Yeti GOBOX Collection

Opener treated me alright

To paraphrase, well, you:

You'll never kill a nice mule deer if you keep putting A tags on whitetails.

That is a good point, but pretty much grew up only hunting whiteys so thats all I had figured out;) After seeing over a dozen bulls this weekend and nothing that fit the bill for a wall hanger, I might just switch gears to Mule Deer....;) We have a back up cow tag that should be a guaranteed freezer filler later in the year so maybe I should leave these dumb elk alone for a bit:D

Sorry critter, we here on Hunt Talk took a vote and you don't get to "own" every species on the planet. You are only allowed forkies or lower on mule deer. Sorry, majority rules....:D

Well, guess that means I will go without one:)..175 or better on mule deer for me. Not exactly in the best state for making that happen though.....

That's a hell of a sun burn, I mean mule deer. I don't know how far in you were but why pack 8# of lower leg out?
All joking aside congratulations.

I don't know how far in you were but why pack 8# of lower leg out?

The packout was about six miles. Since I was demoing a pack and considering buying it, I wanted to load it up well for a test. Next time I'm taking a deer that far, I'll bone the whole thing out.

Great buck and pics, congrats! You have definitely had a good year. Was this a solo affair? I assume same rifle as the goat hunt?

Carl, which model was the pack?

That model was a Solo, which is the perfect size for the 1 to 4 day trips I usually take. I do have a pretty compact gear setup though. In addition to the usual, this trip I had 3.5 days of food, a bigger shelter than usual (Shangri-la 5 tipi), my warmer sleeping bag (Mountain Hardware Phantom 15), rain jacket and pants, a heavy down jacket, and down over pants. It fit, but the pack was quite full. I never really carry more, unless I'm playing sherpa for someone else.

Pack link:
http://www.stoneglacier.com/solo.html

Great buck and pics, congrats! You have definitely had a good year. Was this a solo affair? I assume same rifle as the goat hunt?

Not solo, I was with three other family/friends. Two got nice bucks as well. And yep, it was the GAP 6.5x47L, which I'm really liking!

Man, there is a lot of jerky in that body. For that packout, I think he would have been boned out if it was me. I got tired of hauling out bones years ago.

Great job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back