Caribou Gear Tarp

Opinion pieces like this bug me

Seems an easy sell to the uninformed to say they’re making the hunting better if you’re converting hard to draw controlled hunts to general seasons. A bunch of folks won’t be bothered to understand what that really means and will just take it as a chance to go get that bull they deserve
And they best be damn quick cause the bulls they think they deserve won’t be around for long!!!

What are the odds they take all over objective units and make them otc. And if they did would private allow access to hunt the over objective elk. Also curious about how does fwp decide the the unit carrying capacity of elk.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass here, but if the absolute decimation of elk management and elk populations that have taken decades to develop, is not some thing they will stand up for, and that is not hyperbole, it’s not clear to me what their priorities are. I view them as a very good land trust organization. Maybe the best.

They certainly jump in on wolf and gun issues.

Put another way, if this lawsuit were successful, I think a strong case could be made that it would be the biggest detriment to elk and elk hunting since Montana brought them back from The brink nearly a century ago.

It’s fair to reach out to them. I’m not here to bash on the RMEF. As much as anything, it’s confusing.
I don’t disagree with any of that. I would prefer they do wade in on this issue. But I suspect they have some members that wouldn’t be pleased if they did too.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I would prefer they do wade in on this issue. But I suspect they have some members that wouldn’t be pleased if they did too.
That's life in the fast lane...very seldom does every member agree with every decision any group makes.

I just don't like having to operate with the fear one or two members may not like your decisions/positions and may quit you over them.

I think it really hamstrings your ability to operate in some cases (*all groups are like this, so not picking on the RMEF at all).

I suppose at the end of the day, their board makes the decisions and they'll be the ones having to live with them. In fairness there are lots of things to consider, but I do agree sometimes they seem pretty soft on issues that I would find hard to believe the vast majority of the membership would disagree with.

But again, their board, their decision. I am confident, that at the very least, the decisions are not made willy-nilly.

I don't know the authors of that piece, but they sound a lot like some other guys I know that bitch about every org not doing what they want the org.s to do and not doing anything about it themselves. If you hate what RMEF does or doesn't do, show up at their meetings and voice your opinion. Or start your own org and get like-minded people to join you and support your mission. Sitting around crying that no one does anything while not doing anything constructive yourself is just a lot of pissing the wind.

Here’s a good litmus test for any organization… If they seem to be focused on a single species, and have that species in their name, and a large herd of that species has been prominent and visible from their headquarters parking lot for decades and decades, and said organization sits silently on their hands as that herd is deliberately decimated to the edge of extirpation by policy decisions, that organization has its priorities misplaced.

I love the culture change on Hunt talk. Four years ago you would think I walked into a bar in Butte Montana, and started talking about how lazy and bad at fighting the Irish are, by even offering the faintest criticism of RMEF.

not no more.

I love the culture change on Hunt talk. Four years ago you would think I walked into a bar in Butte Montana, and started talking about how lazy and bad at fighting the Irish are, by even offering the faintest criticism of RMEF.

not no more.
I guess I’m stuck in the past, but RMEF has been pivotal in most of the federal land acquisitions that have happened in the recent past that I’m aware of. They have done far more for actual land access than any other org I’m aware of.

Montana game management is a dumpster fire for many reasons but not sure it’s fair to point the blame finger at RMEF. Pointing at FWP, the director, governor, commissioners, legislators, MOGA, UPOm, and yes it’s voters seems most appropriate. This state seems determined one way or another to go down the dumpster fire path. The UPOM lawsuit is just one of many paths that we may go down that gets us there but even if the UPOM lawsuit fails, we seem destined for the dumpster. With the current political climate, it will just be some other path.

Does staying silent while Montana manages its way into oblivion negate all the great things they are doing or did previously? For me it doesn’t.

I guess I’m stuck in the past, but RMEF has been pivotal in most of the federal land acquisitions that have happened in the recent past that I’m aware of. They have done far more for actual land access than any other org I’m aware of.

Montana game management is a dumpster fire for many reasons but not sure it’s fair to point the blame finger at RMEF. Pointing at FWP, the director, governor, commissioners, legislators, MOGA, UPOm, and yes it’s voters seems most appropriate. This state seems determined one way or another to go down the dumpster fire path. The UPOM lawsuit is just one of many paths that we may go down that gets us there but even if the UPOM lawsuit fails, we seem destined for the dumpster. With the current political climate, it will just be some other path.

Does staying silent while Montana manages its way into oblivion negate all the great things they are doing or did previously? For me it doesn’t.

Nobody’s blaming RMEF, people just want them to come off the sidelines on a few topics that should be very important to their mission.
If you beat the shit out of your wife all the time, you are the one responsible for it. But if I want to run THE organization nationally known for domestic violence prevention, but I’m your neighbor whom witnesses this weekly and I never intervene or call the police, maybe i should re evaluate what I am.

Nobody’s blaming RMF, people just want them to come off the sidelines on a few topics that should be very important to their mission.
If you beat the shit out of your wife all the time, you are the one responsible for it. But if I want to run THE organization nationally known for domestic violence prevention, but I’m your neighbor whom witnesses this weekly and I never intervene or call the police, maybe i should re evaluate what I am.
Good example😂. I can get onboard with that.

I don't know the authors of that piece, but they sound a lot like some other guys I know that bitch about every org not doing what they want the org.s to do and not doing anything about it themselves. If you hate what RMEF does or doesn't do, show up at their meetings and voice your opinion. Or start your own org and get like-minded people to join you and support your mission. Sitting around crying that no one does anything while not doing anything constructive yourself is just a lot of pissing the wind.
Conyngham has an extensive background, both education and experience, in environmental science. And, unlike most of the state's decision makers he is a native Montanan. The other guy is a Missoula lawyer who is into archery and was also head of a local outdoors advocacy organization.

not no more.
I'm not criticizing RMEF. Or maybe I am. I'm not even sure. But I agree with the previous post that said it get tiring to hear "working behind the scenes" when it comes to issues directly related to elk management. It seems they should have stronger opinions on those things than they do state gun regulations or baiting deer in ND or whatever. It just seems they want to keep everyone happy- the $35/yr public land DIY'er, the big money auction participants, the mega donors, the outfitters, the landowners they might want to work with, and all politicians. I love the work they do in regards to access and elk transplants. Maybe stick to that and just say "we are going to STFU about everything else because it's not in our wheelhouse", this includes hunting regulations. The argument that they are a 501C3 so they can't opine on one thing doesn't hold water when they opine on others.

not no more.
Folks are starting to wake up. With their eyes now open, their vision is now focusing through the haze.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back