Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Once In a Lifetime

Back to moose hunting.

The Day 1 bull was holed up in an area with several cows. Breeding season was fast approaching and the parcel of land he chose to relax with the ladies looked to be off limits to hunting by anyone but the owner. My suspicion was somewhat confirmed by a neighboring landowner that @Flatrock and I had met a few days prior. On my last day to hunt the landowner "Sam" and I crossed paths while he and his son were out deer hunting during youth season.

We exchanged information about moose and deer and I showed him pictures of the Day 1 bull. Sam agreed that he was indeed a good bull. When I told him where I had last seen him the reply I received was, "You're F-d, you ain't getting permission to get in there!" Sam did tell me where he and his son saw a bull that morning. The bull was on their land and he gave me permission to go after him if I wanted.

I went to the area and found the bull but he wasn't the caliber of bull I wanted. I had seen the bull many times but several miles from his current location. The rut was on and these bulls were moving! A biologist I contacted prior to season said during the rut bulls would travel up to 20 miles per day in search of cows. I was seeing bulls moving from the area I had been hunting them and my time to hunt them had run out. I headed home to my family without harvesting a bull during archery season.

The good new was that my tag was good for rifle season which started on October 9th. The bad news was I wouldn't be able to make it out again until October 15th. Would the Day 1 bull still be in the area? Would he be alive by the time I made it back?

The opener of rifle season came and I found myself at home due to conflicts with my wife's work schedule. My wife is very patient with me and my passion for hunting although she ins't a hunter herself. We have two young children and each time I leave on a hunting trip she is often left alone with the kids. We are fortunate that each of our parents are within a half day's drive and come and help with the kids when they can. However this time I needed to be home and take care of the kids while my wife worked. I was watching the kids but all I could think about were moose.

Over the next few days I received many text pictures from friends who knew someone who, knew someone, etc that had shot a moose. Lots of big moose were being shot and I was praying one would be left by the time I was able to get out hunting again.

On Thursday, nearly a full week after rifle season had opened, I was back in moose country. The first evening I saw a few moose but nothing like the numbers I had seen during archery season. The rut combined with upland and rifle moose seasons being open had surely moved a lot of moose around.

With a winter storm rolling in I read a book in the comforts of an old grain bin that had been converted to a hunting cabin. Thanks again to some of @Flatrock 's family for generously letting me stay in the cabin vs the tent I was planning on sleeping in. Wind was driving snow into the outside wall as the beginning of an October cold front was moving in.
IMG_8057.jpg
IMG_8058.jpg

Following a great night's sleep in the hunting cabin I was up and ready to go before sunrise. Driving to moose country in the dark of morning I was anxious for what I may find. Flatrock and another friend would be on their way to join me later that day and spend the weekend helping me fill my moose tag. The anticipation level was high.

Not long after first light I saw two moose on Bill's land in the exact location I had seen the Day 1 bull several times. I arrived at a glassing location I had been to many times before. Through the glass I saw two bulls. One a small bull and the other a decent bull, but not the Day 1 bull. On I went in search of more moose.

I meandered my way toward the sanctuary where I had last seen the Day 1 bull. As I drove near I saw a moose standing in some trees, then another, and another two more. There was a bull with a cow and two calves. Not only was it a bull but I was sure it was the Day 1 bull! This time, instead of being on land within the sanctuary, he was standing on neighboring land enrolled in the North Dakota Game & Fish PLOTS program.

The Private Land Open to Sportsman (PLOTS) is similar to private land access programs in other states such as Montana's Block Management. However, PLOTS land does not require a permission slip from the landowner so access could be had immediately.

I drove past the moose and found a spot I could glass from without spooking the moose. A quick look through the spotting scope had me convinced this was the Day 1 bull. He was raking some shrubs while the cow and calves were grazing, unaware of my presence. I assessed the wind and terrain and made a plan for a stalk.

I drove to a place where I felt I could begin my stalk. I put on my pack and loaded my rifle. I needed to make it 200-300 yards to be in a position I felt would give me a good look at the bull at a distance I was comfortable shooting.

Using cattails as cover I slowly crept toward the bull. The wind direction wasn't great but it wasn't bad. If I could stay to the south of the bull the due west wind shouldn't reach him as he was located northeast of me. Occasionally I would get a glimpse of the bull and it appeared he was slowly working his way around the wetland area raking his antlers.

When I reached the place I thought I would be able to shoot from it was obvious the bull had moved farther away toward the east edge of the wetland. I kept moving forward slowly until I reached the east edge of the cover. The moose were nowhere in sight!

What had happened? Did they smell me? I checked the wind and it was strong and true so I don't think they winded me. Did I spook the cows? I never heard or saw any running moose so I don't think that happened either. S#$T!!!! A million thoughts went through my head. I couldn't help but think I blew it but I wasn't going to give up that easily. I had spent far too much time and worked too hard to give up now.

I was sure I hadn't spooked the moose and that they were probably not far away but most likely are in the security provided by the sanctuary. I decided that I would sit down next to a tree and attempt to call the bull back toward me.

AAAUUUGGGHHH the inevitable happened! I started reading this hunting story thinking, "it's multiple pages, there must be an ending to it...." and here I am, finishing the last post right before the climax.

I admire your perspective and sportsmanship; can't wait for the end!

I dropped my pack and extended the bipod on my rifle as I readied to call the bull. Before I could sit down the head of a moose appeared over a berm covered in tall grass that separated property I could hunt and property I couldn't. The head appeared next to the trees in the top right of this photo. Attached to the head was a giant set of moose antlers!IMG_8063.jpg

The bull was approximately 50 yards onto the adjacent property and only 200 yards away in total. As I sat down to attempt to call him he turned and looked at me. I quickly sat down, out of sight of the bull.

With the support of the bipod on the front and my pack assisting to stabilize the buttstock a round was chambered and the rifle pointed in the direction of the bull. Before I could make a sound the bull walked up and on the berm separating the properties. HOLY S$%T! He was looking intently in my direction but with me being against a tree and in tall grass I don't think he could see me.

After a quick glance the bull proceeded to walk directly at me. With each step he would let out a soft grunt. Closer and closer he came! No way was this happening! Despite the bipod and pack as support the crosshairs of my scope were bouncing up and down. I knew I would have to pull it together and tighten things up since it appeared a frontal shot was going to be the shot I would get. The bull kept walking closer, grunting the whole way.

At 35 yards I decided even a shaking hunter couldn't miss an animal of this size. I adjusted slightly to the right, maybe a couple inches, and the bull stopped and turned slightly away providing a strong quartering shot. BOOM! I cycled the bolt and set back on the rifle. The bull was hit hard and holding his front leg up as he moved to the right of me. BOOM! Another shot just behind the crease. He stopped, leaned and fell!
IMG_8060.jpg

The bull was down only 50 yards away!

I sat in disbelief as to what had just happened. Then I gave thanks to the Lord for the blessings He provided that led me to where I was currently sitting. After several minutes I stood up and walked to the bull. He was magnificent! I notched my tag and placed it on the antler.
IMG_8066.jpg

Last edited:
I sent a few text messages to friends and family and my phone started blowing up with replies. I made a call to @Flatrock to fill him in on what had happened. I wished he had been there but we were both happy I was able to harvest such a great bull.

Here I am with my once in a lifetime North Dakota bull moose. When I shot I was sitting against one of the trees seen on the right side of the photo.
DSC0E0813.JPG

As it turns out, the bull I had just harvested wasn't the Day 1 bull I had been pursuing. I believe him to be the "other big bull rumored to be in the area" that I had referenced earlier in the story. When I put a tape to him he measured just shy of 52" wide.

As I bask in the afterglow of this moment, now all I can think about is the tech specs....caliber, bullet, terminal performance. Details, man, details!

I used a Weatherby Vanguard S2 rifle chambered in 30-06. I have many rifles, some much fancier and trendier, but this rifle fits me like a glove and has taken many animals over the years. The rifle is topped with a Leupold VX5HD purchased from Schmalts. I was shooting Barnes 168 TTSX bullets.

Terminal performance was great. Both bullets exited. Field dressing indicated the first took out the top of the bull's heart and the second shot took out what was left of the lungs.

That combo screams "do-all, anywhere" and I'm happy it worked out for you. What an amazing season, and the perspective/attitude you brought to the adventure makes it so much more enjoyable for the rest of us to read it as it unfolded. Thank you very much for sharing it, and congratulations!

Here is where things get really "North Dakotan!"

I had permission to hunt the land I was on given it was enrolled in PLOTS but I was really hoping I could get permission to drive on the land to dress and load the moose. I went to the farmer's (Roger) house to get permission. Roger wasn't home so I found his number, called and left a voicemail. He immediately called me back and asked what was going on. I explained the situation and asked if I could drive in the wheat stubble to take care of the moose. He said, "Yes of course!"

We visited a little bit and he asked where I was from and we did a classic North Dakota thing in finding out if we had any mutual friends. It turns out he knew, and is friends with, the gentleman who let me stay in the hunting cabin. I told him I had a bottle of bourbon I'd like to leave him if he was inclined. He told me the front door was open and I could just leave it inside and while there I could help myself to some snacks and whatever I could find in the fridge. With all the turmoil in the world these days it was quite refreshing to remember people like Roger are still around!

I called Dan to tell him the news and he offered to bring a Bobcat skidsteer to help load the moose. Things were really falling into place and I couldn't help but feel like I was reaping some good karma earned throughout the season.

Back