Opinions? Stone Glacier vs MR vs Kuiu

BigTex

looking for a new hunting pack, anyone out there got any experience with any of these packs? Looking at both Kuiu Icon & Ultra, Mystery Ranch Metcalf or Marshall, and any of the Stone Glaicers. The SG's look suuuuper nice but are gonna hurt the wallet. But if they're that great.... buy once cry once I guess..

You should add Exo Mountain to that list. It’s a top quality pack with a lot of people on here using them. Plus it’s all made in right here in the USA. I abused the heck out of mine last year and after a trip thru the washing machine it looked like new.

I have kuiu ultra 6000 and icon pro3500? there nice, really like weight, i almost always use the 3500 cause of size and pockets. I pack out 3/4 each elk and deer each season and carries meat well. I would improve a few things so its not perfect, buddy bought new one last year and they definetely updated pack in last few years and are trying to make it even better. Hope it helps

Chris

I think those are all good options. Probably just comes down to personal preference. I've got a Kuiu Icon 5200 and am very happy with it. Rokslide is a really good site to pick up a used pack.

Nice packs. I'd also throw in Kifaru as a great pack maker. I had a Kifaru for a few years and really liked it. To cut down on weight a bit I sold it and picked up a Stone Glacier. I have no regrets. The Xcurve fits my body well and the 5900 pack has everything I want and nothing I don't. The load shelf is the cat's pajamas. A quality pack holds its value fairly well so you can try for a year and sell pretty easily without taking too much of a kicking. A used pack is also a good option.

I’ve owned Kifaru, Eberlestock, MR, Stone Glacier and a few others. I’m happy with my SG 6200. If I were buying today, I’d look at SG, Kifaru and Exo. I know several people who have broke multiple Kuiu frames. I wouldn’t give Kuiu a dime for several reasons.

You should add Exo Mountain to that list. It’s a top quality pack with a lot of people on here using them. Plus it’s all made in right here in the USA. I abused the heck out of mine last year and after a trip thru the washing machine it looked like new.

This. Exo is top for features/weight. I love mine and know that is the last pack I plan on buying.

I just purchased my first Stone Glacier pack, a Solo 3300. I love it. It's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn and the craftsmanship is top tier. All of their bags and frames are interchangeable so I really like that aspect. Look at the used market if you want to lessen the financial burden. There have been a lot of SG bags and frames for sale on the Rokslide classifieds due to SG releasing new products.

I’ve worn and owned all three and rank them SG, Kuiu, MR.

I’ve never touched a Kifaru but imagine them to be on the same level or close to SG

My brother in law broke 2 in one archery season, first one packing out his bull, second one packing out mine.

I have owned a Kuiu Icon since 2013 and have packed out A LOT of meat over the years and haven't had a probelm. One year my brother talked me in to packing both hind quaters of a cow so that we only had to make one trip. My pack didnt have any problems, but I was ready to die. I also have a couple of buddies and brother that have Icons or Icon Pros, none of which have had any problems. I'm curious if your brother in-law was using an Icon or an Ultra. Casually looking at Rokslide I thought I observed that most of the problems were with the Ultra frames. All this being said I am not a fan of Kuiu's ownership and the direction / personality of the company since I bought my pack.

Don't forget Seek Outside. Really any of the packs you mentioned will be great for hunting (except Kuiu :p ) will be good hunting packs. Depends on what fits you and what your budget looks like. Definitely buy once cry once IMO. Full disclosure: I have an SG Solo and it's been a great pack.

Kuiu. Not sure how people broker theirs, but mine had hauled out several hundred pounds several times. Best pack I have ever had. For me, its the best pack I have ever had.

I really like my Mystery Ranch Metcalf, I've used it for four seasons now and I have had no issues. I have heard good things about Stone Glacier and Kifaru, but they were out of my price point when it was time to purchase a pack. I wouldn't touch Kuiu. As other have said check out Seek Outside as well.

I own MR and Kuiu packs. I’m partial to MR, but I think pretty highly of my Kuiu pack as well. I usually carry both over the course of a season.

Kuiu. Not sure how people broker theirs, but mine had hauled out several hundred pounds several times. Best pack I have ever had. For me, its the best pack I have ever had.

Kuiu made some packs that had some frame issues, and some guys broke them. The one I had was fine. I don’t think they’re still having issues like that.

I had one slip off a bluff in the breaks and cartwheel ass over tea kettle for 300 feet with 45 lbs in it and no damage, carried out 120 lbs of elk several times, 100 lbs of mountain goat, and many backpacking trips. No issues. But there have been real issues with certain runs of them a few years back for Some people.

Last edited:
This. Exo is top for features/weight. I love mine and know that is the last pack I plan on buying.

Count me in as another exo user/fan. I have one season on it now and it’s amazing. My brother has a SG and it is a great pack as well... comes down to the individual for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back