Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

You think there are a lot of coyotes until you talk to the guys shooting them out of the planes. It’ll blow your mind. I know of a ranch(not a huge ranch) with a feed lot that they flew last winter and killed around 150 in a day just on and right near that ranch.
I know a farmer that paid for his plane in two winters shooting coyotes back in the 1980's when fur prices were high. They'd pick em up with snowmobiles.

Curious of the hunt talk members that made the cut for the mule deer advisory council? I know of a couple and I am pleased with the choices. I unfortunately will not be able to give ideas to help a struggling mule deer herd.

Curious of the hunt talk members that made the cut for the mule deer advisory council? I know of a couple and I am pleased with the choices. I unfortunately will not be able to give ideas to help a struggling mule deer herd.
So far I only know of two HT members, Eric and myself. I hope there are a few more.

There was a long time I didn’t believe that coyotes killed many deer. My views have changed. Especially when there is deep snow
They don’t need deep snow. Coyotes will take a deer anytime they want to, and not just sick, young, or injured. I’ve seen perfectly healthy mature buck deer at dusk reduced to nothing but ears/nose/antlers by daybreak.

In the Missouri Breaks mule deer study back in the day they found that hard frozen ground conditions made footing poor in the steep breaks and washes that mule deer use in winter in that country. Predation from coyotes would go way up then, and that condition was much more frequent than deep snow conditions. Something that I had never considered.

In the Missouri Breaks mule deer study back in the day they found that hard frozen ground conditions made footing poor in the steep breaks and washes that mule deer use in winter in that country. Predation from coyotes would go way up then, and that condition was much more frequent than deep snow conditions. Something that I had never considered.

Walk the draws in 410. Nearly every one has lots of bones in it. Lots of coyotes in that area too. Only going to be worse with fur prices down until Mother Nature knocks them back with mange.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back