Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Optics/Bullet for First Elk Tag

.....after all the professional advice you have received...if you are still grasping for something different...you can join some of us traditional hunters that stalk our prey like our fore fathers. For me I trust my 45-70 with a 2-8 scope approaching all shots taken within 200 yds. And at this moment it is my sole hunting companion for all my hunts.

The 30-06 is more than adequate for your current needs. As for bullet choice, you'd be better off with either a bonded or a mono-metal bullet. Personally I use the 165-168gr. TTSX from Barnes loaded to just under max. It's very accurate and does it's job quite well when it connects to game. If you don't reload, find a good factory offering, there are many, and go and enjoy your hunt.

Has anyone mentioned upgrading to a scope with CDS (or equivalent). Couple that with a good quality rangefinder and you’ve overcome many of the things that the 30-06 starts failing at. Witness the rise of smaller cartridges used for all species.

Magnums dealt with maximum point blank range issues by adding horsepower. Guessing range accurately is very hard, even harder in unfamiliar territory. Fix those 2 issues and you are golden assuming you can shoot your ought6.

But, I love me some magnum. Nothing wrong with getting new guns in my book. Eventually you find the “one”, and somehow you don’t have that itch anymore.

Has anyone mentioned upgrading to a scope with CDS (or equivalent). Couple that with a good quality rangefinder and you’ve overcome many of the things that the 30-06 starts failing at. Witness the rise of smaller cartridges used for all species.

Magnums dealt with maximum point blank range issues by adding horsepower. Guessing range accurately is very hard, even harder in unfamiliar territory. Fix those 2 issues and you are golden assuming you can shoot your ought6.

But, I love me some magnum. Nothing wrong with getting new guns in my book. Eventually you find the “one”, and somehow you don’t have that itch anymore.
I bought a Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1

My current setup is a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 with a Leuopold VX3 3-15X40 shooting 165gr Sierra BTs. I am debating getting a new rifle chambered in 7 Rem Mag or .300 win.

Mostly a want vs need as I know 30-06 is plenty adequate for elk. Would you just stick with what I have and maybe upgrade my scope and get my ballistics nailed down? The current gun, ammo, reloading environment leaves a lot to be desired and I am left handed to boot.

I guess my main worry is being limited on range with the 30-06 on my once in a lifetime tag.

Thanks for the input!

If you can't kill an elk with your '06 then you shouldn't be hunting elk, and there is nothing you can kill with a 7mm or .300 than your 30-06 won't also kill just fine at ethical hunting distances. But like Ben said, if you want a new gun, go buy a new gun!

My current setup is a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 with a Leuopold VX3 3-15X40 shooting 165gr Sierra BTs. I am debating getting a new rifle chambered in 7 Rem Mag or .300 win.

Mostly a want vs need as I know 30-06 is plenty adequate for elk. Would you just stick with what I have and maybe upgrade my scope and get my ballistics nailed down? The current gun, ammo, reloading environment leaves a lot to be desired and I am left handed to boot.

I guess my main worry is being limited on range with the 30-06 on my once in a lifetime tag.

Thanks for the input!
Found this recent article that will give you a more data driven look at the .30-06 v 7mm mag. Check it out.

Interesting article but more about splitting hairs than anything else. Comparing something like the 7mm Rem Mag to the 30-06 is actually pretty silly considering the ranges the author use's. 500yds is no where near the actually ranges that I have read most game is killed at. Why not stretch the max range to a mile? As I understand it the actual range most big game is killed at is 200yds or less! I know myself I have only killed one big game animal at beyond about 200yds and that was just to say I did it! Pretty sorry excuse for shooting the animal, same could have been accomplished shooting at a beer can!

You notice in his chart's that the performance of the 7mm mag is somewhat better than the 30-06, UNTIL, he get's the the 175gr 7mm bullet and the 178gr 30 cal bullet! Then the tide turns! You can get a 200gr even 220gr bullet in the 30-06, you can't in 7mm mag! he is also comparing a 30 cal cartridge case with a larger case of a 7mm! More valid comparison would seem to be to compare the 280 Rem to the 30-06. Then the outcome changes but it's still splitting hairs! I wonder, does anyone doubt the ability of the 30-06 even to 500yds let alone much less reasonable ranges?

Interesting article but more about splitting hairs than anything else. Comparing something like the 7mm Rem Mag to the 30-06 is actually pretty silly considering the ranges the author use's. 500yds is no where near the actually ranges that I have read most game is killed at. Why not stretch the max range to a mile? As I understand it the actual range most big game is killed at is 200yds or less! I know myself I have only killed one big game animal at beyond about 200yds and that was just to say I did it! Pretty sorry excuse for shooting the animal, same could have been accomplished shooting at a beer can!

You notice in his chart's that the performance of the 7mm mag is somewhat better than the 30-06, UNTIL, he get's the the 175gr 7mm bullet and the 178gr 30 cal bullet! Then the tide turns! You can get a 200gr even 220gr bullet in the 30-06, you can't in 7mm mag! he is also comparing a 30 cal cartridge with a larger case of a 7mm! More valid comparison would seem to be to compare the 280 Rem to the 30-06. Then the outcome changes but it's still splitting hairs! I wonder, does anyone doubt the ability of the 30-06 even to 500yds let alone much less reasonable ranges?
I don’t disagree Don. I have no doubts about the .30-06. Tried and true. I just found it interesting that someone actually published an article on this very subject. Had to share. 175 grains and you really have very similar results. I like the .30 cal family period. 7 mm is nice but I think it was remingtons .300 WM fighter which is a whole different can of worms. I’ve killed elk with all 3 and they have no issue breaking them down.

I wouldn't fret too much about your outfit. 30-06 has been hammering a variety of game across the planet for many decades. But I'll share some advice. Practice shooting 6 inch diameter targets at about 225 yards using makeshift rests from field positions. Accurate shooting brings down game regardless other factors.

TR

I wouldn't fret too much about your outfit. 30-06 has been hammering a variety of game across the planet for many decades. But I'll share some advice. Practice shooting 6 inch diameter targets at about 225 yards using makeshift rests from field positions. Accurate shooting brings down game regardless other factors.

TR
Yep, I am not too worried. Used the tag as an excuse to buy new optics. My VX3 was solid but it was an older model and just a plain duplex reticle. I had a lot of gift cards saved up so splurged on the Nightforce.

As for bullets I only had about 20 rounds left of my reloads a friend of a friend made and he had a stroke so couldn't make them again. So grabbed some ELDX, Berger VLDs, and Accubonds. Gun hates ELDX so got rid of those seems to really like the Bergers was getting like 3/4" groups at 100 (I am a pretty novice shooter). Now waiting on the Accubonds to get here.

In 30-06, I'd give Lapua Scenars a look, specifically the 155gr. Pat Sinclair has had a whole lot of success with that bullet on lots of game.

Maybe switch up my bullet setup, TBH I only have about 20 rounds left in this load so might not be a bad idea.

Although bad time to find ammo! :D

Also I found a lightly used Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 .250MOA in stock at Scheels for $930. Think I am gonna snag it.
I would play around with some other bullets like Accubonds, TTSX, or partitions. Your Leupold is plenty good, but so is the NF. 30-06 should serve you well, but I’m the last guy to discourage the purchase of a new rifle. If a new rifle is what you want then go that route.

I have a Tikka M695 in 30-06. I loaded up 166gr HH in it. I have yet to put a round into an elk but there is no doubt that’s what I will be shooting. I get sub MOA out to 500.

Attachments

• DD35E832-5D77-45FE-A0F6-6B264FFE3D85.jpeg
    DD35E832-5D77-45FE-A0F6-6B264FFE3D85.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
The -06 is well effective long past 1000 yards with the correct bullet.

Decent 200-225 grain bullet, I’d say it retains sufficient energy well past 1100 yards even.

Ok, elk is said to be 1500 lb-ft, white tail, 1000 lb-ft.

Having said that…

Comparing a 7mm to 30.06 load, the 7mm 190 gr can stretch you to 900 yards and the .30 cal 200 gr to 700 yards and still have 1500 lb-Ft of energy.

Yes, I have a stevens 200 LA in .30-06 and I’m building me a .280 Remington on a Big Horn Origin action.

I chose the .280 over the .30-06 for this reason.

My personal requirement is an 8” paper plate first round hit out to 700 yards. That’s a 1.14 MOA accuracy. Just over 1” MOA.

Either rifle will be more than capable of that performance. The .280 will just do it better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back