Old Frat with nothing better to do

Gunner46

When I bought my Ruger77, it was because I had decided I "Needed" a 7/08.

It's a limited edition, blued barrel, synthetic stock. Nice little whitetail/ blk bear/ hog rifle for my Eastern jaunts.

Got nothing else better to waste my money and time on, so why not trick it out a smigg.

But right now it's just kinda Blahh.

Here's what I'm thinking

New Paint job, something camo-ish, but stands out & sez Wow.
Trigger job, just a tune, not a replacement.
Cutting it down to 20" for a brake, or leaving at 22" for a port
Glass bed the receiver, and free float the barrel.

I want it to express a statement. " Been there, Shot that, Rock & Roll".

Let's see some professional input and stupid suggestions. :)

Last edited:
Minnesotahunter: quite a different "trophy" pick from those generally shown on HuntTalk. Glad you guys won that one!

A) You can get an adjustable replacement trigger for about the price most smiths will charge for a Ruger tune...I know because I own a few Rugers and have done both. Something to consider. The replacement triggers are darn good. When smiths mess with the factory triggers, they usually have to leave a lot of travel in them.

B) A brake on a 7mm-08? Go ahead and wax your mangina while you're at it.

C) I don't think I'd mess around with glass bedding a Ruger factory stock. Just not worth it. If the rifle shoots good, leave it as it is. If the rifle shoots bad, buy something like a McMillan or a Bansner and start from there. But messing with factory stocks is throwing money into the garbage.

To the first 3 responders. I'd like to offer a single finger salute for your compassionate responses.

My right shoulder was broken in 3 places, my cranium split bow to stern, and my ankle wrenched in directions it was not meant to be.

I can't take a .338 Mag recoil, like I did back when I was 30. Nor a 30/06's recoil.

Thank you for your input and for being so understanding !

Would y'all care to make some more comments on our other Vets posts, and degrade their requirements?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back