Old Guns Still used to Hunt, Let’s See Them

That 520 is wicked cool. Nice shotgun!
I have one of those in the safe from my late wife's family homestead in Sask. Might be J.C. Higgins or Marlin. All the same gun. Definitely not John Browning's best work! Heavy to carry and rough to cycle. His next effort at pump shotgun was much better. More or less still with us as Ithaca 37. Interesting that all three of his pump designs - Win 97, the "Squarebacks," and Ithaca 37 - would slam fire. Ithaca eventually fixed it.

I love these kinds of threads. There are some especially cool shotguns I know nothing about. Great gawkin' for me.

Meanwhile, you guys have seen quite a few of my guns already. I'm fighting to find something different to show you or at least something you haven't seen 27 times.

In the shotgun world, this one is my grandfather's and granduncles' 1897 Winchester. One of them took it from the family farm in Iowa to Montana, where he stuffed a bunch of licenses under the buttplate (always check for treasure under the buttplate and grip cap!). They start in 1917.

20180416_191936.jpg

In the rimfire department, I grew up with a gun in my hand most of every summer. This one was from the other side of the family. It's an 1890 Winchester (I love ALL winchesters that start with "18").
20161125_163000.jpg

The other childhood .22 was this one. I think my maternal grandfather may have used it to shoot loons in Minnesota. Apparently he hated them for the noise they made. This is second hand info, however. I used it to shoot squirrels but it is tiny and nearly weightless, so when I met some guy at someone's retirement party and we got to talking about shooting and how his little girl and his even littler boy needed a .22 to shoot, I gifted him this one. Sorta wish I hadn't, but I have one one else to give it to. Never heard back about it.
20150321_153057_resized.jpg

In the Centerfire department, I'm going to get all modernish on ya. But nonetheless, this gun does start with an "18". I'm struggling to see barrel sights and even aperture sights aren't cutting it. Plus, I feel it will be likely that I will need a gun that shoots nontox bullets. This one is just odd enough to suit me, though awfully ugly. Then again, it has some charm, somehow. Anyway, I need to figure out how to get these parts to fit together. Need a less crappy picture too. Sorry about that.

Krag and scope B.jpg

So there you have it one shotgun, two rimfires, and a centerfire.

I believe we will see a new HTer on these vintage guns soon. He is beginning to wade into ever deeper water. It may not be long before he slips in over his head :)

And why isn't EVERYONE here, looking for classic, vintage rifles and shotties? (not that I want more competition at the auction houses)

And, oh yeah, HAPPY NATIONAL GOLDEN RETRIEVER DAY!20211128 Gus on a Stump B.jpg

My Dad’s 22 squirrel rifle. He bought it in 1964 for 25 dollars. It was the first rifle he ever bought. Remington bolt action 22 short or long. He carved the squirrel in the stock the weekend before he shipped out to Vietnam. It’s still a very accurate rifle.

Attachments

• 9D38F818-3FA4-47B2-99A3-18353E44E9B4.jpeg
    9D38F818-3FA4-47B2-99A3-18353E44E9B4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • F36E9642-B78C-4650-848F-C0FD2DCFFDA0.jpeg
    F36E9642-B78C-4650-848F-C0FD2DCFFDA0.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
My son and I still use a "Model of 1917" 30-06 that was originally built for WWI.

Dad bought it surplus after WWII, and sporterized it. I updated it in the 1990's with a scope and a B&C stock.

My son has used it the past ten years or so and has taken two bear and at least a couple of buck deer with it. Good old rifle still.
HCAU0Spl.jpg

Guy

Last edited:
Careful what you wish for

View attachment 211084
It could be worse. A few years back while hunting my two Labs and Fr Britt very hard in Montana, I switched them to fancy high protein Purina dogfood. I paid a high price and more than just the $$$. Had a pizza at the bar and watched the tail end of Monday Night Football. When I opened the Jimmy door the stench almost knocked me over. Multiply your dog's mess by three ... and the excretions were all from the other end! I just shut the door and headed down the street to the grocery store for a mop bucket and paper towels ... and different dogfood. What a chorus of whines, howls, and barks as I walked away from the vehicle. Poor buggers. On a hot summer day I can sometimes still smell it in the Jimmy.

My son and I still use a "Model of 1917" 30-06 that was originally built for WWI.

Dad bought it surplus after WWII, and sporterized it. I updated it in the 1990's with a scope and a B&C stock.

My son has used it the past ten years or so and has taken two bear and at least a couple of buck deer with it. Good old rifle still.
HCAU0Spl.jpg

Guy

I've got a Winchester P14 1917 in 338 Win Mag that's a sub MOA rifle with handloads. It's a beast of an action but those old Enfields are wicked good actions. I switched out the stock for a Remington Model 30 Express I picked up from @Durango Mike to make it moreof a classic, but that heavy SOB is serious elk medicine.

1643986936201.png

HCAU0Spl.jpg

Guy
Dad bought one of those sporterized for my youngest brother for his 12th birthday (1968?). He still has it. Heavy beast built like a tank. I'm told the action can handle 300 H&H. They were supremely accurate and sought after by snipers. Apparently more US soldiers were sent to the trenches with 1917 Enfield than 1903 Springfield. Besides their heavier weight, the other differences were Enfield cocked on closing and held an additional shell in the magazine (6 vs Springfield's 5 though I'm not sure the Enfield bolt can be closed with full magazine). It's interesting that Brits insisted @#)(# on closing provided much faster rate of fire. I don't get that. But as any military historian knows, the British general staff had their heads shoved pretty far up their asses at the start of WWI.

I've got a Winchester P14 1917 in 338 Win Mag that's a sub MOA rifle with handloads. It's a beast of an action but those old Enfields are wicked good actions. I switched out the stock for a Remington Model 30 Express I picked up from @Durango Mike to make it moreof a classic, but that heavy SOB is serious elk medicine.

View attachment 211136
Interesting. Did you have to change the magazine to get it to fit in that stock?

Interesting. Did you have to change the magazine to get it to fit in that stock?

It was a used rifle I picked up for about $300 in 2007 or so. All of the work is custom from D. Hetland, whom I haven't been able to track down. The 338 WM & 30-06 both have 3.340 Overall Length, so the box is still standard. The magazine holds 5 rounds, rather than 6 though.

The stock looks to be an old Fajen or something similar. It was designed for that action.

The actions are long enough to handle up to 375 H&H Mag, or even 505 Gibbs. They were overbuilt for heavy use, so they make great custom actions for magnums, and they were used in the 20's & 30's to help bring African Dangerous Game rifles to the working class, resulting in a great equalization of opportunity in that aspect. Since these were originally designed for the 303 british round as a supplement to the Enfield MK's, they had a bolt face for rimmed cartridges. When the US entered into WWI, they didn't have enough Springfields, but the major gun companies were tooled up for the P17's, so they adapted them to work with the 30 Gov't and they became legends to Americans for a century.

Last edited:
It was a used rifle I picked up for about $300 in 2007 or so. All of the work is custom from D. Hetland, whom I haven't been able to track down. The 338 WM & 30-06 both have 3.340 Overall Length, so the box is still standard. The magazine holds 5 rounds, rather than 6 though.

The stock looks to be an old Fajen or something similar. It was designed for that action.
From looking at it I thought your gun's box must have been changed. Look at the other fella's image. See how bulgy the military magazine box is due to sixth round. Stripper clips only held five rounds so this design really didn't make a lot of sense from a military perspective. Can you close the bolt on your gun with a full magazine? My Springfield's maximum capacity is six rounds if I fully load magazine, drop a round in the chamber, and close the bolt as I depress shells in the magazine. I presume Enfield has 3-position safety? Guess I could look. I have a 1917 .303 clunker in storage but I understand they are not the same gun in several respects besides the barrel. I have also read early Winchester production was somewhat unique in that not all parts were interchangeable with others being made at the same time. However, I think it was sorted out before P14?

It's the same action with the 303 & the 06. The issue with the belly in the mag was because it was designed for the rimmed 303 brit. The 303 Brit version held 5, because that's what the magazine was originally designed for, and wartime production didn't have the luxury of redesigning the box on top of switching out the bolt face & barrel.

I can close the bolt w/5 in the magazine, but I don't remember about 5 +1.

The actions are long enough to handle up to 375 H&H Mag, or even 505 Gibbs. They were overbuilt for heavy use, so they make great custom actions for magnums, and they were used in the 20's & 30's to help bring African Dangerous Game rifles to the working class, resulting in a great equalization of opportunity in that aspect. Since these were originally designed for the 303 british round as a supplement to the Enfield MK's, they had a bolt face for rimmed cartridges. When the US entered into WWI, they didn't have enough Springfields, but the major gun companies were tooled up for the P17's, so they adapted them to work with the 30 Gov't and they became legends to Americans for a century.
Thanks for that info. .505 Gibbs, eh? Maybe I can do something interesting with this clunker and put together a dangerous game gun. I'm developing an addiction to cape buffalo. Someday you'll see why.

You have shown that the bulkiness can be trimmed down by changing the magazine. I always thought that should be easily remedied. Bolts can be changed to @#)(# on open. It seems that was the first thing addressed in early sporterizing of 20s and 30s. The big obstacle to sporterizing one of these is the f<%$ng military rear sight. The huge winged housing is integral part of the receiver and the metal is extremely HARD. My African hunting buddy gunsmith (whom I'm afraid may have died this past week) wrecked half a dozen shaper bits trying to finish one up. He said it took forever to grind off those ears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back