Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

***OFFICIAL*** 2023 SPRING BEAR THREAD

Holy moly it’s been a wet few days. Some bears, all got a pass.

img_5301-jpeg.277198

View attachment 277199

View attachment 277200

View attachment 277201

I’m not sure how else to describe it, this bear just had the dumbest look on its face.
View attachment 277203

View attachment 277204

View attachment 277207
Dude, none of those are tiny, though I guess none are huge either, but com'on someone has to save this thread.

it's embarrassing. I mean if WA still had a spring bear season...

We saw three bears last night. We thought it was a nice solo boar but on further glassing two yearling boars appeared. We’re still debating if it was a big sow with the yearlings or actually three boars.

Situation prevented a stalk. We didn’t want to shoot a sow by mistake. A lot of double checking would have occurred before a trigger was pulled.

We’ll be back soon.

Dude, none of those are tiny, though I guess none are huge either, but com'on someone has to save this thread.

it's embarrassing. I mean if WA still had a spring bear season...
So far the thread’s depressing enough. It was a pretty late Green up though so there is that. But you still didn’t have to throw salt in the wound.

Yesterday I nearly went for a swim more than once crossing the creek, post holed and snowshoed a few hours each way, sat in the rain and shivered for about 4 hours, got soaked to the balls, and saw zero big bears. Just trying to do my part to uninfluence.
So, ball-busting work that results in not packing anything out? Yep, that sounds about right for my hunts. 😩

Now back to my observation post on the sidelines...

I know that there hasn't been much for dead bears posted yet but, you can't say it's over and ring the gong

The action is just getting good and the rut is gonna be coming on.

There will Some bruins becoming famous after this weekend i bet. So everyone needs to....

He beat me again tonight. Been quite the cat and mouse the last couple weeks. Time for a change. The blonde sow he is with my GF wanted to shoot earlier in the year so we tried to kill her. I’m not sure if it’s cause I shot her last BF or what but she is educated!! I have discovered any time I drive my quad into the bait which I do everytine I bait she won’t show up again that day. Never had this issues before usually the baiting process is a dinner bell and drags them in especially younger bears. Monday night I parked my usual spot but I didn’t have to bait so I didn’t to drive in. That night they were in like 15 minutes after shooting light, tueday night I had to work and he came in with a cinnamon sow at 630, last night back in with the blonde sow right at the end of shooting light. Next time I hunt I’ll park a bit further Back and won’t need to bait. If that doesn’t work I’ll do the same but sit back in the ground 50 yards behind my stand. I have a narrow shooting lane but I’m hesitant for Thai option as the last half hour of light I probably won’t be able to see good enough to avoid the small sticks. I should have killed him may 17 he came in 15 minutes after I left when I left early that night due to it being cold and windy and seeing by bears I figured nothing else was coming
05230072.jpeg05230065.jpeg

Schoooool's out for the summer! (Unfortunately not forever)

Dropping my wife and daughter off at the airport then hitting the road, 9 hr drive to the TH. Will be backpacking in tomorrow morning for 6 days, and hopefully be able to contribute to this thread in some way, shape or form by next weekend.

Welcome to HT spring bear thread. You have made it through 23 pages and 3 bears. I can't go this year with graduation and coaching commitments so I am just going to post what I hope what we can get going on this page. Say the state you are hunting maybe general area and elevation and then write up with some nice pictures what happened. Like this...

My daughter called me and didn't know what animal to make for paper mache art project. I said make a bear so I can post on HT what one looks like. 4 weeks later after dumping some rotting beaver carcasses cause I didn't go because of the snow in April my daughter brings this home. So here is a nice grip and grin photo of Ohio bear. (Illegal to shoot real one) Hopefully this fall or next spring I will get one for real. I think she did a really nice job.20230527_100327.jpg

Passed up one of the bigger bears I have ever passed tonight. Still holding out for that real big one I have been after the last couple weeks. Think it’s going to be giant or bust this spring.

Had a great hunt with my dad! Got to watch him take his first bear. The boar stepped out 200 yards below where we were glassing from, almost as if he was being gifted to us for our past bear hunts that didn't produce. Had a total of four stream crossing to get back to the truck, we didn't feel safe crossing on deadfall with loaded packs so we waded them..made for a very wet and memorable pack out. It was a great adventure that we'll both never forget.

Attachments

• 20230514_172907.jpg
    20230514_172907.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back