MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Open Country Mule Deer Habitat

Skynard

Howdy all,

Montana general deer in my pocket. Will be up there thanksgivingish week.

Hoping to stay out of the high country in or the mountains. Central to east side of the state is better from what I hear.

What kind of habitat do I need to be scouting for?

Water obviously, but I’m guessing not as important as finding water in the desert.

Food? What do those deer eat? Where will I find the does?

Stay away from xyz type of public?

My best advice is don't overthink it, just go explore and have fun. Pick a yellow or blue polygon on a map with a red line either going through or touching it and then find a good vantage to glass from or get the wind right and creep through it. If you don't find deer, pick another polygon to try. Shouldn't take more than a handful of attempts to find some. Of course some areas are way better than others, but there is no magic formula to rut hunting breaks/plains deer other than to be out there looking.

My best advice is don't overthink it, just go explore and have fun. Pick a yellow or blue polygon on a map with a red line either going through or touching it and then find a good vantage to glass from or get the wind right and creep through it. If you don't find deer, pick another polygon to try. Shouldn't take more than a handful of attempts to find some. Of course some areas are way better than others, but there is no magic formula to rut hunting breaks/plains deer other than to be out there looking.
thank you

I have had good luck finding glassing spots in open country by turning the exaggeration WAY up on google earth. Like 3-5. Its nice to show up with a couple good glass spots to start with. I am sure after a couple days you will find better, but at least you have a good starting point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back