Oiling the Walnut Stock on my Pre-64 Model 70 in .270

Mustangs Rule

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2021
Messages
1,190
Oiling the walnut stock on my Pre-64 Model 70, 270

No need to oil anything, goes unmet by me

It is so satisfying for me to apply and rub in oil on my objects made of wood and leather.

I use boiled linseed oil on the handles of my pitchforks, scythes, axes, hatchets, hammers, splitting mauls and even the wood frame of my huge old wheelbarrow. I even oil my short and long homemade wooden shooting sticks.

Every fall after doing my building projects I clean my wooden levels and wipe them down and apply a coat of boiled lineseed oil. I have two favorite levels. One is two feet long and made out of cherry wood. Cherry is so cheery.

The other is a large walnut and brass edged “Peerless” brand level, made in Walnut, Illinois 61376. They are long out of business with levels now being made in steel, then aluminum, and now plastic.

A wooden level is so warm to my bare hands in the winter.

I do cheat when applying Neatsfoot oil to my hunting boots and cowboy boots, saddles and tack. I use a spray bottle then rub the oil in.

I hand apply a protective oil to my little house on the prairie, hay barn and horse barn. It allows the wood to age naturally. The wood for the siding came from a small local sawmill cutting native lumber. The wood tone changes beautifully with time.

I oil the knife sheaths, which I make from harness grade leather and sew together with thin copper wire, and take great pleasure in oiling a custom rifle scabbard I had a saddle maker make. The space for scope is low intentionally. Big modern rifle scopes would never fit and i have no interest in them.

Of all the things I like to oil the most however, nothing is as pleasurable as my standard grade Model 70 Winchester in .270.

I bought it used in a pawn shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming forty years ago. A widow brought it in to sell. It belonged to her Cowboy husband who bought it brand new when he came back from the Korean War and they got married. It was his only ever rifle.

Sometimes a stock finish can get worn down "just perfectly" by time, sun, handling and going in and out of a saddle scabbard for decades. No abuse, just lots of honest even romantic use. The gun metal and scope can get obviously saddle scabbard worn too.

Since leaving my desert mountain home of 28 years to live and hunt in the PNW, I have bought a rainy-day rifle. It is a Sako Stainless Synthetic Finnlight in 308.

When the sun shines however, which is most of the season here, I like being afield with my old model 70. There is something so “young making” for my rifle and me too, to put it on a table I made myself, in warm sun, and see it’s old stock look so new and sparkling again as I rub on the oil and see it being absorbed deep into that beautiful American walnut grain.
 
Last edited:
Just a few more comments about this rifle.

The wood stock has been so gently smoothed by calloused hands, hands in leather gloves and by going in and out of a leather saddle scabbard that the original checkering is just barely there.

I took off the original weaver fixed 4 x scope and replaced it with a simple dull finished old Burris 3 to 9 with hash marks from 100 to 500 yards

I put on a Military thicker, wider, harness grade leather Whelen Sling made soft and flexible with use and being oiled.

The overall blue metal finish has no rust but has dulled over 70 years.

It is standard weight, not a spindly featherweight and looks very much like the smooth oil finished walnut stocked model 70 Winchesters used as sniper rifles by Marines in the Vietnam War,

With cheap lead core bullets at 400 yards at the range, off the bench it will hold groups well under 4 inches.

With Barnes TTSXBT 130 grain bullets it will hold three shot groups WELL under 3 inches at 400 yards.

Under somewhat windy field conditions, with no rests, just using the Whelen sling, sitting on the ground I can hold 6-8 inch groups at 400 yards.
 
I'm a firm believer in applying a coat or two of BLO to my oiled stocks after the season. It really does help retain the finish, and protect the wood.

If you haven't tried it yet, get some alkanet root (not powder) and put it in a jar with some BLO for about 6 months to 6 decades and use it. It's the same formula as British red oil used in london finishes, and it helps draw out the grain & character of the wood more with the increased color contrast.
 
Oiling the walnut stock on my Pre-64 Model 70, 270

No need to oil anything, goes unmet by me

It is so satisfying for me to apply and rub in oil on my objects made of wood and leather.

I use boiled linseed oil on the handles of my pitchforks, scythes, axes, hatchets, hammers, splitting mauls and even the wood frame of my huge old wheelbarrow. I even oil my short and long homemade wooden shooting sticks.

Every fall after doing my building projects I clean my wooden levels and wipe them down and apply a coat of boiled lineseed oil. I have two favorite levels. One is two feet long and made out of cherry wood. Cherry is so cheery.

The other is a large walnut and brass edged “Peerless” brand level, made in Walnut, Illinois 61376. They are long out of business with levels now being made in steel, then aluminum, and now plastic.

A wooden level is so warm to my bare hands in the winter.

I do cheat when applying Neatsfoot oil to my hunting boots and cowboy boots, saddles and tack. I use a spray bottle then rub the oil in.

I hand apply a protective oil to my little house on the prairie, hay barn and horse barn. It allows the wood to age naturally. The wood for the siding came from a small local sawmill cutting native lumber. The wood tone changes beautifully with time.

I oil the knife sheaths, which I make from harness grade leather and sew together with thin copper wire, and take great pleasure in oiling a custom rifle scabbard I had a saddle maker make. The space for scope is low intentionally. Big modern rifle scopes would never fit and i have no interest in them.

Of all the things I like to oil the most however, nothing is as pleasurable as my standard grade Model 70 Winchester in .270.

I bought it used in a pawn shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming forty years ago. A widow brought it in to sell. It belonged to her Cowboy husband who bought it brand new when he came back from the Korean War and they got married. It was his only ever rifle.

Sometimes a stock finish can get worn down "just perfectly" by time, sun, handling and going in and out of a saddle scabbard for decades. No abuse, just lots of honest even romantic use. The gun metal and scope can get obviously saddle scabbard worn too.

Since leaving my desert mountain home of 28 years to live and hunt in the PNW, I have bought a rainy-day rifle. It is a Sako Stainless Synthetic Finnlight in 308.

When the sun shines however, which is most of the season here, I like being afield with my old model 70. There is something so “young making” for my rifle and me too, to put it on a table I made myself, in warm sun, and see it’s old stock look so new and sparkling again as I rub on the oil and see it being absorbed deep into that beautiful American walnut grain.
1791484511900.png
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,160
Messages
2,251,840
Members
39,105
Latest member
Booner
Back
Top