Only one gun

VAspeedgoat

Alright, because hunting is pretty much winding down for a while and its cold and I have time to ponder really stupid stuff, I have a hypothetical question. If you could only have one gun what would it be? The parameters are that it includes all types of game and all types of guns. That means squirrels to grizzlies, .22 short to .600 nitro. BUT!, it can't be an interchangeable barrel gun.

I have determined that if the NRA fails us and this is the dilemma I would have to settle on a 12ga, and for my prefference a remington 870. It is the only thing that would handle the majority of my hunting needs with small game included. Hopefully a rifled choke tube or heavy shot would gain me a little distance. If I left out small game an 06 may do the trick but I would be able to cover my hunting needs pretty well with my .270. But one gun and so much to hunt it always comes back to the 12 ga for me.

Thoughts?

Kimber Montana 84l in 30-06 with a 3.5-10 vx3 with CDS.

+1 with big R on the caliber. 30-06 is about as universal as one could get with the parameters described. For the rifle...I'd go with a Winchester M70 sporter

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure I would want to live off birds so the shotty is out. I would go with a .270 for venison and wapiti. I will use rocks to kill an occasional grouse. ;)

I only own one rifle, a 270 WSM. It has killed everything from grouse to moose for me. It would be my choice. For small game I can take head shots. I'd feel fine using it for big bears as long as I was plenty far away. I like the gun and caliber enough that I have no plans to ever buy another rifle for myself. Of course, when the future kiddos come along, I'll have to invest in something a bit tamer, probably a 7mm-08.

Pinrcricker I think you may havr outsmarted me!

I thought it may bring different answers from different areas. Here in Va there are areas that are buckshot only. Beanfield rifles be damned! I still think I could get it all done with the 12, 90 percent of my hunting is woodland whitetails and squirrels with the kids.

Gee I wonder why I get giddy when I get out west to hunt, fish or camp? It get claustrophobic around here!

I have a friend who has a 16's over 8x57R guild built drilling. Certainly a special firearm. Albeit a bit heavy... A drilling would be mighty hard to argue with...

With the firearms I own, I would keep my Sako 85 Varmint in .308.

I have a JP Sauer in the same configuration, and a Sauer Sidelock with 12's over 9.3x74R. They balance a lot better than folks would think.

If you had to "get by" with one gun, then a pump 12 gauge would be the answer. If you are talking rifles, options are endless. I would stay with my 7 mags, though.

For a rifle, it would probably be a 30-06 as it has the largest variety of ammo including sabot based. Most importantly though, I would prefer a firearm with IRON SIGHTS assuring myself of placing a shot THUS affording me extended use of the firearm !

I am 100% with VAspeedgoat on the 870 choice. With options to run everything from sabot slugs and buckshot, all the way down to the tiniest of birdshot, the 870 is a do-it-all gun....at least for where I live and hunt in he Piedmont areas of Virginia. I have taken deer, turkey, rabbits, geese, ducks, and squirrel with the same gun. (and although it's not the point of this website, the 870 makes a damn nice self-defense tool, too).

There are much better choices in shotguns than an 870. Not putting it down, but times have changed. I use my Beretta auto for birds and deer and it is deadly out to 150 yards at 2 MOA. The new sabot slugs are really accurate compare to the old ones and quick too at 2000 feet per second. Not a rifle but pretty darn good for most applications. The new autos just don't jam like the old ones did. In fact I have seen more pumps jam than autos in the last 10 years. So my choice is a 12 ga Beretta auto.

Good call on the self defense aspect, kingsnake. Because in the bizarre theoretical hell world where we can only have one gun, self defense would be important. We need a name for this one gun world. Maybe we should call it Washington DC and pretend like Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi are in charge..............I shouldn't have written that after lunch, I think I'm gonna puke!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back