O'Konners: Like Father, Like Son, Like Grandfather

JoseCuervo

Jack O,
I am trying to keep up with all your stories, so I tried to keep them in one spot.

Jack O'Conner
Member # 1326
posted 03-12-2003 10:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About 8 years ago, I was deer hunting in Fall River County near the Wyoming line. "Any deer" tag in my pocket. National I saw a single doe way out there by herself.
... When I squeezed she dropped.

When I walked over to the dead doe, it was a lot closer than I'd guess-timated. Turned out I shot a fawn that had no spots at all.

Jack O'Conner
Member # 1326
posted 05-01-2003 11:14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I recall, it was the last weekend of deer season in 1969. Dad and me hunted the west-facing foothills of the Bighorn Mts.

After lunch, we walked out to the edge of a large sage dotted hillside and a nice sized forked horn buck stood up. Distance was about 120 yards. Dad raised his 300 Savage and aimed briefly before the rifle barked.

As we dressed out the buck, ....I found a full sized doe lying in blood smeared knee high grass with a thumb sized chunk of backbone missing. . ... His heavy 300 Savage bullet had penetrated the buck's ribcage with enough energy remaining to knock over this doe

Jack O'Conner

Member # 1326 posted 04-29-2003 1:34
Here is a family story for you.

Grandad told us about being awoken at "dark thirty" by his barking dog. .... Grandad loaded his old "thirty" and lit the rusty lantern. A very large bear was seen pawing up the garden.

Next morning, Grandad went outside to look at the bear and the damage to his garden. But the bear was not "blackie". This one had the silver-tipped hairs and huge claws of a mountain grizzley!

Jack,

I kind of have to ask, but does anybody in your family have a clue what they are shooting, before they pull the trigger?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You have pretty much convinced me that your idea of $29 binoculars is a wee bit dangerous to any innocent bystanders or extra animals in the woods.
wink.gif

The question is, does anyone have a clue?

Of course. Between my Dad, me, and Grandad well over 200 deer have have been harvested.
But I thought I'd share a few of the more interesting or unusual events with you.
Jack
smile.gif

Personally,I like the stories. I can see how each instance could have easily happened.In 25 years of hunting I have made some major mistakes myself, and seen some real strange bull***t happen.

Heck,just today something very strange happened,but I choose not to tell it because I don't like to talk about people.Let's just say a valuable lesson I learned long ago and had forgotten was reinforced today.

I believe the stories are true,but even if they were fictitious, I'd still like reading them.

Keep'em coming Jack,and thanks.

I find the stories interestingtoo, BUt I have to giggle and think... 200 deer ? Are ya sure some weren't caribou or moose
wink.gif

200 deer for 3 generations of hunters is not that unbelievable Moosie,even taking past hunting regs into account.

Seldom Ever.. I wasn't questioning the Legality of the deer or that it could be done, I was making a joke that they shoot deer behind other deer, black bear that are Griz's and fawns without spots....

Geshhhh Seldom
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I enjoy the story's.
It's nice to see someone post about thing's that can go wrong as well as thing's that go as planned.
Most people that hunt long enough will have a few (Oh Shit)story's .
But as we know some are just to impressed with thereself to post about those's.
wink.gif
wink.gif

The story about shooting the fawn hit home with me LOL.
I shot a fawn antelope one year and learned a GOOD lession .
If I have a doe tag and I see a lone animal,I take extra time checking it over and thinking about the size,I was real mad at myself for shooting that fawn ,thinking it was a doe
eek.gif
eek.gif
Oh well shit happen's and I learned the hard way.
All legal but with antelope being so small so I had hoped to at least get a decent doe.
One can only take so much of the PC Crap,then we need some real hunting story's.
I guess sometime ya just have to (wound em to death) eh moosie?
wink.gif
wink.gif

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back