Old side by sides

Bullshot

Appreciating how even “value” shotguns from 50-60 years ago have handiwork unlikely to be found on very expensive guns today. These are Mercury Magnum (Spanish imports) 12 & 20 ga. Tight actions, nice engraving, they are good guns. I killed my very first deer with that 20…1st shot I ever took at a deer…through the heart with a foster slug from 100 yards off a bead sight. Miracle shot!

Anybody have some photos of their old doubles to post up?

26586D0B-B85C-4CD5-BBAC-CDF5CF24ACAA.jpeg0E37C147-FC83-48A4-9D92-BACBC5715769.jpeg6BAD0ECF-B67F-46CB-88E4-645A564B335C.jpegC8C0D5AB-897F-40C7-92BB-D8A9239BE497.jpeg08A3F1A1-BF9D-40B3-8365-AAF60C17723C.jpeg694BD7E5-B958-4071-A27A-CD862DCA0DB9.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have pictures yet, but I recently acquired a 1928 LC Smith SxS 10 gauge at an auction. I need to take it to a gunsmith for inspection as the safety, at least, does not function correctly. I also have to figure out what I can actually shoot in it as I can't find vintage 10 gauge loads, and the fixings to load brass shells aren't cheap. Looking forward to taking it out to the duck blind, as I will have the coolest gun, whether I kill ducks or not.

QQ

I wish. My class either had a single barrel or store brand pump. Doubles were for rich folks and most of them had Auto 5s.

I've got one or two, or three, or... Dang, I can't count that high... :) Just got a new baby.
pegYOQE.jpg

Here is one of several hammer guns I have owned. It's the only one I still have.
TSLVB40.jpg

I don't have pictures yet, but I recently acquired a 1928 LC Smith SxS 10 gauge at an auction. I need to take it to a gunsmith for inspection as the safety, at least, does not function correctly. I also have to figure out what I can actually shoot in it as I can't find vintage 10 gauge loads, and the fixings to load brass shells aren't cheap. Looking forward to taking it out to the duck blind, as I will have the coolest gun, whether I kill ducks or not.

QQ

Well, disappointing to report... I took the double gun to a gunsmith this week. I knew it was old and well worn, but he had a disapproving look as soon as he started examining it. As I thought, the action was tight, but the breech face showed some signs of previous work. The retaining screws around the firing pins would not turn loose, and one had actually been filed to make it flush with the breech face. From there he said that if it looks bad on the outside, it will look worse inside. We were quickly talking about the time and cost of machining replacement parts. He never did open it up, but he also didn't charge me for the inspection. :) I guess I have a wall hanger at this point. Maybe some day I'll meet somebody who just wants to take on a project.

QQ

I've got three old AyA Matadors in 16ga, 28ga and 410. Love everything about them, almost. Single trigger guns and I really like double trigger's. Also have two Pretty new CZ Bobwhites and they both have double trigger's, 20ga and a 28ga. Don't have any photo's of them around though!

Love my doubles. This thread remind's me of a short story I read years ago. About a kid watching an older guy come out of a sporting goods store with a new English SxS. Kid felt sorry for the guy because he had to use an old double barrel gun! Kid with a hundred dollar pump feeling sorry for an old man with a $100,000 Purdey! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back