picked up a 1990's 700 in 30-06 a couple years ago and it seems to have promise. Thinking hard about using it this fall. But I don't have an inventory of 30-06 to carry me through further "testing" and availability of anything that looks like ammo in our area is non-existent. I have plenty of 7RM that is proven in the Tikka, so I may stick with it.

But have no reservation of using a 30-06 as long as I have a proven rifle/bullet combo. My comfortable range is under 350 yds.

I’ve carried a left hand Browning A bolt 30-06 for over 25 years. It was my only hunting rifle until I bought a Tikka T3x lite in 7RM about 5-6 yrs ago. I like having multiple options and they each have their pros and cons.
Since you made your choice, I would upgrade your binos first, then any other gear. Your scope is fine. If you really want a spotter get a Kowa.

If you're comfortable with your -06 and feel like you know exactly what it will do when the trigger breaks, that's huge. If you'd really like to get a different set up, nothing wrong with that, but I still wouldn't trade in that 30-06 just yet. You might get a fancy new 7mag and ultimately decide you're still more comfortable with the -06.

I'm personally a big believer that comfort and familiarity with one's equipment shouldn't be underestimated. And more elk have been taken with the 30-06 than any other cartridge out there (although I can't quote you any stats on that), so I wouldn't be a bit concerned about your current set up. You mentioned your optics, again Im sure you're good. 15x braced on a log gets distractingly shakey but even at the range I don't know why you might need more than that, unless whatever your shooting is a mile away.

Anyway, if you're going to make a change, now's the time to do it. Fall will actually be here before you know it and ammo is scarce.

I have taken roughly four dozen elk, and I use my binoculars much, much more than I use my riflescope. Upgrading your binoculars to get better low light views makes a lot of sense. It is fairly difficult to shoot an elk if you can not find them.

I seriously doubt that a spotting scope would be as much use as good binoculars on most elk hunts.

As to the CDS question - the newer scopes seem to work well, some of the older ones seemingly had dialing issues. A VX5 is a very nice scope for the price.

Sounds like your current setup is shooting just fine. If you switch bullets I’d recommend you spend your time verify at longer ranges.
I’d spend the money you save on quality Binoculars or a spotting scope.

You made the right choice to not change rifles right now considering the availability of ammo in this day and age. Just practice at longer ranges to get proficient if you have the ammo.

You indicated earlier in your other post that this will be your first elk hunt and it is a OIL in ND. You don't need the added pressure of dialing in a new rifle or scope and shooting enough to have it be second nature. Spend the money on a quality pair of 8-10 power binos. I have a pair of 8x30 SLC's that I bought in 1996. Numerous times I have spotted game at distance before others with their spotting scopes. No sighting in binos or searching for ammo to add stress.

Have fun on your hunt and enjoy the experience!

Has anyone used the Leupold CDS? They reliable?
Yes. I have one on my 4.5-14X50 and it's right on. Just give Leupold the specs on the ammo you plan to use. I have my setup for a 7mm Browning A bolt and it works great with my 150gr Barnes TTSX factory ammo.

I went on a moose hunt in 2019 and thought that I needed a new rifle. I bought a 300wsm off of 24 hour campfire and upgraded my scope to a nightforce. I shot my moose at 50 yards and my 7mm-08 would have been as good. Since then I have flubbed shot on deer and elk with 300.
My advice is to focus on what makes you more confident. Practicing with rounds down range builds confidence, a new gun, might also but old tried and true may be better.
The 06 is perfectly fine- spend $ behind it.
All the long range shooting I do is mostly practice to make me more confident with the rifle. I have only intentionally shot at a big game animal around 300 yds once in my life, 330yds by range finder. So after that I could say I did it. Not a real good reason for shooting that far! Most shot's I've ever had have been under 200 yds. Don't need some big magnum to shoot at animals at 200 yds and don't need a magnum to get a heavy bullet out 400yds at a non animal for practice. Must admit to have undergone magnum mania though. Early to mid 70's used a 7mm Rem Mag and a 338 Win Mag. Learned to handle one recoil I had to shoot a lot. Handling recoil was not fun! Then got blind sided by a 7x57. It killed everything the mags did at the ranges I shot game! Amazing! Forgot to mention, I most used scope and favorite was then and is now a 2 3/4x fixed Denver Redfield. About 50 yrs and still working fine!

I have used a Leopold VX5 HD with cds for the past 2 years. Mounted on a custom 700 7mag with a 26" Lilja barrel. My only complaint so far is the side focus knob. It works fine but my pack bumps it and I have to mess with it more than I like. I used the cds dial on Eastern MT mule deer at 470, 430, and 495 and it worked perfect.

I would try & find some NAB's in 165's and practice. Get some good binos,maybe upgrade the scope if you find you need to reach out to 400+. Very doable in 30-06.

I looked at a Tikka 30-06 a few years back, to maybe upgrade my old 700. Then thought why?
Mine is as light & accurate. Well used. Filled 13 elk tags with it, 40+ deer,countless pigs.
Got a new Zeiss scope and 400+ was easy. 405 on a cow is my farthest game animal.
The 3x9 Leupold it replaced got me 400 at the range.

Tried to find some more ammo recently and decided some new binos & rangefinder would be better investment....LOL

Speaking of scopes, Couple years ago I got a couple new Redfield/leupolds and they have a really nice add on that probably don't amount to a lot but I like it. Then few month's ago I had a Nikon give up the ghost on me and replaced it with a Vortex. Vortex has a similar addition to the Redfield I like. The adjustment turret's can be turned by hand. In fact it's the only way you can adjust the Redfield. Just a small convenience I though I'd mention. I do not change sight settings in the field hunting. I sight is MPBR at an 8" target and can hold dead on out near 300 yds and I simply don't take shot's at game that far, other than one time and I have a really poor excuse for that one!

I think I already mentioned my favorite hunting scope. Denver Redfield 2 3/4x fixed widefield I bought new about 1971. It's on my 30-06 these days. Something about hunting, your either a hunter or a shooter. Well, almost. I think I'm a shooter, like to shoot target's a long way off. But when I'm hunting I like close shots. I have no desire to risk a bad shot trying to kill something. I take a great deal of pride in a DRT shot. As such low power hunting scopes are my first choice. That little 2 3/4x widefield is perfect for me. On a 308 I have another Denver Redfield in a 1-4x. Never take it below 3x as get to low and I can see the barrel on the rifle with it, distracting. I think the best hunting variable I have are my 2-7x scopes. They are smaller, light weight and seems I never carry them or shoot at animals with them over 2x! had a 4 1/2-14x on my 6.5x06 for quite a while, biggest scope I've ever used. To me it was a monster but justified it target shooting out to 500yds, never shot it at over 8X! Killed three elk with that rifle but to hunt I took off the 4 1/2-14x and put on a spare 3-9x I had and killed all three elk, one shot each, on 3x. Guy wants more power than I use on his rifle for whatever reason that up to him but I just found scopes that suit me. Thing about that Vortex I got, put it on a 243 and was out plinking last week out to a bit over 400 yds and never took the thing off of 3x, worked out just fine. I think once you get comfortable with a scope of certain qualities it becomes your go to scope. I read of how much light those very expensive scope's gather for shooting in poor light, but those low power scopes I use gather more light than I need to shoot well. I hear how fast the expensive scope's get on shot's, bet they are no faster than my inexpensive scopes on low power! and I hear how much better the glass is on them. Guess I can't deny that, I simply don't know! What I do know is the glass on my scopes are more than clear enough for me to shoot well with. That old Denver Redfield 2 3/4x was about $80 brand new, don't know what that is today. Say it's $400. For $400 that thing has kept going over 50yrs now. Most companys selling $1000+ scopes haven't been selling then that long. So you can spend $1000 on a good scope, let's face it, it probably is a good scope, and you've no idea how long you'll get out of it or you Can spend $400 on a less expensive scope and your looking at maybe 50+ years! Come to think of it, had nothing to put this other really old scope on so it's on my 22 mag. 4x El Paso Weaver. I got it use for around $20. Probably the best $20 I ever spent!

Don't blow a lot of money on a scope unless you have money to burn. Blow your money on shooting practice!

Last edited:
My current setup is a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 with a Leuopold VX3 3-15X40 shooting 165gr Sierra BTs. I am debating getting a new rifle chambered in 7 Rem Mag or .300 win.

Mostly a want vs need as I know 30-06 is plenty adequate for elk. Would you just stick with what I have and maybe upgrade my scope and get my ballistics nailed down? The current gun, ammo, reloading environment leaves a lot to be desired and I am left handed to boot.

I guess my main worry is being limited on range with the 30-06 on my once in a lifetime tag.

Thanks for the input!
You are fine with your setup. I agree on changing to a premium bullet. I like the Berger bullets or Barnes A frames in .30-06. If you pull the trigger on a new rifle I personally like the .300 WM. You can go anywhere and shoot just about anything with it using proper ammo. The ballistics are easy to remember and in a normal market the ammo is not like looking for a fairy unicorn. My 2 cents. Good luck!!!

Back