Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Opinion pieces like this bug me

I have a bad feeling the money in that account, deployable or not, is going to be the weapon used against us at just about every corner this session. We're going to hear "FWP can afford it" on the additional NR discounted tags, free super tag draws, and defunding Habitat Montana.

View attachment 264036

I have a bad feeling the money in that account, deployable or not, is going to be the weapon used against us at just about every corner this session. We're going to hear "FWP can afford it" on the additional NR discounted tags, free super tag draws, and defunding Habitat Montana.
^^^Winner. That is a big part of the strategy. They won't let the earmarked accounts be spent, so the accounts grow and never get used. Then they (legislature and other opponents) use that growing account balance to deny any sources of non-earmarked accounts. And then they can kill most other programs or revenue sources.

If anyone doubts what has been that long-term strategy, the marijuana tax diversion is Exhibit A.

^^^Winner. That is a big part of the strategy. They won't let the earmarked accounts be spent, so the accounts grow and never get used. Then they (legislature and other opponents) use that growing account balance to deny any sources of non-earmarked accounts. And then they can kill most other programs or revenue sources.

If anyone doubts what has been that long-term strategy, the marijuana tax diversion is Exhibit A.
I'd rather win a cup of coffee with you and Ben. Honestly though, there are some big rocks to move and yet we're dealing with piddly dumb stuff (which is to your point). These are the rocks that I want to move...

a) deploy this $170M ASAP
b) formally legalize corner crossing
c) resolve season setting so we aren't hunting ruts with rifles
d) hire more wardens (may tie back to a.)
e) require FWP commissions to have 5 years of bio experience. Don't care if they're appointed like judges at that point. I'd also like to tell Cebull and Tabor that they're fired.
f) find agreement on the # of elk in the state and build towards a % of tags issued off of that population.

I'd rather win a cup of coffee with you and Ben. Honestly though, there are some big rocks to move and yet we're dealing with piddly dumb stuff (which is to your point). These are the rocks that I want to move...

e) require FWP commissions to have 5 years of bio experience. Don't care if they're appointed like judges at that point. I'd also like to tell Cebull and Tabor that they're fired.
f) find agreement on the # of elk in the state and build towards a % of tags issued off of that population.

HB 5 is a big bill, and it contains about $100,000,000 in spending authority for FWP for a variety of programs including Habitat MT and many others. This is a major expenditure of the EFB and will bring that balance down significantly. FWP generally feels comfortable with about 15% operating revenue in the bank to carry them through their fiscal cycle.

FWP is currently down 19-20 positions in the enforcement division and they are struggling to recruit more folks to join the ranks. Other states are seeing this as well due to long hours, low pay and a massive workload for Wardens across the west.

Folks are working diligently on c and f.

FWP has put together two very informative packets on both HB 5 and HB2. If you are interested in how your license dollars and PR/DJ/LWCF dollars are being spent, these two documents do a good job of laying it all out.

HB 5: https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content...ure/2023/68th-legislative-session-book-v7.pdf

HB 2: https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content...e/2023/budget-book-reduced-file-size--v18.pdf

I nominate Scott for the next open commission seat.

You’d be a great replacement for Tabor

In the credit where credit is due department, RMEF today endorsed HB 383, sponsored by Tom France, a Dem from Missoula, that would create the Montana Hunters and Anglers Community Fund, a voluntary donation fund designed for hunters and anglers to help small Montana towns with populations under 7,500. Such towns lack the tax base for community projects that benefit all and that can make a big difference in a small place. While the bill does nothing directly for wildlife resources or access, it could build significant good will between hunters and anglers and the rural communities that host them. Good on RMEF. I will express my appreciation here, elsewhere, and directly.

The only person to testify against the bill today was UPOM’s lobbyist. I wish I was there to hear that.

HB 5 is a big bill, and it contains about $100,000,000 in spending authority for FWP for a variety of programs including Habitat MT and many others. This is a major expenditure of the EFB and will bring that balance down significantly. FWP generally feels comfortable with about 15% operating revenue in the bank to carry them through their fiscal cycle.

FWP is currently down 19-20 positions in the enforcement division and they are struggling to recruit more folks to join the ranks. Other states are seeing this as well due to long hours, low pay and a massive workload for Wardens across the west.

Folks are working diligently on c and f.

FWP has put together two very informative packets on both HB 5 and HB2. If you are interested in how your license dollars and PR/DJ/LWCF dollars are being spent, these two documents do a good job of laying it all out.

HB 5: https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content...ure/2023/68th-legislative-session-book-v7.pdf

HB 2: https://fwp.mt.gov/binaries/content...e/2023/budget-book-reduced-file-size--v18.pdf
Thankfully we are finally getting the 8 million dollar events/meeting space and dormitory we have always wanted at the Beartooth Wildlife Management Area. It’s about time FWP moved into the seasonal meeting and conference business. I can’t think of a better way to spend $8,000,000🇺🇸!!!

would create the Montana Hunters and Anglers Community Fund, a voluntary donation fund designed for hunters and anglers to help small Montana towns with populations under 7,500. Such towns lack the tax base for community projects that benefit all and that can make a big difference in a small place. ……
The only person to testify against the bill today was UPOM’s lobbyist.

“We know that these towns won’t use the funds appropriately. 10 years from now our members still won’t be able to land a Cirrus Vision in Broadus. These people spent real money to own land here, and you know how inconvenient it is to have to take a helicopter from Billings or ride for two hours in an Escalade to get to the estate, when they’ve already been sitting on the plane for 3 hours? We know this money will never address these key issues.
There won’t be sushi in Jordan. Roundup will still be rundown.
So I ask, what the hell good is this going to do?”

-chuck Denowh, probably

Thankfully we are finally getting the 8 million dollar events/meeting space and dormitory we have always wanted at the Beartooth Wildlife Management Area. It’s about time FWP moved into the seasonal meeting and conference business. I can’t think of a better way to spend $8,000,000🇺🇸!!!

That caught my eye as well

The main facility and the creekside cabins are in need of razing and replacing. No extended footprint, no pavement, just road replacement on the WMA and you have to raze, replace and recondition what's already there. The main ranch house is in disrepair, and the cabins on the creek have issues related to infestation of mice, etc and they're unsafe to inhabit anymore. FWP will try and save the old cabin/kitchen house, but it all depends on the structural condition.

Given the remote location and the size and scope of the replacement, inflation and supply chain issues, $8 million is a good estimate. $1-$2 million is for road stabilization and renovation, IIRC. I think that's low, even for dirt work.

For decades, conservation groups, etc, have been using this facility to hold meetings, etc. Not any different than the Whiskey Mountain Conservation Camp outside of Dubios, WY. It's a good investment in an outdoor learning space.

In the credit where credit is due department, RMEF today endorsed HB 383, sponsored by Tom France, a Dem from Missoula, that would create the Montana Hunters and Anglers Community Fund, a voluntary donation fund designed for hunters and anglers to help small Montana towns with populations under 7,500. Such towns lack the tax base for community projects that benefit all and that can make a big difference in a small place. While the bill does nothing directly for wildlife resources or access, it could build significant good will between hunters and anglers and the rural communities that host them. Good on RMEF. I will express my appreciation here, elsewhere, and directly.

The only person to testify against the bill today was UPOM’s lobbyist. I wish I was there to hear that.

starts at 15:36:03

The main facility and the creekside cabins are in need of razing and replacing. No extended footprint, no pavement, just road replacement on the WMA and you have to raze, replace and recondition what's already there. The main ranch house is in disrepair, and the cabins on the creek have issues related to infestation of mice, etc and they're unsafe to inhabit anymore. FWP will try and save the old cabin/kitchen house, but it all depends on the structural condition.

Given the remote location and the size and scope of the replacement, inflation and supply chain issues, $8 million is a good estimate. $1-$2 million is for road stabilization and renovation, IIRC. I think that's low, even for dirt work.

For decades, conservation groups, etc, have been using this facility to hold meetings, etc. Not any different than the Whiskey Mountain Conservation Camp outside of Dubios, WY. It's a good investment in an outdoor

For decades, conservation groups, etc, have been using this facility to hold meetings, etc. Not any different than the Whiskey Mountain Conservation Camp outside of Dubios, WY. It's a good investment in an outdoor learning space.
I’ll have to vehemently disagree. This is wasteful and outside the scope and purpose of that property. If fish and game wants to get into the conference business they should do it somewhere they can do it year round. I also don’t see how the operations of this monstrosity will be funded. 12-16,000 sq ft of improvements will need serious care, funding and staffing.

The community that has given so much to Beartooth doesn’t want this. It’s irresponsible pork barrel spending.

I’ll have to vehemently disagree. This is wasteful and outside the scope and purpose of that property. If fish and game wants to get into the conference business they should do it somewhere they can do it year round. I also don’t see how the operations of this monstrosity will be funded. 12-16,000 sq ft of improvements will need serious care, funding and staffing.

The community that has given so much to Beartooth doesn’t want this. It’s irresponsible pork barrel spending.

That property has had this facility the entire time it's been owned by the agency. I guess I would disagree that it's outside the scope of the WMA.

That property has had this facility the entire time it's been owned by the agency. I guess I would disagree that it's outside the scope of the WMA.
The current improvements are historical and appropriate to the site and no one would care if they were updated. A new 12-16,000 sq ft conference center is qualitatively different. No one in this community wants this. Where did this silly idea even come from?

The current improvements are historical and appropriate to the site and no one would care if they were updated. A new 12-16,000 sq ft conference center is qualitatively different. No one in this community wants this. Where did this silly idea even come from?
Page 38 of the HB 5 packet has the description. No mention of a conference facility of that size. Do you have some documentation that shows this?

Page 38 of the HB 5 packet has the description. No mention of a conference facility of that size. Do you have some documentation that shows this?
How else would that sort of money be spent? At an exaggerated commercial construction rate if $600 sq ft it is 13,000 sq ft. The note you allude to says nothing about restoring the existing improvements, nor would that restoration need even close to 8 million. The note on page 35 is vague enough that it ought to be dismissed on its face. This idea has dumb and wasteful written all over it.

How else would that sort of money be spent? At an exaggerated commercial construction rate if $600 sq ft it is 13,000 sq ft. The note you allude to says nothing about restoring the existing improvements, nor would that restoration need even close to 8 million. The note on page 35 is vague enough that it ought to be dismissed on its face. This idea has dumb and wasteful written all over it.

I can understand the concern, but again, this is more than just building a new ranch house. It's new barns for equipment, campground upgrades, replacing existing facilities and a ton of road work. I'm going to ask the agency for the actual proposed project and we can argue facts, rather than assumptions. If it's shady, I'll be the first in line to oppose and work to change the allocation.

Here's the agency's request:

This project will develop a remote meeting space to include conference space with current communication technology, cooking facilities for large groups, and dormitory-style housing. Located in Lewis and Clark and Cascade counties about 40 miles north of Helena and 60 miles south of Great Falls, the Beartooth Wildlife Management Area encompasses 35,776 acres. It was purchased in 1970 to maintain productive and diverse plant communities that provide forage and cover for numerous fish and wildlife species.

Existing buildings are a combination of residential and agricultural buildings that served as ranch headquarters until the property was acquired by FWP in 1970. Barns and shops are used to store and maintain equipment used to manage the wildlife management area. The main home, bunkhouses, and cookhouses serve as meeting facilities for small groups. Existing buildings on this site do not meet current building codes and levels of accessibility to accommodate large groups.

Maintenance and repair costs also exceed the value of the existing spaces. Funding of this project will allow for the agency to better utilize this site for a multitude of purposes.

Request can be found: HB5, Page 16, Line 3; LRBP Book Page 116; Page 179 Fund 02409 $8,000,000 Total Request: $8,000,000

Back