Onxmaps problem. Need help quick

Tallman

I have the onxmaps chip for garmin Oregon 450t and I also have the onxmaps App for iPad. When I try and use the gps coordinates from the iPad and plug them into my GPS. The waypoints are off. I think it is due the decimal places on the app
Example. iPad app. W 108 2 48.146104
N 35 0 13.835955
GPS
N 35 00.138
W 108 02.481

Help me please. I have marked tons of stuff on the iPad and at the time I tried to export them. The app was not working correctly. Now I am 20 hours from home and all my way points I manually enter into the gps don't match. I just walked three hours and discovered this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could your wife or someone send you screenshots off the IPad? You might be able to figure out where you marked your waypoints that way..

Set them both up so they display the same format of DMS, decimal degrees, or decimal minutes. Otherwise, you're going to have an arduous task of converting from one format to another. If you can't change the format in the app, change your GPS to match the app. If your GPS is currently in decimal minutes format, N 35 0.231 W 108 2.802 is what you want to enter to match your DMS coordinates. As you can see, it's not just a matter of moving the decimal point around to go between the different formats. Also, make sure the app and GPS are using the same datum such as WGS84. Different datums will give you different coordinates for the same point on a map.

Set them both up so they display the same format of DMS, decimal degrees, or decimal minutes. Otherwise, you're going to have an arduous task of converting from one format to another. If you can't change the format in the app, change your GPS to match the app. If your GPS is currently in decimal minutes format, N 35 0.231 W 108 2.802 is what you want to enter to match your DMS coordinates. As you can see, it's not just a matter of moving the decimal point around to go between the different formats. Also, make sure the app and GPS are using the same datum such as WGS84. Different datums will give you different coordinates for the same point on a map.
Yep! Make sure the device and the data are in the same format. Then you should be good to go.

This is an example why I prefer to use Universe Trans Mercator (UTM) when doing GPS or map work. IMO/E it's a bit less confusing and much easier to tell if both things are in the same format. With UTMs you just have to watch your Zones.

Even if you get your GPS set to the right format, you'll still have to re-enter all of your points.

Even if you get your GPS set to the right format, you'll still have to re-enter all of your points.
That is correct, I was mainly trying to point out why his waypoints weren't jiving with where he marked them in the app. If he has very many waypoints to transfer, it would be much easier to export them from the app (I assume it will export waypoints as kml files), then use something like gpsbabel or dnrgps to convert kml to gpx so they can be uploaded to the gps, rather than manually entering coordinates. That would also remove coordinate formatting issues from the equation.

That is correct, I was mainly trying to point out why his waypoints weren't jiving with where he marked them in the app. If he has very many waypoints to transfer, it would be much easier to export them from the app (I assume it will export waypoints as kml files), then use something like gpsbabel or dnrgps to convert kml to gpx so they can be uploaded to the gps, rather than manually entering coordinates. That would also remove coordinate formatting issues from the equation.

Exactly. I just saw that he mentioned entering them manually. Wanted him to understand that in his situation being in the field, he needs to get his GPS in the same coordinate system and datum the iPad was in and re-enter his points.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back