Caribou Gear Tarp

Open country mule deer - will 8.5x suffice or 10X be a wiser choice?

Hunting SW Colorado this fall for mule deer - each year I do a DIY / public land trip west for elk and so far most of this has been in fairly dense areas where my 8.5EL's perform superbly. I anticipate this trip to be much, much more open than past trips and was wondering if I am giving up a lot (or nothing) in regards to 10X binos. Considering turning in rewards points for a set of 10X EL's if it would make a noticeable difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

If you're serious about it, then you'll carry a spotter anyway. In that case, I don't see trading up worth it, especially when you are already using top quality 8.5's.

I agree on the spotting scope. I don't carry mine much for elk hunting, but for deer hunting they are absolutely invaluable. You will find bedded deer that you could never dream of seeing with your binos.

I agree on the spotting scope. I don't carry mine much for elk hunting, but for deer hunting they are absolutely invaluable. You will find bedded deer that you could never dream of seeing with your binos.

+1 This

I would feel naked with only 8.5's trying to spot mule deer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back