Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Old pack frame, new packer

NameIsGreg

I have inherited this pack frame from my grandfather. It's been sitting in his garage "for at least 30 years" and he has decided to pass it on to me. He built it, TIG welding aluminum tubing and old backpack straps. I plan on making some modifications, like new shoulder straps, waist and chest straps, and tie downs.

Any modification input would be appreciated, specifically on pack bags.

20181106_193217.jpg

20181106_193226.jpg

20181106_193417.jpg

Wow, you don't see many like that around any more! It reminds me a lot of the Cabela's frame from years gone by! If it were me I'd try to match the straps and padded belt made by Kifaru. It will be a lot more comfortable! I'm not sure if Kifaru, Stone Glacier or other company would sell them and you could somehow mount them on your frame? Load lifters would also help a bunch with hefty loads.

Ive packed a bunch of bulls on similar frames as have hundreds of other hunters. The shoulder straps will pinch the shit outta your shoulders. Add some kind of lifter attachment if you can. Other than that they'll pack meat.
Have fun with it.

Last edited:
First thing to do is to get the weight shifted to your hips and off your upper torso. It needs a Belt added or plan to never carry much weight with your heirloom packframe.

Well, after fooling around trying to get this heirloom pack frame to be comfortable and functional, I took some advice from a good buddy who hasn't led me astray (yet). So it's hanging up on my wall like an ornament and I dropped some money on an exo k2 3500. Sorry grandpa.

You won’t be disappointed with your new pack. I own the same one and really like it. You could look at adapting a molle, military style frame and straps to your older one. I bought one to mount to my climber so it’s easier to get through the woods. Works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back