Opinion on a new pup

MEG2

I have a 13.5 year old male lab and his age is definitely showing. He is still in good health, but is a lot slower getting around, can't hear, and not sure he sees as well. We had a female that died a year ago last December. They had a bond and I believe he mourned her passing for quite some time. Actually, when I came home to find her gone, he was laying next to her.

Anyway, I have a chance to get a new pup from my son's friend. My biggest concern is how he will handle this. In some ways, I think it will be good for him to have a new companion. Then I worry that it could be hard on him. Curious as to other's opinions or experience with bringing a new pup into the family with an older dog.

I have gone through this a few times, every time the new pup is eventually accepted. I have had a couple instances where the boundless energy of the pup will make the older dog grumpy after a bit, we solve by with giving them time apart. I have found that one of the keys to successfully bringing in a new pup is to make sure you give the older dog all the attention they were used to before.

I have always tried to get the new pup while the older dog is enjoying retirement. One reason is somewhat selfish in that having the new dog helps with the pain when the older one passes. I never had an issue with the two interacting. I found the older dog will let the puppy know when playtime is too much. Continue to give older dog some attention and he will be fine. Best of luck

Have a 13 year old Lab/St. Bernard mix who was a single pet her whole life. We added Greta two years ago and the old adage that old dogs hate young dogs until they love them seemed to play out. Lots of growling, snapping and general disgust with the puppy until she figured out that the kid liked her, and wanted to play. Then they were pals, even to the point where the old dog would defend the pup from aggressive dogs when out hiking. Old dog is in decline pretty bad and the lip curls come out more often, but they're buddies and look out for each other.

I say do it. You may be surprised how much new life a pup can instill in an old dog.

Dogs usually only fight with other dogs that are the same sex and close to the same age. Most adult dogs are quite tolerant of pups. We brought a pup in to our house with our 6 year-old lab/vizsla (both females), and they had the usual dominance contest and play fighting, but no serious issues. Make sure to continue to treat the senior dog as your #1 pal until they pass away- they can act hurt/betrayed, and even start acting out, if they all of a sudden have to play second fiddle to a new dog that gets all the attention. This is especially important for the person the established dog is most attached to.

After some startling health issues with our old Weim, we ended up getting a pup. The thought behind it was to use the old man to help bring the pup up and not have to completely start training from scratch. Also, the old man has taken a liking to my 5 year old son (who he sleeps with), and we know that the traIMG_20190320_183944_140.jpgIMG_20190323_131605374.jpgnsition is going to be extremely difficult when the inevitable day arrives. Aside from the puppy's energy, they both get along very well.

The thought behind it was to use the old man to help bring the pup up and not have to completely start training from scratch.

^^^this...I've found having another well behaved dog around to be invaluable. The pup loves to follow the adult around so the "come" command becomes easy! Also can help alot with potty training if the breeder didn't start that out very good. As said before be careful with the adult being aggressive to the pup.

^^^this...I've found having another well behaved dog around to be invaluable. The pup loves to follow the adult around so the "come" command becomes easy! Also can help alot with potty training if the breeder didn't start that out very good. As said before be careful with the adult being aggressive to the pup.
It really does help having the old man (Hank) there to help 'steer' the pup (Waylon) in the right direction. Passive training is the easiest kind!

My experience is pretty similar to what others have mentioned. We added a pup last summer to our then 8 /2 year old lab. The older dog has some back and knee problems which limit her a little and we wanted the pup to get some learning from the older dog while she was as mobile as possible. There are some grumpy moments and I think the old dog really hates the chewing and bites from the pup but overall they're friends. The only thing I would change is getting the pup sooner and probably will in the future to have dogs closer in age

Not a dog expert here by any means. But there def seems to be a sweet spot in age difference. Two close together and end up having two geriatric dogs at the same time on the back end. Too far apart and you have a young dog that has a potential to hurt an old dog by playing too rough. I wouldn’t wanna put an old dog with too young of a dog other than I feel like the old dog has earned his pension in peace and quiet, but that’s cause I’m a sentimental MF’er.

So, I must admit that although I was wanting a pup, I was apprehensive about it because of my older dog, Samson. He was my #1 concern. My wife was not at all excited about it and laid down all the rules. No furniture, will stay in a kennel, etc. etc. Guess who has broke all the rules already spoiling the pup?

This is Georgie (I wanted to go with Ann, but was out voted by the 2 women of the house). She will be 8 weeks tomorrow. I really see her turning into a terrific dog and hunting companion. She has a great personality. She likes shoes, so my wife got her some flip flops. Samson tolerates her. He is not into playing and lets her know, but he lets her cuddle when napping. The one thing I have forgotten is how much work a pup is. After the 1st week, we are exhausted, but in the end, it is all worth it.

Georgie and Laurie.jpgGeorgie and Samson.jpgGeorgie2.jpgGeorgie4.jpg

Not a dog expert here by any means. But there def seems to be a sweet spot in age difference. Two close together and end up having two geriatric dogs at the same time on the back end. Too far apart and you have a young dog that has a potential to hurt an old dog by playing too rough. I wouldn’t wanna put an old dog with too young of a dog other than I feel like the old dog has earned his pension in peace and quiet, but that’s cause I’m a sentimental MF’er.

I wouldn’t have dogs more than 4-5 years apart anymore. When the older one is hitting retirement age, the young dog is in its prime. Last time I didn’t get a pup until my older dog was 9 1/2, I waited too long there.

I've found that an old dog is invaluable in 'showing the ropes' to a young pup-how to behave inside the house, how to stick around the property, when to eat, where to sleep, how to be with the kids, commands like 'sit/stay/come'. We've been in that situation several times and it makes training soooo much easier!

Wife got a Westie pup when our Golden was 6.....I thought it would be a disaster. WTH do I know, she loves that little booger. Occasionally she will give him a correction but she really does love him. And HE cannot go without her or he will lose his shiz :)

Attachments

• Daisy and Hammie.jpg
    Daisy and Hammie.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back