Opinion on MT Missouri River Breaks Special Rifle Tags (worth the bonus points?)

Even heard of a few early season rifle hunts for bulls going on occasionally.

I think it’s more than 250 as well. I worked with a guy that got a call first part of august informing him that they were wanting to kill more bulls that year and asked him if he’d like the permit since he’d applied earlier that spring and was unsuccessful. That was 4 years ago maybe
That's correct, a friend of mine and his son had the tag (got it in a party draw) with 2 others. They went up in August drove around. His buddy filed his tag on a bull in a pivot field literally cooling off like he was at the splash park.

100 plus degree day....

Were the January bull photos floating around a few years ago in 410 or 417? Seems like those two districts see some very creative regulations.
Might even be more "creative" than unlimited sheep units I reckon...😉

That's correct, a friend of mine and his son had the tag (got it in a party draw) with 2 others. They went up in August drove around. His buddy filed his tag on a bull in a pivot field literally cooling off like he was at the splash park.

100 plus degree day....

Don’t even need a tight boots for that one. Slap on the crocs and enjoy the mist

I’ve spent the last 13 years either hunting bulls or cows with friends in the breaks 410 or 700. Maybe one or two years no one had a tag. I’d probably pass on 250 but If you stumble across a bull that breaks 300” I’d think real hard on it. 10 years ago I’d pass on the 300”
I drew a 700 archery permit for this fall. Pretty good numbers of elk to be found if the work is put in?

The Breaks are an incredible place to elk hunt. If you draw the tag, a bit of advice. Obviously the biggest bull is probably the goal. In a LE area like the Breaks, it should be. After drawing, get info and do research. Ask questions of other hunters that have had the tag. Get a good idea of what the quality of bulls is. If possible get out there and get an idea of the country. Not necessarily to scout for elk, just get a lay of the land. Then, set a goal. Pass any bull that doesn't meet the goal. This part can be tough believe me. Being realistic is the best plan. One other thing, a social hunt is great. Bring friends and family to camp. When actually out and seriously hunting, bring one hunting partner you trust. mtmuley
I drew the 700 archery permit for the fall. Has anyone hunted it in the last year or two? Will be my first time in MT (I know everyone dislikes NR) and I have low expectations. Would just like to see some mule deer and elk and potentially have a chance to put some stalks on. Any good advice? Thanks all and good luck this year

Will be my first time in MT (I know everyone dislikes NR) and I have low expectations.
Bruh..... that sentence right there is just, I dunno.

The local 700 legend around these parts that always produces is hands down @8andcounting. If you want basically up the minute advice. You'll find no one better than him that knows it.

Last edited:
Bruh..... that sentence right there is just, I dunno.
Haha sorry about that I just see a lot of threads on facebook and other places blaming all the hunting pressure issues on NR so thats my basis for that. Thanks for the advice though!

I feel guilty when I see my fellow NRs asking for forgiveness for being NRs 😭
Haha I’m not asking forgiveness I just know that NR are quite disliked by some from some posts I see(especially on facebook). Can’t imagine NRs being a problem for elk in 700 since only 75 or so draw a tag.

People would likely be more outgoing with advice if you contribute to the forum instead of only posting after drawing a LE tag
Understood. Just getting into the western hunting(my first time elk hunting will be this fall) so I don’t have much to contribute unless it’s about white tail hunting in MI.

Haha I’m not asking forgiveness I just know that NR are quite disliked by some from some posts I see(especially on facebook). Can’t imagine NRs being a problem for elk in 700 since only 75 or so draw a tag.
Facebook....... 🙄.

In all reality Facebook says there's big bulls and bucks to be had. That's the current report.

My advice cover country and be prepared to learn. Going into the 700 district with an attitude of its going downhill is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

Facebook....... 🙄.

In all reality Facebook says there's big bulls and bucks to be had. That's the current report.

My advice cover country and be prepared to learn. Going into the 700 district with an attitude of its going downhill is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.
Agreed Facebook isn’t where I’m going for what I consider truth but I see what I see I suppose. I’m planning to have to do lots of hiking and have a steep learning curve. If I see some animals and can have chance to get a stalk or 2 in I will be a happy guy. I’m optimistic and excited. Looks to be awesome country regardless.

Agreed Facebook isn’t where I’m going for what I consider truth but I see what I see I suppose. I’m planning to have to do lots of hiking and have a steep learning curve. If I see some animals and can have chance to get a stalk or 2 in I will be a happy guy. I’m optimistic and excited. Looks to be awesome country regardless.

It’s better to be there during archery than rifle. At least there’s less deer hunters around pushing things around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back