Old Penn reels.

geetar

We live in what was at one time my wife’s grandparents house. Her grandfather had an outbuilding full of the things outbuildings are full of. I started cleaning some of it out and found these 3 Penn Peerless reels attached to rods. The rods weren’t in good shape but I cleaned up the reels and set them on my bookshelf.

P.S. That doily is the wife’s doing. My brother is making me a gift of a beaver pelt he trapped this year and the doily is gonna go. 😂C4D1F228-14AB-4490-AEB2-5B387E90286A.jpeg89123197-2BBE-4ABE-8F65-9AE76DEAC063.jpeg

I’d like to have a dime for every revolution of a penn reel handle I’ve turned.
Sadly they were the industry standard for a long time.
In the late 80’s and 90’s they started farming out all the replacement parts overseas.
None of the replacements held up.
Most of the reels have been replaced by shimanos now, superior drags, more available quality replacement parts.

penn is trying to regain its market share now, but they’re struggling.

Here's an idea. I bought two cheap end table lamps and two $10 casting rods at Walmart, a couple of ceramic tiles from Home Depot, and two old closed faced reels from 2nd hand stores and made up these for my living room/man cave. The pull chain fob is a not so cheap lure without the hooks. Your Penns would require a bigger base and shade but I bet you can do something similar.20210330_091024.jpg20210330_091947.jpg

Here's an idea. I bought two cheap end table lamps and two $10 casting rods at Walmart, a couple of ceramic tiles from Home Depot, and two old closed faced reels from 2nd hand stores and made up these for my living room/man cave. The pull chain fob is a not so cheap lure without the hooks. Your Penns would require a bigger base and shade but I bet you can do something similar.View attachment 178904View attachment 178905
Classic Man-cave material!

I’d like to have a dime for every revolution of a penn reel handle I’ve turned.
Sadly they were the industry standard for a long time.
In the late 80’s and 90’s they started farming out all the replacement parts overseas.
None of the replacements held up.
Most of the reels have been replaced by shimanos now, superior drags, more available quality replacement parts.

penn is trying to regain its market share now, but they’re struggling.
Shimanos and Avets. Better drag, better gear reduction options and sized better for spectre line. But I caught thousands of fish on my old jigmasters. Loved them.

Here's an idea. I bought two cheap end table lamps and two $10 casting rods at Walmart, a couple of ceramic tiles from Home Depot, and two old closed faced reels from 2nd hand stores and made up these for my living room/man cave. The pull chain fob is a not so cheap lure without the hooks. Your Penns would require a bigger base and shade but I bet you can do something similar.
If you decide to do something like this I would suggest winding a bunch of backing stuff on the spool, then covering it tightly with a layer of monofilament or braided whatever (coloured lead core would be cool), then gluing it in place and covering with urethane. I suggest going with latex base gloss (Varathane Diamond) to give the line on the spool that wet look. Use superglue to bind the loose end of line down, snip off the end, remove the spool, paint with urethane, and put reel back together. With a full spool it will be somewhat easier to clean the dust away. Use a toothbrush for that. I have a couple of retired Penns and am liking this idea so much I may have to make a new set of lamps! In the event that the reels are taken out of retirement and put back to work, it would be easy enough to cut away the window dressing line and clear the spool for some good stuff.

Last edited:
Penn reals were built to last , that’s a nice find . Many of them are still catching fish but they also make a nice display ! Yeah I like the beaver pelt a little more than the doily ! Lol

I inherited a Penn from my grandpa. He used to fish in the ocean with it. It says Long Beach 60 on the side. It still works. I went on a guided Striper fishing trip last week and was thinking about rigging up this Penn of Papa's and taking it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_131329.jpg
    IMG_20220205_131329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220205_131339.jpg
    IMG_20220205_131339.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220205_131415.jpg
    IMG_20220205_131415.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
So I thought I’d mention the specifics of the sheds I used too. They are the only matched set I’ve found in 25 years of hunting. I found them laying just like this while turkey hunting with my little brother. C29A8313-63B9-46FF-8971-0AA5703E1996.jpeg

I inherited a Penn from my grandpa. He used to fish in the ocean with it. It says Long Beach 60 on the side. It still works. I went on a guided Striper fishing trip last week and was thinking about rigging up this Penn of Papa's and taking it.
The handle is the same as one of mine but mine are a Peerless #9 model.

Here's an idea. I bought two cheap end table lamps and two $10 casting rods at Walmart, a couple of ceramic tiles from Home Depot, and two old closed faced reels from 2nd hand stores and made up these for my living room/man cave. The pull chain fob is a not so cheap lure without the hooks. Your Penns would require a bigger base and shade but I bet you can do something similar.View attachment 178904View attachment 178905
damn, those are really nice!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back