Caribou Gear

Optics/Bullet for First Elk Tag

NDGuy

My current setup is a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 with a Leuopold VX3 3-15X40 shooting 165gr Sierra BTs. I am debating getting a new rifle chambered in 7 Rem Mag or .300 win.

Mostly a want vs need as I know 30-06 is plenty adequate for elk. Would you just stick with what I have and maybe upgrade my scope and get my ballistics nailed down? The current gun, ammo, reloading environment leaves a lot to be desired and I am left handed to boot.

I guess my main worry is being limited on range with the 30-06 on my once in a lifetime tag.

Thanks for the input!

I took my buddy on his first elk hunt this year. He has a 30-06. I got him a set up with a better scope, all sighted in. He bought some premium bullets to get everything sighted in. We showed up at my ranch, only to have him forgot box of ammo. I had a box of old corelokts. Its was his only option. 1 shot dead elk.

Yes its fine. But do use a premium bullet. He shot his in the heart, you may not be quit so fortunate.

I think that's a near perfect set up. My one and only cow was taken with a 165gr Sierra gameking out of a 300wm. Bullet performed great. I'd not hesitate to hunt with them. That said, if you can and want to buy another rifle, by all means. A 300 is always a good option.

Maybe switch up my bullet setup, TBH I only have about 20 rounds left in this load so might not be a bad idea.

Although bad time to find ammo! :D

Also I found a lightly used Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 .250MOA in stock at Scheels for $930. Think I am gonna snag it.

You will be more than fine. Stick with what you have and what you are already comfortable with. I would be surprised if you couldn't close the distance to within a manageable/comfortable shot in that country and on that hunt. Like @golfer said spend that money on gas and other expenses that will come with this hunt.

If you don’t have a cds dial on your scope I’d either get a scope with it or send it in and have installed and just practice with the 30-06. More than plenty of gun and your bullet is plenty. 30-06 velocities are easy on bullets
I have an older VX3 so would have to send in an retro-fit. From what I have read, mixed stuff about Leupold and dialing.

SWFA, Nightforce, Bushnell LRHS are better at dialing from what I have researched.

My only elk was shot using a Tikka T3 SS in 30-06 topped with a Zeiss Conquest MC 3-9x40. I used 165gr TTSXs, but will likely stick to 165 NABs or go to Hammers in the future. The TTSXs did fine for the elk, but I’ve not gotten the DRT performance on deer (which I hunt far more often) from them that I have come to expect from the NABs. The 30-06 is as big as I’ll ever go, I guess. I’ve owned a 338WM and a 300Roy, but I don’t feel like I’m capable of using them to their extended abilities. My limitations are 300yd and in.

I’d rather keep the rifle and invest in better glass if needed, but I’ll never turn down the opportunity to spend someone else’s money on guns.;)

you kinda said it yourself in your post. You know it will work but you seem like you want a new rifle so if you want one
And can afford it get a new one. I mean you can never have too many guns imo

This is the only correct answer. The rest of you are pathetic enablers. Get some help.

Probably best to just buy both, and then see which one you like better. Contact @schmalts for the proper Leupold scope (3.5x10 or 4.5x14 VX3HD).

Bada-bing, bada-boom, you got a battery going on.

If one was feeling the need to get beyond 400yds, I would say that a 300Win or 7mag would be of slight benefit, but I would not feel at all handicapped by a 30-06.

Using a 180gr Elite Hunter and published load data a for an ‘06 vs a 300 Win, a 300Win, is 9” flatter at 500yds and 16” flatter at 600yds. If zeroed at 200yds, a top of the back hold with the ‘06 load should hit a bull in the heart at around 400yds, and with the 300Win, at about 450yds. I know, I know, range and dial. That’s fine. There is error in that too. Flatter trajectories are more forgiving of all types of error.

You can get the trajectory of the ‘06 almost up to that of the magnums by dropping to a 150-155gr bullet with aggressive handloads.

If it were me, I’d just shoot the ‘06. I’d use 180-190gr bullets, and I’d do a lot of work in the off-season of ranging targets and shooting them. Different lighting conditions will effect your range finder, and some scopes are more reliable when dialing than others. Only practice will reveal that.

And pick your ammo, then stick with it. Don’t go changing bullets or velocities and expect the same results.

Last edited:
Your setup is pretty killer for anything. How far are you planning on shooting? You can reach out pretty far with a simple duplex reticle, but getting past 400 is tough IMO. You'd probably want a CDS system or some kind of BDC reticle if you're shooting further than that. Also, if you get a new rifle, make sure you can find ammo for it before you make a purchase!

Well Ive shot 43 elk. 20 + with a .30/06, longest was right at 400 yards. My younger brother has been hunting with me for 45 years with nothing but an 06. you’ll be fine. I’ve used 300s .338s .375s .458 and even a .577 for the others. I personally love the fast 338s.
Since I started over 50 years ago most of those elk were killed with either a 3x9 or a 3.5x10 leupold, no CDS. I do like the technology and will carry a range finder and over the last five years have a CDS scope on my .338 Jarrett. I’ve only dialed one shot, 500 yards.
If buying a new rifle doesn’t interfere with good boots, good binos and being in better shape, hell go buy one. I’d probably go with the .300s.
Have a great trip, looking forward to seeing your pics.

My current setup is a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 with a Leuopold VX3 3-15X40 shooting 165gr Sierra BTs. I am debating getting a new rifle chambered in 7 Rem Mag or .300 win.

Mostly a want vs need as I know 30-06 is plenty adequate for elk. Would you just stick with what I have and maybe upgrade my scope and get my ballistics nailed down? The current gun, ammo, reloading environment leaves a lot to be desired and I am left handed to boot.

I guess my main worry is being limited on range with the 30-06 on my once in a lifetime tag.

Thanks for the input!
Yes, if you think you need to upgrade the scope, I would. Other than maybe a bullet change, I'd not suggest a change. IMO neither of those are really going to buy you much increased capability, especially in light of the current shortages and difficulty in finding LH rifles.

My suggestion would be to add a scope you can dial for various ranges, or if you're current scope tracks well a CDS turret. Work up a load you have confidence in and get to learning. If I were in your shoes I'd mount a SWFA 3-9X40 and work up a load using the 155gr Scenar. Save the extra money over buying/setting up a new rifle for more components and work diligently on increasing my comfort range in taking a shot.

Yes, if you think you need to upgrade the scope, I would. Other than maybe a bullet change, I'd not suggest a change. IMO neither of those are really going to buy you much increased capability, especially in light of the current shortages and difficulty in finding LH rifles.

My suggestion would be to add a scope you can dial for various ranges, or if you're current scope tracks well a CDS turret. Work up a load you have confidence in and get to learning. If I were in your shoes I'd mount a SWFA 3-9X40 and work up a load using the 155gr Scenar. Save the extra money over buying/setting up a new rifle for more components and work diligently on increasing my comfort range in taking a shot.
Yeah bad year to get a new rifle. Looking at a Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 for $930 lightly used at Scheels. Might grab that and then search for some ammo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back