Off the shelf or DIY first aid kit?

CJnGA

I know when buying tool sets, "the way they get ya'" is by including 30 ridiculously small sized Allen wrenches in the number of tools included to pad the total number of tools included in the set. Does that same thing happen with first aid kits? Are they loaded with stuff that is effectively useless to give a warm fuzzy to the person buying it? Is it better to buy stuff individually and create your own kit?

If you don't' have a skillset above basic first aid, then buy what the premade kits. If you are a WFR or WEMT then you will begin to tailor kits to situations, certifications, and real-world use. Personally, I carry a very small kit on me this basically booboos or massive hemorrhage. Then I have a kit in the truck that is much more robust. I look at medical situations in two ways: can I suck it up and move on, or do I need to evac?

If you haven't done a WFR or higher, do it. Knowledge weighs nothing.

basically booboos or massive hemorrhage.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. Bleeding from puncture or laceration is probably gonna be the most likely injury you will need to treat. A few band aids and a SWAT -T elastic tourniquet can go a long ways. The elastic tourniquet can be used as compression for a dressing or even wrap a sprained ankle, doesn't have to be used as blood constricting tourniquet.
OIP.y-ILm328EE04zzAwZEeQHQHaHY

I carry ibuprofen, Benadryl, immodium, a little bit of gauze, a couple bandaids, a tiny tube of Neosporin, a small roll of vet wrap, and a tourniquet. The tourniquet is the most important thing and it is for bears, knives, bullets, or broadheads.

Mole skin. Always carry too much mole skin.

Big sheets of it that you can cut up, not the precut crap. Make sure it's thick too.

Edit: I have this one, and I like it. Be sure to get the refill kit each year, and supplement with whatever you will need the most of. For me, that's advil, tylenol and aforementioned mole skin. extra vet wrap and waterproof medical tape usually come in handy at some point during the season.

Last edited:
I feel like if you get a good quality kit to start with the included items are usually useful, then customize from there as you ID needed items and replace commonly used stuff.

Agree WFR is a great course, did it years ago and never recertified but I've always wanted to do it again, just a big commitment.

I buy and add to it. I remember hearing a medic or corpsman say the mantra two is one and one is none. Have at least two of everything critical, like tourniquets and quick clot, needles and some suture material or super glue and bandage or gauze. Everything else is based on experience. I'll stock up on benedryl and, if in high country, diamox but I may not take a bunch of immodium as I don't usually have those problems

I got a first aid kit a few years back from Cabela's or Bass Pro as a Christmas gift and never really thumbed through it so I didn't know exactly what was in there. Last year, we had a guy stop someone from our group and ask if they had a kit as they'd cut themselves pretty bad. The guy from my group knew I always had a first aid kit on hand so they got me to the injured guy and it was at that moment, I realized I wasn't prepared. I've had multiple first aid trainings so I was fine with the injury but I had no idea what I had in my kit. I had to dump everything out to know what I had before I could actually start to work the situation. That's a pretty shitty feeling to have.

I'm glad I had bandages and was able to gauze him up but if I'd taken the time to know what resources I had, it could've really made the difference.

Thanks, folks. I'll go with off-the-shelf to start with as I have no formal training. I looked at WFA and WFR courses a month or so ago, but nothing really in my area (GA) - they seem to be mostly offered out west. I was hoping to find something online, but haven't stumbled on anything there yet, either.

Thanks again..
CJ

Online course? Here ya go. Focused on managing life threatening bleeding. You’ll have a better idea of what to do with that tourniquet and quick clot. Also….these are two items to buy from a reputable retailer (I like North American rescue). Too many counterfeits out there, and it’s a dark day when the windlass on your Amazon tourniquet breaks.

Thanks, folks. I'll go with off-the-shelf to start with as I have no formal training. I looked at WFA and WFR courses a month or so ago, but nothing really in my area (GA) - they seem to be mostly offered out west. I was hoping to find something online, but haven't stumbled on anything there yet, either.

Thanks again..
CJ
Check out Randall’s adventure training. You can google it. It’s in Gadsden, Al. The lead instructor lives in Ga. they will be offering a WFR next year I believe. Just have to keep checking back with them. They have several good courses though.

Check out Randall’s adventure training. You can google it. It’s in Gadsden, Al. The lead instructor lives in Ga. they will be offering a WFR next year I believe. Just have to keep checking back with them. They have several good courses though.

Thanks for the suggestion. Man... I found a lot of their other courses I would like to take, too! Not being former military or LEO, all the 'skills' I've obtained have been self-taught (or dumb luck), so it would be good to get some training in the 'correct' way to do things related to survival and outdoorsmanship.

Thanks for the suggestion. Man... I found a lot of their other courses I would like to take, too! Not being former military or LEO, all the 'skills' I've obtained have been self-taught (or dumb luck), so it would be good to get some training in the 'correct' way to do things related to survival and outdoorsmanship.
Yeah, they have a great attitude with everyone. They don’t treat peopl like idiots if you don’t know things you feel you should know.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back