Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Old wives tales.

One other thing in that statemant he said Snake

Bullets do not "RISE" and fall. Bullets cannot and willnot rise. They start to fall once exiting of the barrel occurs.

Bullets will cross the line of sight twice but never rise above the bore.

Welcome to Moosie's
You are exactly right. the only reason that I'm bothering with this guy is that he keeps making claims as to what "a trained marksman" would or woundn't do. and it's clear that this gut has seldom or ever fired a shot himself.
Though to be accurrate the bullet never rises above the line of the bore

Ya'll are starting on some pretty shakey ground with your assumptions about bullets going fast always opening. Not always the case..

:cool:

Matt, How will bullets cross the line of sight twice without ever rising about the line of the bore?

Sorry, I had a small brain fart,, but then I only have a small brain, so I guess that's ok.. Interesting thing about bullets and gravity. If you fire a rifle with the bore level, and you drop a projectile from the height of the bore at the same time the bullet exits the bore, which one will hit the ground first?

danr55 said:
Ya'll are starting on some pretty shakey ground with your assumptions about bullets going fast always opening. Not always the case..

We did not say that bullets going fast always open. What we said was that there is no such thing as a bullet going too fast to open. A bullet going fast but designed for a much higher velocity (or a solid) may not open but the idea that a normal say 7mm bullet that works fine out of a 7-08 will not open when fired from a 7mm mag won't open is wrong. It may break up however.

I dont think they'll both hit the ground at exactly the same time except in a vacuum. Atmospheric stresses (wind, particulates, etc.) will effect the flight of the bullet.

Not sure how you would detect the difference, but I bet there is one.

TTLS said:
That a .220 Swift burns barrels up "significantly" faster than anything else. :rolleyes:
Let's talk about that one for a minute. The swift is my favorite high velocity .22 round and I've cut a number of them over the years. My favorite is a Hart barreled rem 700 with over 4000 rds through it. Mostly the 52 gr speer HP over 39.0 grs of IMR4064. It will still ag in the low fours. Is it shot out? Well when new it would ag in the mid threes, so yes it is starting to go. but a gun that will shoot 5 five shot groups at 100 yds and 5 five shot groups at 200 yds with the aggregate is 0.400" hardly could be said to be shot out.
Any other swift shooter out there? what's your experience?

Had to share this one from predator masters

The .257 Roberts is grouped with the 220 Swift in premature barrel wear. 1000 rounds and they are toast. That is one of the reasons it is not a popular rifle.

:rolleyes:

Old wives tale...
I wil never get fat and always be horny after we are married

For some reason, guys from a certain part of the country claim that they can make a normal shotshell into a "slug" simply by partially cutting through the hull just ahead of the brass :eek:

Can anybody see a problem with that?

How about "cartridges with shallow shoulder angles stretchs more on fireing and needs to be trimmed more often"
The cartdige in this case was the .375 H&H and the poster was trying to justify his choice of the new .375 ruger. Can anyone think of a physical reason that this would happen?
The Swift often gets bad press on this account but after loading for them for an awfully long time, I'm just not getting any difference from the .22-250 when loaded to the same pressure.
Has anyone else noticed what I'm finding? or am I just magic?:D

Rufus, When a round is fired, the brass has a tendency to "flow" from the heat and compression. If you use a case like an Ackley improved case with a square shoulder, the brass tends to push against the shoulder and only flow in the neck. It may well thin around the base and flow to the area behind the shoulder. Less material to extend, therefore less extension. The H&H case is famous for case stretch as are the 270 and a few others. Try a little imperical test. Trim five cases with sloped shoulders like the 300 magnum. Load them and fire them. At the same time, size, trim and load 5 cases of 300 WSM. Fire all the rounds them measure the overall case length against what you started with. You'll find the H&H case flowed about 3 times what the WSM case flowed.

I've done that using the .300 H&H against the .300 wsm,.300srum, .300 whby and .300 rum. as long as I measure before the expander pulls out of the case(I.E. before resizing) the first three stay within about 0.001" of each. The last 2 cases grow more than the H&H case.(they should they burn a lot more powder)I've also checked the .270 win to a .280AI and they stayed about the same. To be fair though they were different brands of brass. I'll try it again if you want though.

In the first sentence I think you mean heat and pressure, compression always makes me think of squeezing down. Sent you a PM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back