MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Oklahoma Mule Deer

tradguy92

Has anybody on here ever hunted mule deer in western Oklahoma? Thinking about trying my luck this fall and looking for any possible tips.

From my understanding, the panhandle is your best opportunity. I’ll be out there chasing pronghorn with a bow and keeping my eyes peeled for muleys.

I’ve also heard they can be found occasionally around Black Kettle and Packsaddle. I’ve hunted Packsaddle multiple times and never seen one.

Never seen one on public land in Oklahoma. If you are from Oklahoma I understand but if you are a NR there are better opportunities, even Nebraska is a better opportunity for NR mule deer hunting on public land.

Right now the best hunting opportunity on public land in Oklahoma is archery antelope IMO. The walk in program has opened up some good property.

Might consider archery mule deer hunting on the walk in properties in the Western part of the state.

I’m a resident and don’t even try to hunt them here on public. I take my money and time to other states to hunt mulies. For the price of NR license, I wouldn’t want to hunt public in Oklahoma for mule deer. There are a lot better states with OTC tags or 0 point units to hunt. You’ll have a lot better success too.
The whitetail hunting on public can be good.

I've killed 2 one on private in Cimarron county and one on Beaver River wma in Beaver county. Lots of mule deer in the panhandle just not lots of public land. Seen some on Rita Blanca wma while antelope hunting in 2017. As others have said unless your goal is to specifically shoot a mule deer in Oklahoma there are a ton of better options. But if that is your goal I wouldn't waste your time anywhere but the panhandle start in Cimarron county and move east. OLAP did open up quite a bit of land in the panhandle but be careful a lot of it is archery only for big game or they allow bird and antelope hunting but not deer.

I am an Oklahoma resident on a budget. So public land archery mule deer is my goal. I have been looking at Beaver River and the Rita Blanca on google maps. I have heard there are mulies on Black Kettle, but harvest reports show highest numbers in the panhandle.

I’ve been hunting nw ok for 20 yrs ..mainly woods county and north of the cimarron ..river and canyon land...I have passed on many of the occasional 140” muledeer hoping to see him make 180 in the next few years...generally they are 15 miles away long gone...what few there are don’t last... most of the pocket heards are in the rugged gypsum parallel to the rivers...but not so much in the bottoms...most are in Woodward co south of the cimarron but there is a am pocket just south of the Kansas line west of Alva in the gyps...Ted turner had a big ranch north of there with good muledeer on it...but bison and oilfield really messed it up... I think a touch of blue tounge wipes out a good portion too...they are down about 50 percent on the harvest

I’ve been hunting nw ok for 20 yrs ..mainly woods county and north of the cimarron ..river and canyon land...I have passed on many of the occasional 140” muledeer hoping to see him make 180 in the next few years...generally they are 15 miles away long gone...what few there are don’t last... most of the pocket heards are in the rugged gypsum parallel to the rivers...but not so much in the bottoms...most are in Woodward co south of the cimarron but there is a am pocket just south of the Kansas line west of Alva in the gyps...Ted turner had a big ranch north of there with good muledeer on it...but bison and oilfield really messed it up... I think a touch of blue tounge wipes out a good portion too...they are down about 50 percent on the harvest

Have you ever hunted much in Washita County for whitetail?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back