One Gun Hunter

Stay away from hornad sst and gmx . They suck on elk. The interlocks put them down in less than half the time.

Copper 165's in an 06 will kill anything in North America you have a tag for, except for the big bears.

I read where the former world record Grizzly, now #2, was killed with a 22 long from an old single shot gun by an old woman running her trap line. I think if it's true, and I don't doubt it, how you use what you have is more important than what you have. If it were me, I'd have passed on that Grizzly till I had a bit more gun!

I read where the former world record Grizzly, now #2, was killed with a 22 long from an old single shot gun by an old woman running her trap line. I think if it's true, and I don't doubt it, how you use what you have is more important than what you have. If it were me, I'd have passed on that Grizzly till I had a bit more gun!
Yep. Bella Twin killed it with a single shot .22 rifle using .22 longs!

Yes, great story. Can you imagine? I wouldn't have the cojones to have tried that, even if I'd known how.

I started out hunting with a .30-06. Back then the Colorado deer and elk tags were over the counter and ran concurrently, but depending on where I wanted to hunt, I loaded 150 grain bullets for deer and 180 grain bullets for elk. Like was posted earlier, it's a pain to re-zero your rifle every week if you switch bullets, plus sometimes I would run across a deer while elk hunting, or find an elk while deer hunting, so a deer or two was killed with 180 grain bullets, and an elk or two was killed with 150 grain bullets. 165-168 grain .30 caliber bullets are a good compromise, and when I started hunting with my .300 Weatherby, I used 168 grain TSX or TTSX bullets for everything from 20 pound African antelope to bull elk and New Zealand Red Deer.

With the cost of TSX/TTSX bullets being over twice the cost of conventional cup and core bullets, I worked up a load with 168 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets for practice. I have now switched to 180 grain TTSX bullets for all of my hunting with my .300 Wby and last week I checked the zero with both bullets:
uuVgkrPm.jpg

My scope is a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS, that I had Leupold make a turret for my 180 grain TTSX load. The scope is zeroed for 200 yards, and in the above 100 yard target, the hole in the center is from a 168 grain Hornady BTHP Match, and without changing anything on the scope, the two holes above the orange dot are from my 180 grain TTSX bullets handloaded at 3248 fps.

Other then me being happy with my .300 Weatherby and the performance of these bullets in it, this shows the bullet impact variation that may occur with different brand and weight bullets.

Sorry, I got to the party pretty late. But, it seems that you’ve made a decision. Matter of fact....a pretty good choice of bullets! ;)

I highly recommend deciding on one bullet, and use it exclusively. In the “heat of battle”, is no time to be thinking about various trajectories, different bullet terminal ballistics (can I take a “raking shot”....do I wait for broadside, ect.) We (wife and I)use Barnes TTSX’s....one cartridge, one bullet, one load, one zero for all of our hunting! It’s difficult to fault the “KISS” method! memtb

My bullet choice for my 30/06 (Thompson/Center Venture) is a 168 Barnes TTSX pushed by 55.0 grains of IMR-4350. Shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, and I don't feel under gunned for anything I would be hunting here in Louisiana or as a back-up for Elk in New Mexico (where I normally use my .340 Weatherby with 225 Barnes TTSX).

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back