one more week

mixedbag

i leave for Africa on the 21st of this month.Anyone who's gone want to share a short packing list.Most everything is included with this hunt,but I'm still worried I'll forget something.been looking forward to hunting Africa since I started hunting 30 years ago.Taking my Dad on this trip,and we are planning a few days of sightseeing as well.Guns is shooting great,and my bow has never been better.Just shot a Robin Hood at 40 yards with it
thanks for any suggestions on things to bring along.Not looking forward to sitting on an airplane for 15 hrs though

Have a great trip. NO SUCH THING as too many photos. People, terrain, animals, plants. Save time for a journal.

Zip strips, duct tape, hand sanitizer, gloves..mostly for protection of skin, not so much for warmth, Sleep-aid (talk with your doctor) for the long flight, but make sure to get up and stretch every couple of hours.

You're a lucky man Scott. Enjoy the trip and be sure to post plenty of pictures.

Have a great trip. NO SUCH THING as too many photos. People, terrain, animals, plants. Save time for a journal.

Zip strips, duct tape, hand sanitizer, gloves..mostly for protection of skin, not so much for warmth, Sleep-aid (talk with your doctor) for the long flight, but make sure to get up and stretch every couple of hours.

For sure! That and stay hydrated...I threw a blood clot last October and am still paying for it...Mines from a old injury, but way to many guys get them on trips...Above all have a great time, can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Were headed to Namibia for the hunt.Definitely won't forget something to put me to sleep for a little while on the plane.Have fresh 4GB cards for my camera,and a 16 for the go-pro.Bringing along some drink mixes in case I don't care for whats offered at the camp.If it rains again tomorrow, I'll have a chance to finish my packing.Plan to take alot of pictures.Then I'll have to take some time and learn how to post them
Can't wait to check the place out!!!Have a feeling my bank account gonna take a big hit,but this may be a once and done thing

Good luck on your hunt. Don't get to focused on the kill, take your time and enjoy the hunt!

What animal is your main focus?

Were headed to Namibia for the hunt.Definitely won't forget something to put me to sleep for a little while on the plane.Have fresh 4GB cards for my camera,and a 16 for the go-pro.Bringing along some drink mixes in case I don't care for whats offered at the camp.If it rains again tomorrow, I'll have a chance to finish my packing.Plan to take alot of pictures.Then I'll have to take some time and learn how to post them
Can't wait to check the place out!!!Have a feeling my bank account gonna take a big hit,but this may be a once and done thing

It won't be one and done. So many guys go over there thinking this is "once in a lifetime" but you will be trying to figure out how to go again before you even leave to come home.

Take a pair of light gloves, a stocking cap, and a medium weight jacket for riding in the back of the land cruiser in the early morning. Drink lots of Tafel lager, Amarula, and eat lots of biltong and droerwors. Request to eat game for every meal. Make sure to eat Zebra and if available Eland. There will be lots of game meat to eat as it all gets butchered immediately and then sold to the local butcher or market.

Shoot as many baboons and jackals as you can. If you see something you like and can't quite afford it don't be afraid to negotiate the trophy fee, especially if you already have some good trophy's in the salt. Make sure they have a shotgun in camp and set aside some time to sit at a waterhole and shoot guinea fowl, doves, and sand grouse and be sure they cook them for you at camp. One of the best meals of my safari was when we had some game birds. See if you can shoot a young warthog for the pot, and do it if it's an option. Warthog is delicious.

Keep an open mind on some animals you have already dismissed from interest. Once you see them in person you may want to hunt them. Be an opportunist and express to your PH that if an exceptional specimen of a species is spotted that you will entertain taking it even if it is not one of your main target species. Shoot a 2nd Gemsbok if you get a chance at a 40" Bull and it is an upgrade.

Eat at Joe's Beerhouse in Windhoek. When you arrive, ask to stop and visit http://www.the-gunshop.com/ it's a great little gun shop right in town with a really neat selection of Rugers, Remington's, Marlins, and Sako's, and it's next to a grocery store in case you forgot some stuff like cold medicine, advil etc.

What flight are you taking over and what outfitter are you hunting with? Are you also taking rifles?

Man, thanks for all the tips in that last post!!I'm going with Agagia for 10 days and plan to do some sightseeing,shopping,and maybe fishing for a few days of the trip.And of course, hit the game park to see the big 5 up close and personal
The main animals I want are a kudu and gemsbok.I have a package which includes gemsbok,warthog and zebra.I'm paying extra for the kudu if I get the chance at one.I plan to look over some other animals and see if hunting them interests me.Baboons and jackals might be fun tartget practice with my bow or gun.My good friend also suggested a day of wing shooting.So if time allows,I'll have to decide on fishing for tiger fish or some wing shooting
I will take lots of pictures for you guys and let you know exactly what I think about the hunting out there when I return.I may need some help to get them posted quicker as I'm no computer guy for sure,but I do need to learn more about this thing
Thanks for all the well wishes.I'm pumped to get there!!!!Dreamed of hunting there for 30 years now since I started hunting.After this, next on my list is diy in Alaska for caribou or moose.I finally hooked up with a guy to do this with in 2 years

Gemsbok are everywhere in that area of Namibia. You shouldn't have any problem getting a good one. Keep in mind they don't need water to survive so if you are sitting water all the time with a bow you will see some but not as many as if you were out in the bush stalking. They can get all the moisture they need from eating grasses but if water is easily available some will come drink.

Kudu, Warthogs, Hartebeest, and Zebra will come to the water everyday. I hope you are hunting Hartmann's Zebra and not Burchell's. I say that because you will be in the heart of a small range where the mountain zebras are native. To be able to take a Zebra in it's native environment that is very limited in area is a great accomplishment, plus the hides are really nice for rugging because of the lack of shadow stripes. Take a good hard look at Red Hartebeest too. They are a very unique animal that really represents Africa. I didn't have one on my wish list but after watching my wife hunt them I took one as well. They are a really fun animal to hunt.

I would certainly ask about shooting management animals. If you get your main trophies in the salt and you don't want any other heads or hides for at home, shoot as many non trophy (broken horn, old, sick, female etc) animals as you can. My next safari will be mostly cull/management animals at a fraction of the cost and a few select trophies to bring home.

Jackals make an awesome tanned hide and baboon skulls are really cool. Usually you can shoot as many as you want for free, and only pay a trophy fee if you want to export them. You won't find a tougher animal to hunt than a baboon. I suggest you take a small cheap varmint mouth call with you, brand new. Hunt the jackals just like coyotes here in the states. Then leave the call with the PH or your lead tracker as a gift. Most of those guys don't really know how effective calling for jackals can be as they just drive roads at night shooting them. If they haven't called jackals before they will be impressed and the call is cheap and a good gift that otherwise isn't easy for them to get over there.

I also suggest applying for the medals from NAPHA for your animals if they qualify. They make some really neat medals that can be attached to plaques of euro mounts and certificates that look great in a photo album or framed and hung with the trophy.

Can I stowaway in your suitcase?

With the knowledge you have of hunting over there, I wish I could get you in my suitcase.Down to 4 days now!!

I cannot wait to hear your report when you get back. Soak in every moment you can. I was in Namibia last August. You will have the time of your life. Take lots of pictures and then take even more. Write in your journal daily. You will cherish it even more as you read it in the years to come. One thing I'm glad i did was coat all my clothing with permethrin. It will keep all the nasty bugs off of you. Don't take to much clothing as there are laundry services generally with your outfitters. Enjoy the hunt but even more the culture and the people are what you will remember forever.

Back