Offensive, I’m offended

Up in Northwest Ne antelope hunting last year and my buddy was all paranoid about snakes. We’re crawling along and I told him all they years and miles I’ve put on up there I’ve never bumped into a rattlesnake. We go about 50 more yards and boom, there’s a snake. He gave me the the look almost everyone does when I say something. That “Dude you are the dumbest SOB alive” look.

Say hello to my little friend. I was in a meeting this morning and my boss took a phone call on my phone from a lady who had a timber rattlesnake in her yard. She lives in prime rattlesnake territory and knows how to handle them. She had got it into a 55 gallon garbage barrel and wanted to know if we wanted it for our cage. We already have a snake but this one was so impressive we have it in our cage. We will release both of the timber rattlers in September back to their den site, but for now they will be used for education on the importance of the snakes. We have also used them with paramedics and first responders to practice for what to do if/when someone gets bitten.
View attachment 187574
View attachment 187575
That is one mean looking SOB…

That is one mean looking SOB…
I was trying to get both of them to eat today. They’d follow every move of those mice but not strike and eat them. I hate rattlesnakes; probably for a different reason then most people.

Attachments

• 83DA33D7-A830-412C-A0C1-732053D5A41E.jpeg
    83DA33D7-A830-412C-A0C1-732053D5A41E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
1629952739791.jpeg
Anyone know what kind of snake this is, my brother sent this to me say he was now questioning wether to hunt or not down there… From looking it up it looks like a timber rattler but way bigger than the books say they grow to. I guess the guy who took the pic saw 4 that size.

View attachment 192434
Anyone know what kind of snake this is, my brother sent this to me say he was now questioning wether to hunt or not down there… From looking it up it looks like a timber rattler but way bigger than the books say they grow to. I guess the guy who took the pic saw 4 that size.
Thats 100% a timber/canebreak but something about that picture just looks 'off' to me. Wouldn't surprise me if it were photoshopped.

View attachment 192434
100% timber rattle snake. Timber rattle snakes are the only rattlers with black bands around their body. As far as climbing that tree goes, it’s very difficult for pit vipers to climb straight up and down trees.

Yeah I thought the same thing, either way, I’m running the other way screaming and crying if I saw that. I don’t like snakes at all.
I hunt in prime timber rattler habitat and I'm a little disappointed I've never seen one. I do get a little nervous when the cicadas get so loud I would never hear a rattle though.

#3 that I've had to relocate at work this week. You'd be amazed at how many people turn into giant babies when they see even a tiny little snake like this one.

That's a coffee cup, for anyone wondering.

PXL_20210829_180933754.jpg

#3 that I've had to relocate at work this week. You'd be amazed at how many people turn into giant babies when they see even a tiny little snake like this one.

View attachment 192779
I brought home a brown snake like that one time in a country crock butter dish with intentions of taking it to our nature center in the morning. My wife went to make toast the next morning and was not pleased with the butter dish I had left on the table.

View attachment 192779
I'm one of those that turn into a giant baby. While working in the garden this week my 9 year old came and surprised me with a small snake that was no bigger than a nightcrawler. I screamed like a little girl and ran the other direction, while him and my other kids stood there laughing.

View attachment 192434
uh ya. nope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back