Caribou Gear Tarp

6.5 Remington Mag

MTHunter1321

My wife’s grandfather recently passed away and she inherited a rifle that he had. Her uncle was the original owner and then sold it to her dad who then gave it to her brother when he was younger and he grew up deer hunting with it. He unfortunately passes away years ago when he was 23 due to cancer and the rifle then went into a display mount at their grandparents house.

It was one of two things that my wife wanted after he passed and when I asked her if she knew what kind of gun it was she had no idea. I came home last night and she told me she put it in my gun room so once the kids went to bed I had to go look at it.

I’d never heard of the caliber before but after some quick research knew it wasn’t just some cheap dinky rifle, and I LOVE the stock. Only downside is there is hardly any ammo available. The only place I could find was a site called Hendershots.net that custom load a range of ammo. Has anyone dealt with them before?

I have a couple of young kids and am excited for them to be able to hunt with this when the time comes. I might even have to take it out deer hunting beforehand to make sure it’s still lethal! IMG_2858.jpeg

I think you better check the recoil before you let any kids shoot that thing. Its not a toy. Very interesting stocks on some of those. I've read good things about them.

6.5 has been around for a long time. Long before they were called “six-fives.” I’m sure it will be an outstanding rifle.

I've seem a few many years ago. Seem's to me part of the downfall was the short action rifle. trying to remember, think problem was bullet's in it, seem's about all you could get in factory ammo was, I think 120gr bullet's. otherwise they had to be seated to deep to fit in the magazine. I think that was what it was. Boy that was back in the early 1970's, friend had one.

I've got a Remington 660 (20" barrel) in .243 Winchester. I love it. Very accurate with my handloads. They want big money for some of them, but I noticed that few of them sold.

Awesome rifle. Regret not buying one years ago when they were available. I would start looking for brass, great cartridge for a hand loader.

Read an article about 600’s when I was a kid and immediately wanted one. I’ve never ended up with one and only seen a few for sale ever. Neat, kinda unique gun enjoy it!

My wife’s grandfather recently passed away and she inherited a rifle that he had. Her uncle was the original owner and then sold it to her dad who then gave it to her brother when he was younger and he grew up deer hunting with it. He unfortunately passes away years ago when he was 23 due to cancer and the rifle then went into a display mount at their grandparents house.

It was one of two things that my wife wanted after he passed and when I asked her if she knew what kind of gun it was she had no idea. I came home last night and she told me she put it in my gun room so once the kids went to bed I had to go look at it.

I’d never heard of the caliber before but after some quick research knew it wasn’t just some cheap dinky rifle, and I LOVE the stock. Only downside is there is hardly any ammo available. The only place I could find was a site called Hendershots.net that custom load a range of ammo. Has anyone dealt with them before?

I have a couple of young kids and am excited for them to be able to hunt with this when the time comes. I might even have to take it out deer hunting beforehand to make sure it’s still lethal! View attachment 274810
Yes sold my 6.5 Rem 600 few weeks ago after 50 years What would you like to know ?
Handloaded for it IMR 4350 and 125gr Nosler Part exclusively. Ballistics like a 270 win great deer rifle with a little muzzle blast.

You will enjoy that rifle. Here's a picture of my son Jeff with his first antelope. He took it with one shot with his Remington Model 600 Centennial in 6mm Remington. 100 gr. Nosler Partition handload at 2800 fps out of the 18 1/2" barrel. It's a great shooting rifle. I killed my first deer and antelope with mine as well. My first antelope was TWO antelope, a buck and a doe running broadside at 50 yards full out. They both dropped at the shot. My father shot at the exact same time and killed a buck running about 20 yards behind the buck I shot, hitting the doe on the far side of him after exiting. Pretty exciting for a new hunter!

Okay after reading this again I see it's maybe clear as mud. I shot a buck and the bullet went through him and hit a doe that ran beside him at the exact same time. Dropped them both. My dad shot a buck that was running about 20 yards behind the front two which sounded almost like one shot went off.

1683490943703.png 1683490973348.png

Last edited:
Here's a start on finding brass to reload. Best of luck.

Really great cartridge. I’m bummed I didn’t buy one when Rem was clearing out the new designed 700 with the rib barrel. They were like $500 at the time!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back